River cruiser

Freelife

Featured Posts

the answer is "that depends".

If the mooring is a proper residential mooring then yes.

If it is a leisure mooring then the true answer is no but many marinas do a Nelson but impose restrictions like not using the marina address for mail. On this type of mooring you can be told to leave with no reason being given. There also may be a price to pay for the blind eye.

If it is a leisure mooring then the true answer is no but many marinas do a Nelson but impose restrictions like not using the marina address for mail. On this type of mooring you can be told to leave with no reason being given. So the  answer is maybe.

Yet other marinas will just say no.

Edited by Tony Brooks

16 minutes ago, Freelife said:

Hi I have bought a 33ft river cruiser to eventually live on.

I have a secure mooring on a marina is it possible? Thank you

Do you mean the boat or the marina?

Regarding the boat,I had a 20ft grp cruiser and of course did not live aboard, but spent up to ten days aboard on longish cruises.

If your boat is grp, the first thing to consider is heating.Even in summer the nights and mornings can be very chilly,and in winter bloody perishing!

A diesel hot air heater is the usual way in a small boat,but if on a marina with hook up a fan heater and/or electric radiators.

Headroom I found totally inadequate in my little boat and I really got fed up mincing around the cabin like a gay hunchback dwarf! 

Knew someone who lived full time in a marina on a 25ft grp boat,but he worked full time and only had his tea and slept aboard.

So if you are determined enough it is not that difficult living on a small boat.

25 minutes ago, Freelife said:

Hi I have bought a 33ft river cruiser to eventually live on.

I have a secure mooring on a marina is it possible? Thank you

Phyically it is possible, but if it is a narrowboat, then living aboard a 33 x 7 foot is not going to be easy. Ours is 36 foot x 14 foot and is very very comfortable as a liveaboard for 2 people.

Legally - it depends on what the conditions of your mooring are.

Is it a legal residential mooring ?

Are you paying Council Tax ?

7 minutes ago, Tony Brooks said:

the answer is "that depends".

If the mooring is a proper residential mooring then yes.

If it is a leisure mooring then the true answer is no but many marinas do a Nelson but impose restrictions like not using the marina address for mail. On this type of mooring you can be told to leave with no reason being given. There also may be a price to pay for the blind eye.

If it is a leisure mooring then the true answer is no but many marinas do a Nelson but impose restrictions like not using the marina address for mail. On this type of mooring you can be told to leave with no reason being given. So the  answer is maybe.

Yet other marinas will just say no.

Well there are live aboards on the marina but it all seems a bit not said if you get my meaning..

yes it’s a leisure marina I’m new to all of this.

1 minute ago, Freelife said:

Well there are live aboards on the marina but it all seems a bit not said if you get my meaning..

Well don't ask  questions when you may not like the answers. Keep your head down and don't annoy other moorers or the marina staff and you may well be OK. On the other hand some marinas do have some proper residential moorings that they let at an enhanced rate.

6 minutes ago, Freelife said:

In which case 'keep your head down' (no wild parties, no piling junk up on the pontoon etc etc).

Sort out a "Plan B" for the time you are evicted. In a marina I was in a boat was given 15 minutes notice that they were evicted so had to find somewhere to go.

With a mooring you have no security of tenure.

Edit - crossed with Tony but we are saying pretty much the same thing.

Edited by Alan de Enfield

10 minutes ago, Freelife said:

Yes thank you very much I’m starting a new life soon so hopefully just some wine and books cooking and enjoy life on the river!!

my marina fees are all paid for the year

Oh dear. Unless you already know or make speedy steps to earn about batteries, charging and monitoring then it sounds as if you may be in for a problematical and possibly expensive time.

Ahh no I have done my homework.

I guess it sounds like I think I going to live a dream life..

I’m sure it’s going to be hard and obviously I don’t know to much about batteries ect  

I do hope that it works out and you all seem a mind of information 

If you are simply going to keep the boat tied up in the marina as a 'floating flat' and have mains electric then it is not too difficult - you just have to learn that electricity is 'limited' and you cannot have the Immersion heater, the electric toaster and the kettle all 'on' at the same time.

If you intend to cruise and use the boat as a boat, then it is imperative that you read and learn about batteries, or, you will kill your batteries within a week (or less) and £100's to replace them.

Read, understand and inwardly digest this thread and it will give you a basic start to understanding battery management.

Click on the box below .......................

Edited by Alan de Enfield

1 minute ago, Freelife said:

I know as a novice we can be tiresome 

Not at all, that is what many of us are here for. Remember there is no such thing as a stupid question if you don't know the answer. I would rather you asked than just plow on. However some on here will make jokes at your expense.

More free resources for you to study http://www.tb-training.co.uk

It was written with the non-technical in mind and you can always email me direct or ask on here about things you don't understand.

• Greenie 1

18 minutes ago, Freelife said:

Lots of folk on here willing to give advice to newbies, even though your questions have probably been asked many times before.

The people who gain most from the forum are those who engage with the rest of us in a friendly and cooperative manner. If we respond to your question with another question it is because we need more information to advise you or to diagnose your problem. And if you can't describe your problem very well in words, perhaps because you don't have the technical knowledge, send us a few photos of your engine or electrical system or whatever.

The people who gain least from the forum are those who already have answers to their questions and aren't willing to hear anything to the contrary, or who perhaps get aggressive or over defensive when asked a follow up question, or who won't give more information about the boat or its systems, or take every comment that the way something is installed on the boat you have just bought is not how it is normally done, as a personal insult.

Yes there is forum banter which you may not always understand, but join in or ignore it, just don't take offence, and you'll be fine.

• Greenie 4

Lovely thank you I think I have gained quite a bit of confidence In the last few  hours

yes it is sometimes hard to explain also as a woman it’s quite daunting not saying we can’t do everything before someone shouts at me 😊

me personally I have to ask for help 

I see no-one has asked the question, so...........

You have checked that you can get your river crusier to the marina, haven't you?
We have had new members who have bought a crusier wider than 7' and then found they can't get it along a narrow canal to get there.

Thank you so much

yes I plan to stay on my mooring.

I will read up later  and keep for further reference.

kind of you

9 minutes ago, Graham Davis said:

I see no-one has asked the question, so...........

You have checked that you can get your river crusier to the marina, haven't you?
We have had new members who have bought a crusier wider than 7' and then found they can't get it along a narrow canal to get there.

Hi yes she is on her mooring which is lovely thank you for asking.

4 hours ago, Freelife said:

Thank you so much

yes I plan to stay on my mooring.

I will read up later  and keep for further reference.

kind of you

Hi yes she is on her mooring which is lovely thank you for asking.

Is it a steel or GRP (fibreglass) river cruiser? Many GRP boats aren't well insulated and aren't fitted with a solid fuel or drip-fed diesel stove, which many liveaboards will tell you is a prerequisite for living aboard.

It's possible to retrofit insulation and a stove but not necessarily while you're living aboard a 33ft boat.

In answer to your original question, I've lived at 5 different non residential moorings over the past 17 years, both marinas and private garden end moorings. It's perfectly possible as long as you don't get mail sent to the mooring, don't behave like you have any residents rights and don't cause a nuisance to others especially the marina owner.

If you do that you'll actually be providing a service to the marina and the non-liveaboard boat owners by acting as unpaid security deterrent.

Edited by blackrose

The marina where I keep my boat has a limited number of liveaboard boaters. The number is governed by the marinas planning permission.

A few years ago a couple were living aboard while their son occupied their house.

After several months they were asked by the marina owner  to go home . The marina is quiet during the week so people living aboard are easy to identify.

Years ago I knew a couple who sold up their house and lived aboard a narrowboat.  After several years and due to poor health the winters became too much to tolerate and they ended up renting as they did not have the means to buy a house. Houses had risen in price but the boat value had not increased.

i knew a guy did just that......fortunately before the crazy rises in house prices ...........and fortunately he had sold the house to a friend .......so he ended up with his house back by selling the boat that had taken five  years to build,and never used. (due to not being able to afford the sail set.)

1 hour ago, MartynG said:

The marina where I keep my boat has a limited number of liveaboard boaters. The number is governed by the marinas planning permission.

A few years ago a couple were living aboard while their son occupied their house.

After several months they were asked by the marina owner  to go home . The marina is quiet during the week so people living aboard are easy to identify.

Years ago I knew a couple who sold up their house and lived aboard a narrowboat.  After several years and due to poor health the winters became too much to tolerate and they ended up renting as they did not have the means to buy a house. Houses had risen in price but the boat value had not increased.

The risk is lessening now we have some rampant inflation baked in for the next decade of so. Interest rates will be raised to combat the inflation and paradoxically, as base rates rise, asset prices (including houses) fall. 

So now might actually be as good time as any to sell one's house and buy a boat to live on, and reverse the process after a few years. 

Bear in mind the high frictional costs though. These being estate agent, boat broker and legal fees, and in particular Stamp Duty Land Tax if/when buying a house back again.