st marys marina (rufford)

Deansm

Featured Posts

2 minutes ago, Slow and Steady said:

I'll sure you'll find somewhere, I don't know how long you'd have to wait over the road but I think they have a bigger variety of mooring lengths due to the shape of the place so maybe not too long. I think it's more luck getting on there - when I looked into it a couple of years ago they said it could be a year or two, but the situation there changes all the time.

all i can do is hope i suppose. boats survived the storms we have had so far so its doing well providing its moored off far land at the min must admit one thing canal trust have been amazing with me and issues ive faced since i purchased the boat and the grace they have been allowing due to winter stoppages etc ..it just keeps me awake at night storms etc hoping it not damaged or broken in to as so far ive put about 3 g into it and just do not want it naffing up..this year its going to need at least a strip down inside all ballast removing and hull checking and sorting, i just cannot do that at the canal side either as public are allways walking past,i do not want to chance and accidents. 

4 minutes ago, nicknorman said:

Well thank you at least for fully explaining why St Mary’s snubbed you. Even though you didn’t mean to!

right so your saying st marys snubbed me cause of some guy chasing his mrs around the site last year ...that wasnt me nor did i even own a boat .. so why should i be snubbed cause of someone else's actions ? 

2 minutes ago, Deansm said:

right so your saying st marys snubbed me cause of some guy chasing his mrs around the site last year ...that wasnt me nor did i even own a boat .. so why should i be snubbed cause of someone else's actions ? 

No that wasn’t what I was saying.

6 minutes ago, Deansm said:

.this year its going to need at least a strip down inside all ballast removing and hull checking and sorting, i just cannot do that at the canal side either as public are allways walking past,i do not want to chance and accidents. 

Some marinas place limitations on noisy works to boats, for example where we are they are not happy with power tools at the weekend, so It's worth checking up on the attitude to this of places where you might moor.

• Greenie 1

1 minute ago, Deansm said:

so talk english please then I can understand carnt i ?

I think what was meant was that you could start an argument in an empty room….and given that I & nick rarely agree it’s impressive quite how much I find myself agreeing with him here….maybe you aren’t ready for life on the cut or more especially a marina…oh and I’m quite happy to say to your face anything I might say on here….shall I start with stop being quite such a dick?? Maybe then you might get along better….

Thank you for explaining , right okay so as they know it needs doing up they would rather there patrons not subjected to noise and work around them while paying for peace and quite on the marine they are staying on ... there we go answered thank you ...finally we got there after my attitude being blamed,  me being blamed , all im trying to do is bring a boat what has a strange history back to life again for another 40 years :) but this with the work side this i understand thank you 

13 minutes ago, Deansm said:

this year its going to need at least a strip down inside all ballast removing and hull checking and sorting, i just cannot do that at the canal side either as public are allways walking past,i do not want to chance and accidents. 

I have to say, were I a marina owner or manager and you mentioned this in passing, I would reject you as a moorer too. If the whole of your boat interior is coming out, even the ballast, and you're expecting to do this on a marina berth and put it all on the pontoon, I think there would be objections in ANY marina to that! 

1 minute ago, frangar said:

I think what was meant was that you could start an argument in an empty room….and given that I & nick rarely agree it’s impressive quite how much I find myself agreeing with him here….maybe you aren’t ready for life on the cut or more especially a marina…oh and I’m quite happy to say to your face anything I might say on here….shall I start with stop being quite such a dick?? Maybe then you might get along better….

stop being suchh a dick really you are one yourself really arnt you .. how about you try conversation and understanding of others points of view as ive spoken to someone decent and they have explained maybe its just the fact they didnt want work going on my boat as it was moored thats fine but calling me a dick nice welcoming place this site isnt it !!!! and how do you start a argument in a empty room !!!its empty so you yourself are not even in the room, so their is no one their so all you would get is silence ...do you allways use stupid sayings that really are stupid as if you take them word for word they cancel each other out and no wounder nick don't get along with you ..do many people ? 

so ill tell everyone what ill do then just scrap the boat and go back to normal life :) simples cheers all take care have fun enjoy life 

• Love 1
  • Unimpressed 1

8 minutes ago, MtB said:

I have to say, were I a marina owner or manager and you mentioned this in passing, I would reject you as a moorer too. If the whole of your boat interior is coming out, even the ballast, and you're expecting to do this on a marina berth and put it all on the pontoon, I think there would be objections in ANY marina to that! 

yh i just figured that when i spoke on the forums i think it was two posts ago ... on that consideration i wouldn't either to be fair.. it is coming out in april as soon as the link opens up so i can get it lifted and have the hull checked while its out and was planning on doing ballast and the inside while it was pulled out as so much better just get a skip and sorted :)

2 minutes ago, Deansm said:

stop being suchh a dick really you are one yourself really arnt you .. how about you try conversation and understanding of others points of view as ive spoken to someone decent and they have explained maybe its just the fact they didnt want work going on my boat as it was moored thats fine but calling me a dick nice welcoming place this site isnt it !!!! and how do you start a argument in a empty room !!!its empty so you yourself are not even in the room, so their is no one their so all you would get is silence ...do you allways use stupid sayings that really are stupid as if you take them word for word they cancel each other out and no wounder nick don't get along with you ..do many people ? 

Any forum has characters that like to prod with a sharp stick, just ignore when they do. The same people are often very helpful too! What can you do?

As far as working on your boat, there are always two views - those with plenty disposable cash think everyone should be forced to use the boatshed for everything and that NO work should be allowed on pontoons. Those on a DIY budget think "it's a marina! - of course people will work on their boats!". Somewhere between lies sanity i.e. if you're going to do something really annoying nip out to a quiet spot on the canal. The only rule here is do not use a grinder outside (sparks) and do not envelope everyone in a cloud of dust... There again, the way moorings are allocated here puts all the DIYers together and generally they accept pretty well everything as they're doing the same kind of stuff themselves. The marina itself accepts that people will want to work on their boats but expects them to be mindful of everyone else i.e. don't be a dick about it. The common sense attitude of both the management and moorers is the reason I moor here.

• Happy 1

1 minute ago, Slow and Steady said:

Any forum has characters that like to prod with a sharp stick, just ignore when they do. The same people are often very helpful too! What can you do?

As far as working on your boat, there are always two views - those with plenty disposable cash think everyone should be forced to use the boatshed for everything and that NO work should be allowed on pontoons. Those on a DIY budget think "it's a marina! - of course people will work on their boats!". Somewhere between lies sanity i.e. if you're going to do something really annoying nip out to a quiet spot on the canal. The only rule here is do not use a grinder outside (sparks) and do not envelope everyone in a cloud of dust... There again, the way moorings are allocated here puts all the DIYers together and generally they accept pretty well everything as they're doing the same kind of stuff themselves. The marina itself accepts that people will want to work on their boats but expects them to be mindful of everyone else i.e. don't be a dick about it. The common sense attitude of both the management and moorers is the reason I moor here.

yup's i accept this without a doubt i explained in my last post what my plans where i was dumping 5g into it in April so get it checked rust sorted and re-batton the windows dry out the hull which will be wet from leaks or even just long term condensation damage, hot boat cold water condensation would build up over 40 years and become water in the hull get it checked to see if re-platting needs doing . the reason im this side of the water is i bought the boat a week before the ribble link shut and after that point cause of winter stoppages i have not been able to move the boat out of the area .. maybe best way forward would be to leave the bat near farm land strip it out where it stands and just have it ready for being pulled in April at last i got somewhere rather than being called cheers slow and steady 

• Greenie 1

A few years ago I stayed at Fetlers for a couple of weeks. 
It hadn’t long been under new management. Same management as ‘what’s it called’ on the Peak forest canal. (Name’s on the tip of me tongue)
Must say I couldn’t fault them at Fetlers.  
The bloke who looks after it (if he is still there) is a great help and very friendly. A Yorkshire man who used to be a game keeper. 
I’d guess they wouldn’t mind you working quietly on the boat but It’d probably wise to take it out somewhere for the noisy jobs. 

They were building sheds and lock ups while I was there. If you intend stripping the boat it might be handy to rent one. 

I’ve no experience of the other marina so can’t comment. 

I wouldn’t get too involved in tit for tat arguments on here. I get drawn into them from time to time and they lead nowhere. 

The forum will be a good resource and you’ll find most people more than helpful. 

• Happy 1