Eshton Road Lock, Gargrave

Pluto

Featured Posts

6 minutes ago, churchward said:

Yep looking forward to passage through tomorrow, currently at the bottom of lock 30.

First lock we ever did as canal boat hire boaters. We waited there and Snaygill boats came to us by car to take us through/show us how to do a lock.

52 minutes ago, The Happy Nomad said:

First lock we ever did as canal boat hire boaters. We waited there and Snaygill boats came to us by car to take us through/show us how to do a lock.

Do you mean lock 30 the next one down which is the first lock after Skipton. That was my first lock too around 1987. Coming up two not very patient old boys insisted on working it for us. We were bounced around quite a bit. A lady watching came up with us to Eshton Road lock and showed us how to work it with one boat without the bouncing. Never seen anyone do a one boat double better since.

Edited by Midnight

25 minutes ago, Midnight said:

Do you mean lock 30 the next one down which is the first lock after Skipton. That was my first lock too around 1987. Coming up two not very patient old boys insisted on working it for us. We were bounced around quite a bit. A lady watching came up with us to Eshton Road lock and showed us how to work it with one boat without the bouncing. Never seen anyone do a one boat double better since.

Yes. Holme Bridge lock. We moored up, had breakfast and Snaygill met us to take us through,

Yeeha!  we have escaped!!!

We should reach the summit and Lancashire tomorrow weather permitting.

The CRT staff and volunteers were very helpful and we got through faster because of that. We were the first up in the uphill direction from lock 30 after the suits cut a ribbon and had photos with a working short boat coming down first.

3 hours ago, churchward said:

Yeeha!  we have escaped!!!

We should reach the summit and Lancashire tomorrow weather permitting.

The CRT staff and volunteers were very helpful and we got through faster because of that. We were the first up in the uphill direction from lock 30 after the suits cut a ribbon and had photos with a working short boat coming down first.

That was Kennet making for the Transport Festival at Keighley, 2/3 June, for which a flyer is below. I should be there both days.

keighley.pdf

14 hours ago, LadyG said:

I'm quite exhausted with all those locks, and I hardly touched a balance beam, I should think the guy who put us through will be having an early night! Thanks CRT.

You'll have to come back through them all to get to the Lancaster Canal ...