‘At the top, it looks scary’: Bingley celebrates Five Rise Locks restoration

David Mack

Featured Posts

Ah yes, all that fencing and scaffolding appeared by magic overnight.

Looks to me like 2 visiting managers stopping 2 guys working....perhaps to find out how it's going, or are there any problems, or do they need any additional kit/supplies, or is it Tea Break time. 

4 hours ago, matty40s said:

Ah yes, all that fencing and scaffolding appeared by magic overnight.

Looks to me like 2 visiting managers stopping 2 guys working....perhaps to find out how it's going, or are there any problems, or do they need any additional kit/supplies, or is it Tea Break time. 

When I used to fit kitchens, we used to dislike the kitchen shop owner turning up on site as was his habit, to find out "how it's going, or are there any problems, or do we need any additional kit/supplies". We were very well organised and his presence just meant no work would get done for an hour or two while he poked around asking strings of damned-fool questions, or stood in the middle of the kitchen discussing stuff with the customer and demanding we stopped interrupting with our noise....

We always find that customers who wish to continue long conversations about the weather, how far they cruised for the last 10 years and how much they spent on the boat can be quickly brought to leave by letting them known that they are paying for our listening time as part of the job.😉

Edited by matty40s
  • Greenie 1
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, MartinC said:

I wonder if they are going to do anything about the Elsan location at the top. I seem to recall having to carry full cassettes past people drinking their coffee in the sunshine.

I doubt it, that would require a major re-config of the buildings.

Bingley Five Rise Locks: New gates fitted on UK's steepest lock flight - BBC News

Bingley Five Rise Locks

Engineers are putting the finishing touches to a major restoration of the UK's steepest lock flight on the Leeds to Liverpool Canal.

Repairs to the Grade I listed Bingley Five Rise Locks have involved replacing one of Britain's tallest set of lock gates at the West Yorkshire landmark.

It is part of a £55m programme of works by the Canal & River Trust on waterways across England and Wales.

The trust said the Bingley lock was one of the "wonders of the waterways".

A lock staircase is where the locks open directly from one to another, with the top gate of one forming the bottom gate of the next.