Isuzu Engine Wanted.

vindyboy

Featured Posts

I had stuck rings on a Vetus engine. Not because it hadn't been run. I remains a mystery why it happened. Anyway: I prepped the engine for removal then recommissioned it when the work had been done and it was dropped back in. New rings and head gasket, rocker gasket etc.. The yard charged £45 an hour. The bill came to just under £900 including parts. Vetus parts are very expensive. One set of rings was over 90 quid. 

47 minutes ago, MtB said:

I wonder what the cost would be to deliver a recon engine from Australia to the UK, and the scrap unit the other way...

I don't know - but goods arrive here in vast quantities from the other side of the world for sale in pound shops and the like, so I would guess that there are economical ways of freighting goods around the world.

4 minutes ago, Athy said:

I don't know - but goods arrive here in vast quantities from the other side of the world for sale in pound shops and the like, so I would guess that there are economical ways of freighting goods around the world.

In the last year the cost of shipping a container has risen by over 5x on the most common route into Europe (Shanghai to Rotterdam) Hence the huge price rises and supply issueswe are seeing in all sectors from food to cars.

Shipping costs are continuing to rise despite some carriers suspending rate increases and investigations by competition regulators, with the price for ocean freight on popular routes up by more than 500% in the last year.

The average price for a 40-foot container stands at US$10,374.64 as of September 16, an increase of 2.9% on the previous week and 323% higher than a year ago, according to the Drewry World Container Index, which tracks the cost of containers. It marks the 22nd consecutive week of increases.

Ocean freight rates have been soaring this year as demand for goods picked back up after the pandemic triggered a sharp slump across sectors. Disruption from lockdowns and a shortage of workers and containers have only exacerbated matters.

On sought-after routes, such as from Shanghai to Rotterdam, freight prices have increased by an eye-watering 570% in the last 12 months. Shipping a container from the Chinese city to Genoa is up by 509% for the same period.

County Armagh furniture salesman Pearse Dynes said the rise in costs represented a “worldwide crisis” adding: “Pre-Covid, shipping costs for a 20ft container from Asia were $1,200, [£870] plus local charges of roughly $300 [£217], and that made it profitable.”

“This is not the case anymore, as costs have risen at phenomenal rates of up to $10,800 [£7,820] for a 20ft container,” he added.

He said there has been a 600% increase in the cost of moving a 40ft container.

• Greenie 1

42 minutes ago, Athy said:

A box of £1 lighters is in a different league from an engine on a pallet taking up perhaps 0.5 cubic metres of container space and weighing half a tonne, I'd suggest. If I were booking a freight container from Oz to here and paying £10k for it, I might want to rent the space inside my container for an engine for perhaps £1,000 at a total guess. And then the OP has the problem of shipping the old one back again. 

Shipping goods in vast quantities is a very different kettle of fish from shipping single, heavy items. 

I just had a look on the DHL site, but I could not persuade it to give me a quote. 

• Greenie 1

17 minutes ago, MtB said:

A box of £1 lighters is in a different league from an engine on a pallet taking up perhaps 0.5 cubic metres of container space and weighing half a tonne, I'd suggest. If I were booking a freight container from Oz to here and paying £10k for it, I might want to rent the space inside my container for an engine for perhaps £1,000 at a total guess. And then the OP has the problem of shipping the old one back again. 

Shipping goods in vast quantities is a very different kettle of fish from shipping single, heavy items. 

I just had a look on the DHL site, but I could not persuade it to give me a quote. 

The figures quoted by Alan are startling - I wonder how shipping companies can justify such rampant profiteering.

Yet "single heavy items" such as cars from Japan and China, and lamb carcasses from New Zealand, continue to arrive in the U.K., so suxh freighting must be viable for the customer.

11 minutes ago, Athy said:

The figures quoted by Alan are startling - I wonder how shipping companies can justify such rampant profiteering.

I never understand where this attitude comes from. Shipping (or any other type) companies do not need to 'justify' their charges, they can charge whatever they like. This is the foundation of the western world's free market economy.

If they are 'overcharging' the correcting mechanism is other people or companies (or you, even!) are free to undercut them and still make a handsome profit. 

As this is not happening, there is therefore an underlying reason not obvious to you.  

• Greenie 2

15 minutes ago, MtB said:

Is it to you? If so, I'd like to know what this reason is.

As this is not happening, there is therefore an underlying reason not obvious to you.  

Is it to you? If so, I'd like to know what it is.

I quite understand that costs such as wages and fuel rise gradually over time - but surely not by 500% in a year?

I gather shipping containers as such are also in very short supply,and attract a premium price..... this is containers in survey,not your  garden shed variety...........a shipping container has to be able to be stacked 9 high fully loaded.,and also withstand a ship rolling in heavy weather .

27 minutes ago, Athy said:

I quite understand that costs such as wages and fuel rise gradually over time - but surely not by 500% in a year?

First class opportunity for you to make a killing then eh?

Get Mel Davis to make you a shipping container and fill ya boots! 

• Haha 1

25 minutes ago, john.k said:

I gather shipping containers as such are also in very short supply,and attract a premium price..... this is containers in survey,not your  garden shed variety...........a shipping container has to be able to be stacked 9 high fully loaded.,and also withstand a ship rolling in heavy weather .

I was reading an article that said during / since C19 10,000,000 of them are 'in the wrong places' around the globe and they  are struggling to get them back as it is only viable to use them as a 'return load'.

This is why the price of NEW containers has reached over $10,000 each.

I have a couple of 'old' (out of survey) 20 footers - they make great lock-ups.

Just now, Alan de Enfield said:

I was reading an article that said during / since C19 10,000,000 of them are 'in the wrong places' around the globe and they  are struggling to get them back as it is only viable to use them as a 'return load'.

This does seem vaguely odd. You'd think it would still be worth shipping the empty containers to where they are needed rather than paying rent on the space they are blocking up. 

But then maybe even at £10k each, it is still perhaps cheaper to build new ones in the right places than ship empty ones around. 

15 hours ago, vindyboy said:

Nothing coming out of the exhaust.

Engine has had fresh diesel from a seperate source, injectors bled off, still will not even cough not even with easy start.. Compression tests were carried out by 2 seperate mechanics and both tests show 100 psi.

Looking now to purchase a rebuild kit and strip and rebuild this engine.

Have you taken the rocker cover off to see if any of the valves are stuck open or not closing fully ?  An engine that has been left unrun for a long period may have rusty valve seats where the valves have been open.

Edited by Flyboy
  • Greenie 1

16 hours ago, vindyboy said:

Nothing coming out of the exhaust.

Engine has had fresh diesel from a seperate source, injectors bled off,

Getting back on topic, these two statements seem incompatible. If the injectors are spraying, then how I wonder, can nothing be coming out of the exhaust.

Not questioning what you say, more trying to get my mind around how this can happen, me not having more than a rudimentary grasp of how diesels work. 

Now and again on the fleet we had engines that would not start in spring and that cause was carbon falling off the valves and jamming them slightly open. My solution that I can't really recommend to the OP was to disconnect the alternator and then put 24 volts on the starter. They soon started and blew a load of carbon bits out of the exhaust. Add the blow torch to the inlet to help even more.

3 minutes ago, MtB said:

Getting back on topic, these two statements seem incompatible. If the injectors are spraying, then how I wonder, can nothing be coming out of the exhaust.

Not questioning what you say, more trying to get my mind around how this can happen, me not having more than a rudimentary grasp of how diesels work. 

I suppose it depends upon if 100psi is enough to create the heat to vaporize some of the fuel, otherwise, being a dry exhaust, I think the fuel may be pooling in the exhaust and silencer and is not yet enough to be blown out.

4 minutes ago, Tony Brooks said:

They soon started and blew a load of carbon bits out of the exhaust. Add the blow torch to the inlet to help even more.

My Gleniffer does that on every start, lol...

5 minutes ago, Tony Brooks said:

I suppose it depends upon if 100psi is enough to create the heat to vaporize some of the fuel, otherwise, being a dry exhaust, I think the fuel may be pooling in the exhaust and silencer and is not yet enough to be blown out.

I was imagining that atomised fuel would still make a mist which should come from the exhaust, regardless of whether it was vaporised by the heat of compression, or not. 

I agree with you. All i can say is what i am being told. Motor has been checked by 2 different mechanics plus my brother. The marina mechanics have tried and tried to get it to start. They checked the with the rocker cover off and valves all seem to be moving. Compression test was carried out of all 3 cylinders and read 100 psi each. Tank feed has been disconnected and fresh fuel source. Still does not even attept to start. There appears to be cylinder blow back so both different mechanics are putting money on the rings, of course noy saying the valves are seating 100% It will not even cough of Easy Start. This engine may have not been started for years. The old gentleman who owned it befor lived on the boat for at least 7 years and never took her out of the marina. The last mechanic who looked last Saturday said with his checks can see no reason why it will not start so is pointing to something internal. We have located an engine build kit and have decided to strip and build the engine.

14 minutes ago, vindyboy said:

We have located an engine build kit and have decided to strip and build the engine.

I am worried that unless you work out why it won't start, this could turn out to be a complete waste of time and effort. Worn rings at the current state of play, appears to be a total guess. At least take the head off and assess the state of the valve seats first. 

1 hour ago, Athy said:

Is it to you? If so, I'd like to know what it is.

Because services like container shipping are not charged on a cost plus basis. It's more like an auction. There is currently more demand for shipping than the available capacity in the industry. So the shippers can, in effect, auction off their capacity to the highest bidder. And whoever is prepared to pay the most gets their goods shipped, and others don't. In the longer term this will sort itself out, as shippers increase their capacity to meet the demand, but they will want to know that the demand is there long term before committing resources to it. On the other hand, short term issues, like containers in the wrong place, or a backlog of post-pandemic deliveries, will probably get sorted in a shorter time frame, without needing additional baseline capacity.

• Greenie 1

47 minutes ago, MtB said:

I am worried that unless you work out why it won't start, this could turn out to be a complete waste of time and effort. Worn rings at the current state of play, appears to be a total guess. At least take the head off and assess the state of the valve seats first. 

Engine is coming out and head off next. 

2 hours ago, MtB said:

Get Mel Davis to make you a shipping container and fill ya boots! 

Mr. Davis' creations bear little or no resemblance to shipping containers.

.....although there was that "eco-boat" thing which he built for a Very Unusual Customer a few years ago. I have never seen it on the cut, it's probably not allowed out.

I have started engines that have been left for 30 years, also some that have been underwater for months. The only one that ever beat me was a Rover 2000 bought at auction which just would not start no matter what we did, 24v, neat petrol down the carb, ether, blow lamp, tow it around. Checked plugs points etc.

I gave up, left it parked in the yard.

One day an apprentice wanted to move it to shift a wreck it was obstructing. Got the key from the office, opened the door, fired it up and parked it on the forecourt which was where I saw it.

Asked what he did to get it running, he said it just started.  There you go!  We sold it shortly after, it never came back.

49 minutes ago, Tracy D'arth said:

I have started engines that have been left for 30 years, also some that have been underwater for months.

I particularly approve of DMR's maxim "Never EVER dismantle an engine until you've worked out why it won't go"

The evidence is always there to be seen if you look hard enough, and once you have converted it to a pile a bits on the floor it is an order of magnitude harder to figure out what the fault was.

• Greenie 1