Is The River Am Navigable

Tim Lewis

Featured Posts

31 minutes ago, frangar said:

I thought there was a bortsetshire canal on the archers map?? 

edited to correct. 

it’s the felpersham canal!  

And their canal trust has posted a lot of photos on canalplan - unfortunately none of their own canal.

image.png.36db12db0f28ed851db843d6e5e25e64.png

He needs to be careful.  The Am is subject to serious flooding.

What has happened to the £5m of Heritage Lottery money that was given to improve the Felpersham canal?  

Edited by koukouvagia
  • Greenie 1

1 hour ago, frangar said:

Well he’s going to be in trouble if he tries to CC on that! 

In deed. Not only is it relatively short but there is a dearth of mooring spots. Most of the lower section is considered an environmentally sensitive area and the bank is unapproachable in most places. There is usually room in the basin on the southern edge of town centre and also above lock 2.  Paul Balmer (Waterway Routes) does show three wild mooring spots but they are not ideal, in our experience! Otherwise best to find somewhere on the Worcester and Brum.

The Severn is deffo not a CC destination! (Or for anyone overnight, for that matter!) Below Stourport has pontoons but not for a lengthy stay.

That said, it is a a great  route but please keep that to yourselves.

25 minutes ago, Mike Todd said:

In deed. Not only is it relatively short but there is a dearth of mooring spots. Most of the lower section is considered an environmentally sensitive area and the bank is unapproachable in most places. There is usually room in the basin on the southern edge of town centre and also above lock 2.  Paul Balmer (Waterway Routes) does show three wild mooring spots but they are not ideal, in our experience! Otherwise best to find somewhere on the Worcester and Brum.

The Severn is deffo not a CC destination! (Or for anyone overnight, for that matter!) Below Stourport has pontoons but not for a lengthy stay.

That said, it is a a great  route but please keep that to yourselves.

You are aware we are discussing the Felpersham canal and the River Am aren’t you?  They are very little used cruising routes I believe…any similarities between them and other navigations is purely coincidental….

Does anyone know if they are CRT or have their own navigation authority? 

• Greenie 2
  • Happy 1

And I'm still wondering where the leccy came from to illuminate Rex's party. I fear all the practicalities surrounding living on a narrowboat will be ignored much to the annoyance of regular boaters. This strikes me as a step too far for the normally realistic Archers .......... but that may simply be that I live on a boat and make my living from the inland waterways. Must try hard not to let it annoy me and therefore spoil my enjoyment of this long-running, rural saga

29 minutes ago, koukouvagia said:

Rex will on here soon asking for advice.  Did he get a survey?

That made me laugh, it would be genius of the program if they did pop up and ask some "real" boating questions.

If they did maybe we could persuade them to make Kate less annoying...

1 hour ago, wandering snail said:

So hard to suspend disbelief with this storyline. The Am has a ford that's so deep you can walk across it, unnavigable in a rowing boat let alone Rex's new abode.

Obviously the river was in flood when he brought the boat to Ambridge. I only listen to the omnibus on Sunday so please don't spoil the plot for me

3 hours ago, frangar said:

You are aware we are discussing the Felpersham canal and the River Am aren’t you?  They are very little used cruising routes I believe…any similarities between them and other navigations is purely coincidental….

Does anyone know if they are CRT or have their own navigation authority? 

Of course but two previous posts had claimed that it was based on the Droitwich. 

This would not be surprising as it is understood that Ambridge is modelled on the nearby Hanbury. Godfrey Baseley, the creator, lived at Bromsgrove.

I am sure that, following the very successful restoration of the Droitwich (much better than some other well known restorations that bequeathed decades of problems) a campaign for the Felpersham canal would be very well supported.

6 minutes ago, buccaneer66 said:

They seem to have forgotten it on the map for Borsetshire.

image.png.cdfc3e3b707713163e02a6858482e5ed.png

What omitted? I can see the Felpersham Canal . . . (lower right)

23 minutes ago, Mike Todd said:

Of course but two previous posts had claimed that it was based on the Droitwich. 

This would not be surprising as it is understood that Ambridge is modelled on the nearby Hanbury. Godfrey Baseley, the creator, lived at Bromsgrove.

I am sure that, following the very successful restoration of the Droitwich (much better than some other well known restorations that bequeathed decades of problems) a campaign for the Felpersham canal would be very well supported.

What omitted? I can see the Felpersham Canal . . . (lower right)

I couldn't see that on my phone screen, got it on a big screen now.