Eshton Road Lock, Gargrave

Pluto

Featured Posts

Couldn't be any worse than under this inept regime.
Interesting a few years back when C&RT made a bid to take over the their navigations the EA resisted. 

Perhaps we should settle for just a change of leadership. Someone who understands the main function of the C&RT i.e. being a Navigation Authority. Try planning a cruise up here in Yorkshire and you will understand why we would have more confidence in the village primary school than in Parry & Co. 

Edited by Midnight

6 hours ago, Midnight said:

Don't make excuses for them they are a total shambles.

Our village primary school could do better but the Environment Agency is the natural replacement. Not good at facilities and probably wouldn't spend £thousands on blue signs. Better at keeping the system open and probably got access to more resources. 

I take it you havent seen the EA signs down the Nene, I thought that's where CRT got the idea from

6 hours ago, Midnight said:

Someone who understands the main function of the C&RT i.e. being a Navigation Authority.  

Its not their main function any more

5 hours ago, ditchcrawler said:

I take it you havent seen the EA signs down the Nene, I thought that's where CRT got the idea from

We did the Nene and Great Ouse last year and there was a stoppage which lasted a week I believe. We got through just before the guillotine gate motor failed but there was a nice notice which said something like "Sorry the motor has failed but we have replaced it with a smaller one to enable the lock to remain open" 

5 hours ago, ditchcrawler said:

Its not their main function any more

Tell me about it!

On 27/04/2022 at 12:11, Midnight said:

Couldn't be any worse than under this inept regime.
Interesting a few years back when C&RT made a bid to take over the their navigations the EA resisted. 

Perhaps we should settle for just a change of leadership. Someone who understands the main function of the C&RT i.e. being a Navigation Authority. Try planning a cruise up here in Yorkshire and you will understand why we would have more confidence in the village primary school than in Parry & Co. 

When we were at a meeting with Parry and others a few years back, he didn’t seem very pleased to be reminded that my wife used to be his assistant at TFL. We decided she knew too much about him so he kept his distance.

22 hours ago, Midnight said:

We did the Nene and Great Ouse last year and there was a stoppage which lasted a week I believe. We got through just before the guillotine gate motor failed but there was a nice notice which said something like "Sorry the motor has failed but we have replaced it with a smaller one to enable the lock to remain open" 

SmallDSCF3446.jpg

SmallDSCF7435.jpg

On 27/04/2022 at 10:23, Midnight said:

Don't make excuses for them they are a total shambles.

Our village primary school could do better but the Environment Agency is the natural replacement. Not good at facilities and probably wouldn't spend £thousands on blue signs. Better at keeping the system open and probably got access to more resources. 

Do you think so- Eaton Socon lock has been shut since 1st Jan and not due for reopening until Mid May (estimate) -and thats only to replace a set of gates which ,according to the bloke who actually removed them ,reckoned werent that bad. 

EA are very H&S aware and if they took over the system would probably shut most of it for being too dangerous until they'd had a chance to fit guards and fences around everything.

1 hour ago, Midnight said:

I guess there will be boats travelling to Gargrave now for the reopening. Do you know what the mooring situation is?

Nope, I'm hanging back till things are finally sorted

• 2 weeks later...
9 hours ago, harleyj said:

The closure is not on CRT's stoppages any more so we assume it is open.

Nope, it is still closed.  The notice is still there on the stoppage pages.  They have promised to update tomorrow ( Friday 20th) at the end of the day and have also said lock operation will begin between 20th to 25th latest but no indication of precisely when.

We are holed up in Skipton just now waiting for the word. Still, there are far worse places to have had to stop for a few days.

On 07/05/2022 at 17:50, Midnight said:

I guess there will be boats travelling to Gargrave now for the reopening. Do you know what the mooring situation is?

It's packed in Skipton with most boats waiting for the Gargrave locks to open and I am told several moored nearer to Gargrave too.

7 minutes ago, churchward said:

Nope, it is still closed.  The notice is still there on the stoppage pages.  They have promised to update tomorrow ( Friday 20th) at the end of the day and have also said lock operation will begin between 20th to 25th latest but no indication of precisely when.

We are holed up in Skipton just now waiting for the word. Still, there are far worse places to have had to stop for a few days.

It's packed in Skipton with most boats waiting for the Gargrave locks to open and I am told several moored nearer to Gargrave too.

As you say there are worse places to be stuck.

Havent been for a while now but the Narrowboat pub always used to be worth a vist. (An anomalous name for a pub in a town served by a wide canal, I know)

2 minutes ago, The Happy Nomad said:

Havent been for a while now but the Narrowboat pub always used to be worth a vist. (An anomalous name for a pub in a town served by a wide canal, I know)

When is opened, possibly around 1990, the local canal manager, David Blackburn, and myself did try to get the brewery to change it to something with more local character, but to no avail.

2 minutes ago, Pluto said:

When is opened, possibly around 1990, the local canal manager, David Blackburn, and myself did try to get the brewery to change it to something with more local character, but to no avail.

The Short Boat?

4 minutes ago, The Happy Nomad said:

It has been a very nice stay and we have been spoilt for choice of nice dog friendly pubs, eat-ins and take-away. It will be good to get on the go soon too.

4 hours ago, churchward said:

....... and I am told several moored nearer to Gargrave too.

My mate Big Jimmy who is waiting at Gargrave said there are still plenty of moorings on the village stretch.

11 hours ago, Midnight said:

My mate Big Jimmy who is waiting at Gargrave said there are still plenty of moorings on the village stretch.

OK but aren't those moorings the wrong side of the closure if one is coming from Skipton?

9 minutes ago, churchward said:

OK but aren't those moorings the wrong side of the closure if one is coming from Skipton?

The main moorings for the village are yes but there may be space on the towpath just before reaching Eshton road bridge.

25 minutes ago, churchward said:

CRT have announced that on their stoppage webpage that the lock will open on Weds 25th 09:00am.

So, a few days longer in Skipton for us.

Hopefully we will now be able to get Kennet to the Keighley Transport Festival on the 2/3 June. We expect to be moored at Stockbridge by the Granby Swivel Bridge, and there should be a free bus service between the K&WVR at Ingrow, events in the town centre, Cliffe Castle Museum and us at Stockbridge. There is a classic/vintage car display at Cliffe Castle, and vintage motor bikes in the town centre. Unfortunately, the Marquis of Granby seems to have closed.