Starter motor wiring.

Canal321

Featured Posts

Hi all,

I have an old starter motor and I'm struggling with the wiring. It's a cav CA45f12-35m , where do I connect wires to get it going ?. I have read some of sirnibbles previous posts but I can't find any wiring pics. 

Thanks 

I've circled the terminals. 

sketch-1645820474157.jpg.ebc59ec346b9333ec556a18ad4055b8a.jpg

Edited by Canal321

This is an outright informed guess so perhaps you should wait for  SirN or one of the Vintage engine chaps to come on.

large terminal on the end - battery negative

The other large terminal - battery positive

The two smaller terminals are for the "solenoid" coil so one negative and one positive from the ignition switch start position.

• Greenie 1

1 hour ago, Tony Brooks said:

This is an outright informed guess so perhaps you should wait for  SirN or one of the Vintage engine chaps to come on.

The two smaller terminals are for the "solenoid" coil so one negative and one positive from the ignition switch start position.

I would concur, its an insulated return starter so it needs 2 terminals for the solenoid. To prove it, examine the large terminal on the end, is it isolated from the body?

An Ohms check on the 2 small terminals should show a low resistance of a few Ohm, the solenoid winding. Again check that both are islotated from the body.

• Greenie 1

To try it out,you have to put the sole of your boot on the pinion,or it will just creep around.......dont pull the pinion out by hand with the terminals hooked up,it might cause injury......if it wont work ,remove the ally plugs from the yoke ,and you can generally get a long pointed tool made from a hacksaw blade to clean the terminals inside.....once the plugs are out ,its easy to see how it works.....................The CA 45 s were a good starter in their day,but problematic if left unused....,nowdays I chuck them and replace with a high speed geared Taiwanese starter..............PS....before doing anything,pull off the tin cover over the brushes ,and clean out the dust ,and see if the commutator is usable.

Edited by john.k
  • Greenie 2

15 hours ago, Tony Brooks said:

Thanks Tony

Your wiring instructions were spot on. Got it going. Thanks again. 

• Happy 1