DVCC

Callum4878

Featured Posts

16 hours ago, George and Dragon said:

Nor yet Apperley Bridge which I know to a) exist and b) be on the L&L.

AS we discovered a few years back to our cost when a call out engineer went to the wrong one, despite us  citing the bridge number and location!

On 26/02/2022 at 19:18, George and Dragon said:

Nor yet Apperley Bridge which I know to a) exist and b) be on the L&L.

AM-JKLU2I_uKEiMNwH7QOC2eXp4yNOEfdv6DTwIC

upturned crane above Apperley Bridge locks  (See 17Feb2013  (for tale of crane's demise)  27Feb2013  3May2013 (cranerescue) 24Mar2014 (afterwards))

spacer.png

Appley Locks L&L.  The offside (later) two-locks parallel the single lock on the main line (and are now derelict) ... See 20Apr2007/5Sep1985

• 3 weeks later...
11 minutes ago, Athy said:

We've had a report suggesting that this link may not be correct. Could you check it, please?

It needs a login user name and password.

7 hours ago, Athy said:

We've had a report suggesting that this link may not be correct. Could you check it, please?

It was visible to non-members of AWCC (like me) three weeks ago, but not now. Perhaps if someone is still after the information requested by the OP an AWCC member who also posts here may be able to help. 

4 hours ago, alias said:

It was visible to non-members of AWCC (like me) three weeks ago, but not now. Perhaps if someone is still after the information requested by the OP an AWCC member who also posts here may be able to help. 

You don't become a member of the AWCC you have to me a member of an AWCC affiliated club

6 minutes ago, ditchcrawler said:

You don't become a member of the AWCC you have to me a member of an AWCC affiliated club

Thanks for the clarification. In that case a member of an affiliated club might be able to provide the DVCC contact details, if that is what whoever contacted Athy was after. 

9 minutes ago, alias said:

Thanks for the clarification. In that case a member of an affiliated club might be able to provide the DVCC contact details, if that is what whoever contacted Athy was after. 

Or he could join a club and have access himself and help support the organisation

On 26/02/2022 at 07:50, Callum4878 said:

Morning,

anyone have contact details for the Douglas Valley Cruising Club at Appleby Bridge on the L&L please.

Thanks,

Keith

I have emailed the secretary of the DVCC club and asked if I can pass his email address on to you.

• Greenie 1

Just to give some background on this...
The AWCC Handbook is available in the members area of the AWCC website, open to current members of AWCC affiliated clubs. At the top of the page from which it is generated, the following statement is prominently displayed:- "The AWCC handbook (in either paper or electronic format) must only be issued to current members of an AWCC club. Under no circumstances should it be made available on any other club website unless access to it is restricted to current members of that club in a secure area of the site."

The club in question had published a copy in the members area of their website which was password-protected using the standard WordPress facilities. Unfortunately, these facilities only protect the pages on which the uploaded file link is available, not the uploaded file itself. This is fine providing the link to the file is not made available to those outside the club. Once the link was posted on this forum the web crawlers were able to access the handbook pdf file and index all the entries in it. Within 48 hours of the link appearing on this site, the AWCC Treasurer had received a scam email purporting to come from the AWCC Chairman, based on names and email addresses that were current at the time that version of the handbook was produced but which have subsequently changed. Furthermore, details of officers of all AWCC clubs have been made available outside the limit of AWCC club members which is contrary to the basis on which they agreed to have their details included in the handbook and is therefore in contravention of the current data protection legislation. This is not acceptable.

The club in question has now removed the handbook file from their website and has further password-protected their upload directory. Alias says that they are not a member of an AWCC club; I would be most interested to learn where they got the link to the file from so that we can ensure such leaks do not occur in the future - you can PM me, unfortunately I cannot PM you as my number of postings on this forum is insufficient to allow me to do so.
For future reference, details of all AWCC clubs are available on the public side of the AWCC website at https://awcc.org.uk/clubs_find1.php. Clubs are encouraged to publish skeleton details there for the benefit of potential members which would normally include a general club email address, contact details for the membership secretary, club website address (if one exists), the correspondence address for the club plus a profile of the club. Unfortunately, DVCC have chosen to only publish the correspondence address, but that is their choice.

Des Barnard
AWCC Webmaster

13 minutes ago, DesB said:

Alias says that they are not a member of an AWCC club; I would be most interested to learn where they got the link to the file from so that we can ensure such leaks do not occur in the future

I found the same PDF as @alias posted was the first Google search result for Douglas Valley Cruising Club

https://www.google.com/search?q=Douglas+Valley+Cruising+Club