Gas Street Etc/Cliff Richard

mark99

Featured Posts

I went to see Cliff at the Empire in Glasgow, practically all girls, screaming and tearing up the seats!

We had his both his 45 records, and a Dansette. We girls all went to see Expreso Bongo, the film, I even bought the book,  Summer Holiday was better. All things Cliff, I think I was 17, which equates to 12 these days. 

Edited by LadyG
  • Love 1

22 minutes ago, Derek R. said:

If you can suffer Crossroads - you can suffer this:

For some reason my Father loved Crossroads so being a one Television household we were 'forced' to watch it 😞   

Seem to remember that the ATV studios were next door to Gas Street Basin, this clip is of the Crossroads cast on a boat in the Basin (Who remembers Amy Turtle?)

ATV Today: 28.04.1972: Crossroads cast and Miss ATV Today at Gas Street Basin | MACE Archive

Edited by Tim Lewis

1 hour ago, Tim Lewis said:

this clip is of the Crossroads cast on a boat in the Basin (Who remembers Amy Turtle?)

ATV Today: 28.04.1972: Crossroads cast and Miss ATV Today at Gas Street Basin | MACE Archive

There can't have been many occasions when a boat has been towed by a crusader on horseback!

1 hour ago, Tim Lewis said:

Seem to remember that the ATV studios were next door to Gas Street Basin,

They were on the site of the original Paradise Street terminal basins and wharves of the Birmingham Canal.

Edited by David Mack

2 hours ago, LadyG said:

I went to see Cliff at the Empire in Glasgow, practically all girls, screaming and tearing up the seats!

We had his both his 45 records, and a Dansette. We girls all went to see Expreso Bongo, the film, I even bought the book,  Summer Holiday was better. All things Cliff, I think I was 17, which equates to 12 these days. 

I met Cliff Richard a couple of years before he made that film. He came to perform the official opening ceremony for the Youth Club where I worked. He was very easy to talk to, but a bit religious!

We were at Norton Canes when the filming of Take me High was being done. Nearly got thrown out of the Cinema in Staines when we went to watch it because we kept commenting on the number of direction changes. The tree that falls in front of the land rover in it was felled by my next door neighbour of a few years before. We were back in the Basin when Benny was singing and the fore end is visible in the line of fore ends. ATV moved our boat off the Car Park bank without asking so they could film an episode of Crossroads there. They claimed that BWB couldn't tell them how to contact us!

• 2 weeks later...

I think the top image in post 1 is very instructive

It shows the school at the back of the church that fronted Broad Street and photographedfrom near the rear of Bingley Hall

Church and School Broad Street.jpg

Edited by Heartland

I can remember arriving early one Sunday morning in the mid 70s for a BCN Society working party (which met at Gas Street), so I took a wander round and found the door to that school open. I walked in, and through into the church. The organ had been removed and the organ casing was in pieces on the floor, but the rest of the interior was intact and rather grand. A great shame it was demolished a year or two later!

Edited by David Mack