Tradespeople on marinas

Hannah Jones McVey

Featured Posts

22 hours ago, Mad Harold said:

The rule that most annoyed me and others,was they charge 3.5% plus VAT if you sell your boat privately as I did,or 5% + VAT+ advertising if the marina broker it.

If the private sale levy is not paid, legal action is threatened.

They can threaten all they like. The brokerage fee is acceptable, but the other fee unenforceable and you dont have to tell them anything, just that your marina fee paying days are over(after you have sold it if course)

We hear it all the time, ...marina says they can only sell their boat through XYZB brokerage whilst moored there(which is kind of acceptable)....all they have to do is move it out of the marina , or get a boat mover. However, there are marinas that say they want a cut even when the boat has been moved out!!

Edited by matty40s

23 hours ago, Mad Harold said:

The rule that most annoyed me and others,was they charge 3.5% plus VAT if you sell your boat privately as I did,or 5% + VAT+ advertising if the marina broker it.

If the private sale levy is not paid, legal action is threatened.

If you signed up for that when you took the mooring, I can't see you have much to complain about if they apply the terms you agreed to. But if it's not in the mooring contract, as Matty says, they can shove it. 

The other approach is to just write and terminate the moorings contract as per the terms within it, then sell the boat after termination.

21 hours ago, MtB said:

Years ago when I was on the contractor list at Thames and Kennet, they wrote to us all telling us to come onto the marina and carry out any work of any description whatsoever on any boat we had to first report to the office in full safety gear. Steel toe-capped boots, hard hat, safety goggles, the works.

This was just as my boiler repair work was really taking off so I told them to shove it, as did pretty much every other contractor.

I put it FAR more nicely than that though! 

This is no different than working on construction sites except that you will also be asked for your insurance details, method and risk assessments

11 minutes ago, Tim Lewis said:

This is no different than working on construction sites except that you will also be asked for your insurance details, method and risk assessments

It's very different from a construction site, working inside the confined space of a narrowboat. When accessing pipe joints in the back of cupboards, under beds etc there is NO need for head or toecap protection. 

Yes they wanted to see insurance too, which is fair enough. 

Just now, MtB said:

It's very different from a construction site, working inside the confined space of a narrowboat. When accessing pipe joints in the back of cupboards, under beds etc there is NO need for head or toecap protection. 

I recall being required by CRT to wear a hard hat when traversing Standedge tunnel. I did bang my head (or rather the hat). But simply because the hat made my head taller than usual and restricted upwards vision. Self-fulfilling prophesy! Inside a narrowboat, absolutely guaranteed to bang the hard hat into something!

22 minutes ago, nicknorman said:

I recall being required by CRT to wear a hard hat when traversing Standedge tunnel. I did bang my head (or rather the hat). But simply because the hat made my head taller than usual and restricted upwards vision. Self-fulfilling prophesy! Inside a narrowboat, absolutely guaranteed to bang the hard hat into something!

Reminds me of when I used to walk in home (house at time) before taking my motorcycle helmet off, I’d always bang me head in the doorway. 🤡

As a young site engineer I had to inspect reinforcement cages inside the completed formwork of tall retaining walls before the concrete was poured. Walking on one set of cross ties linking the front and back layers of reinforcement, my unhatted head would just fit beneath the next level of cross ties; with a helmet on, progress through the formwork was a combination of stooping and bumped hat.

2 hours ago, MtB said:

If you signed up for that when you took the mooring, I can't see you have much to complain about if they apply the terms you agreed to. But if it's not in the mooring contract, as Matty says, they can shove it. 

The other approach is to just write and terminate the moorings contract as per the terms within it, then sell the boat after termination.

Yes,I did sign up to it,but that doesn't stop me moaning about it.

I could have done as some others have and simply moored on the towpath and sold it from there.

The point for me is,if I had done that when I get my next boat I would not be welcome to moor here again.

• Greenie 1

23 hours ago, nicknorman said:

Same for me driving a tank, better off without helmet. :(

On 24/02/2022 at 10:46, Hannah Jones McVey said:

Any advice gratefully received.

My advice is to find a new mooring with nicer owners/operators. Unless there's something keeping you there? I left a nice mooring last summer as I was fed up with the operators rules. Sometimes you've just got to vote with your feet. 

• 3 weeks later...

Whether a charge can be made for the private sale of a boat when in their marina is in doubt, see posting on Yachting and Boating word:

https://forums.ybw.com/index.php?threads/selling-yacht-in-marina.457869/

It is probably an unenforceable term of contract.

I seem to remember another longer posting too.

Its probably like when you dud an auctioneer out of comission........they get very angry......but can usually do nothing..........anyway,there are time limits on agency,best to check the relevant statute.