Boats, beer and number plates

dave moore

Featured Posts

Ahhhhh......

The good old days.

NOT!

I wouldn't call Bathams bitter bland but its not a hop monster like a lot of current beers.

Don't get me wrong, I like hoppy beers, Okham's Citra is my bottled beer of choice at the moment.

What I love about Bathams is the way the taste changes. It starts off as sweet but the more I taste it the more bitter it becomes.

Design or happy accident? I dunno.

And.....

Holden's 'Golden Glow' strikes me as having a very similar taste to Bathams Bitter. Is it brewed to the same recipe, I wonder?

2 hours ago, Tim Lewis said:

TBH I find their beers a bit bland now compared with what is available elsewhere ☹️

Maybe the Bathams at the Bull and Bladder is better than elsewhere...

There are other beers packed full of things like mega quantities of hops and I like some of them, but Batham's is close to my idea of the ideal session beer... 😉

19 hours ago, JamesWoolcock said:

When I was at college in London in the late 60s, the saying was "Don't take the piss out of Watneys, It needs all the flavour it can get."

"Why is Watneys Red Barrel like making love in a punt"  Because its ******* close to water

• Greenie 1

I never was a big drinker, I'd only ever drink a couple of pints, but I've completely gone off beer these days. It just seems to bloat me out. I ordered a pint in a pub with a meal last week and couldn't even finish it. Just gone off the whole idea of drinking large amounts of low alcohol liquid. I'd rather have a G&T. The only problem with that is a double G&T is so expensive in a pub.

21 hours ago, JamesWoolcock said:

When I was at college in London in the late 60s, the saying was "Don't take the piss out of Watneys, It needs all the flavour it can get."

Then they changed the brew and re-branded it as "Watney's Red" which, from memory was even worse.

Along came the Reaql Ale boom of the mid-1970s and Watney's introduced a beer (Stag, possibly) which appeared to be dispensed by a traditional hand-pump - except that, when a glass of it was poured, it became obvious that this was just a tap masquerading as a hand-pull.

7 hours ago, blackrose said:

I never was a big drinker, I'd only ever drink a couple of pints, but I've completely gone off beer these days. It just seems to bloat me out. I ordered a pint in a pub with a meal last week and couldn't even finish it. Just gone off the whole idea of drinking large amounts of low alcohol liquid. I'd rather have a G&T. The only problem with that is a double G&T is so expensive in a pub.

Belgian beer is rather nice, often (even though in a bottle) "real ale" i.e. unpasteurised and around 8%

About the only thing I liked about Red Barrel was the Red Barrel key rings they used to give out.  Although it was better than the Brains bitter I experienced in Cardiff in the 1960's.  Legend had it that someone had sent two samples of the stuff to the public analyst, who reported that neither horse was fit for work!

• Greenie 1

2 hours ago, Goliath said:

This has been my favourite pint for a long time now. 
And a real treat when I can get it. 
Sea fury, AKA ‘Spesh’. 

C8356E30-CB8D-46EC-BF07-CDB5618AC344.jpeg.388d64a44c10913c149676b5e321f84d.jpeg

dunno why picture  is on side 

Unfortunately Sharps beer went downhill after Molson Coors bought them out about ten years ago and pushed Doom bar out to every pub in the country. It used to be a great pint many years ago, now it's just average.

Sea Fury is one of their smaller volume brews and hence a lot better, until MC deems it to be selling well and decide to start mass producing it I guess.

If you can ever find it outside Devon, try a pint of draught Jail Ale from Dartmoor brewery. Properly local brewed nectar. Or a pint of their Legend for a lighter session brew.

Thing is when I go up to the boat in the Midlands then I want to drink local beer brewed there, not something that followed me up the M5, so I avoid anything that i recognise from down here.

18 hours ago, gatekrash said:

Unfortunately Sharps beer went downhill after Molson Coors bought them out about ten years ago and pushed Doom bar out to every pub in the country. It used to be a great pint many years ago, now it's just average.

Sea Fury is one of their smaller volume brews and hence a lot better, until MC deems it to be selling well and decide to start mass producing it I guess.

If you can ever find it outside Devon, try a pint of draught Jail Ale from Dartmoor brewery. Properly local brewed nectar. Or a pint of their Legend for a lighter session brew.

Thing is when I go up to the boat in the Midlands then I want to drink local beer brewed there, not something that followed me up the M5, so I avoid anything that i recognise from down here.

Never took to the Doombar so can’t comment, always drank the Spesh and it’s still a great pint. 
Yes, Jail Ale I’m sure I’ve enjoyed a few pints of that, a few years back mind. 

I agree to drinking local beer if it’s good. 
Therefore any excuse to drive down the M5 back to Cornwall for a pint in the Oddfellows.