Gearbox action...

Janz

Featured Posts

Been cleaning out my engine bay & trying to ignore my gearbox but it wants its ATF changed. I'm assuming it's like a normal 'box procedure wise - drain, fill 'til the ATF runs out of the bolt hole on the side but I thought I'd best check with you guys first...

Hold on & I'll shrink a pic & post it up here.

Sorry it's upside down...

20220224_131326.jpg

Drained mine with a Pela pump. Remember to screw the bolt down when checking the dipstick under it rather than just letting it rest on top. From memory it's hard to see the atf fluid on the dipstick, a shining light might help help. 

Edited by Ianws

42 minutes ago, Ianws said:

Drained mine with a Pela pump. Remember to screw the bolt down when checking the dipstick under it rather than just letting it rest on top. From memory it's hard to see the atf fluid on the dipstick, a shining light might help help. 

I used to touch the dipstick on some paper towel.

13 hours ago, StephenA said:

And a matching nut on the bottom which, if you can get a wide shallow container under, you can use to drain the oil - just don't do it when it's hot!

Thanks, sound advice. I can probably just about get a frying pan underneath now that I've cleaned out the forty year old thick bilge scum from under the engine.

I have no idea what constitutes that gunk apart from oil, grease & water but it has really preserved that part of the hull. Bizarre. I s'pose it could be that the water floats on the oil or that it has been starved of oxygen or maybe new steel has been welded in?

9 hours ago, Ianws said:

Ah, good... I didn't know that. My Honda motorbike engines are the opposite 👍

15 minutes ago, Janz said:

Ah, good... I didn't know that. My Honda motorbike engines are the opposite 👍

Often on gearboxes you will find the length of the thread is very similar to the gap between full and the bottom of the dipstick. When that is the case you don't need to screw it back in. Just take the bottom of the dipstick as full. probably more applicable when checking the level rather than topping up.

43 minutes ago, Tony Brooks said:

Often on gearboxes you will find the length of the thread is very similar to the gap between full and the bottom of the dipstick. When that is the case you don't need to screw it back in. Just take the bottom of the dipstick as full. probably more applicable when checking the level rather than topping up.

Thanks Tony...👍