Solenoid problem...

Janz

Featured Posts

8 minutes ago, Janz said:

Yes..! Success, Mr Brooks!

That worked, however it only worked with a replacement starter motor. So I'm assuming the motor is fried. The only motor I could get has been borrowed but at least I can move. It still does really strange stuff if I try it from the ignition &/or with the isolator wired in though but I can live with I'll test my motor & get back to you tomoz. Thanks for your help..!

FWIW If it now starts on a different starter but does not start on the original then as you talked about smoke from on of the solenoid connections I suspect poor contact within the solenoid. If you have a large enough soldering iron you may solve it by taking the plastic end cover off and cleaning the contact surfaces. It is also possible to turn the contact bar over.

If this is the problem then it may well run perfecly when under no load but smoke again when it has to work.

You can often improve the performance of a starter by simply oiling the bearings.......and as I suggested ,its likely your starter has an internal electrical fault,such as shorted armature windings,or even something simple like a faulty field coil............I think Lucas starters all have crimped armature to commutator connections,so they are not likely to be loose.

16 hours ago, john.k said:

You can often improve the performance of a starter by simply oiling the bearings.......and as I suggested ,its likely your starter has an internal electrical fault,such as shorted armature windings,or even something simple like a faulty field coil............I think Lucas starters all have crimped armature to commutator connections,so they are not likely to be loose.

Yeah, I won't know 'til I get it in front of me. I'm just changing a wheel on my car & if I get time, I'll post up some readings... Thanks BTW...