DVCC

Callum4878

Featured Posts

8 minutes ago, DesB said:

Was that before or after the link was posted here?

About the same time.  I too was looking for contact details to help the original poster, but when I refreshed this thread the pdf was linked so I didn't repost it.

I do note that the handbook in question is the 2020 version so has presumably been available on that link for more than two years - the link itself didn't turn up in google results because of @alias's recent posting but it is quite likely that the spammers picked it up via this site.

• Greenie 1

1 hour ago, DesB said:

The club in question has now removed the handbook file from their website and has further password-protected their upload directory. Alias says that they are not a member of an AWCC club; I would be most interested to learn where they got the link to the file from so that we can ensure such leaks do not occur in the future - you can PM me, unfortunately I cannot PM you as my number of postings on this forum is insufficient to allow me to do so.

Apologies that I seem to have unintentionally caused your club some inconvenience. This was inadvertent because since the link showed up in a Google search I had not realised it was confidential. The link was live for me on the date I posted it. There's another detail that might be useful to you that I will PM you now.

• Greenie 1

34 minutes ago, alias said:

Apologies that I seem to have unintentionally caused your club some inconvenience. This was inadvertent because since the link showed up in a Google search I had not realised it was confidential. The link was live for me on the date I posted it. There's another detail that might be useful to you that I will PM you now.

Thanks for the response and additional info in your PM. When I Googled the full link to the file, only 2 results were returned - a link to the file itself and a link to this thread. Clearly my arithmetic skills are a little rusty, as 2+2 does not make 5! I guess we will never know where the initial leak came from. It is also a timely warning that basic WordPress security leaves a lot to be desired.

Incidentally, it is not my club - I am a member of a different AWCC club but run the AWCC website.