Cable

Featured Posts

9 minutes ago, dave mackie said:

If I use 95mm cables to connect my domestic batteries together ,

what size cable should I use from domestic batteries to fuse panel.

What max load are you planning to have ?
The cable will need to be able to carry that load.

What distance is it ?
You need to caclulate volt drop at maximum load.

Another consideration is what physical size of cable will fit the fuse panel’s connectors. As has been said it depends on distance and load, but for most boats the heavy current devices  (inverters and alternators) don’t route through the fuse panel, so the maximum current will likely be less than 50A.

20 hours ago, dave mackie said:

If I use 95mm cables to connect my domestic batteries together ,

what size cable should I use from domestic batteries to fuse panel.

Sorry to be a pedant, but if you're talking about cable cross section area you mean 95mm2 cables.

Edited by blackrose

1 minute ago, blackrose said:

Sorry to be a pedant, but if you're talking about cable cross section area you mean 95mm2 cables.

and that should be followed by conductor cross sectional area or CCSA to ensure no one thinks it includes the insulation as they have done here in the past.

• Haha 1

4 minutes ago, MtB said:

Its pretty unlikely anyone would think we are discussing cables 95mm in diameter, even including the insulation. 95mm is 3 3/4 inches, and such cable would be hundreds of £ per foot, if not per inch! 

In this case agreed, but there are many more smaller cables sizes used in boats like the very common 2 or 3 sq mm CCSA.

7 hours ago, MtB said:

Its pretty unlikely anyone would think we are discussing cables 95mm in diameter, even including the insulation. 95mm is 3 3/4 inches, and such cable would be hundreds of £ per foot, if not per inch! 

But someone may have thought were were discussing a 95mm cable length.

On 25/02/2022 at 08:46, nicknorman said:

Another consideration is what physical size of cable will fit the fuse panel’s connectors. As has been said it depends on distance and load, but for most boats the heavy current devices  (inverters and alternators) don’t route through the fuse panel, so the maximum current will likely be less than 50A.

Reducing lugs are handy for fitting large cables in to smaller terminations.

Screenshot_20211008-190932.png