Living on a 10ft widebeam near Exeter or Manchester

Hannah Jones McVey

Featured Posts

Hi all,

I live on a 50ft x 10ft widebeam with my family. We've been on boats for 10 years...we imagine we will probably move off one day but I'm not really ready. However my wife is an academic and looking to make a move either to Manchester or Exeter. We know Devon is near impossible but she says her research suggests we'd struggle to live near Manchester too so boat life might be coming to an end unless we look at a new narrower boat which is feasible...we've just put a lot into this boat so the thought of starting again is just not ideal. 

Does anyone know of anywhere we haven't spotted. Rivers round Manc for example? 

Be kind, I'm a bit wobbly today trying to get my head around the next stage!

H

All rivers are not the easiest to moor on, and if you look at yesterdays news headlines the Mersey (which runs thru Manchester suburbs on its way to Liverpool)  has broken its banks and 4000 houses have had to be evacuated.

The climate and weather changes are having a greater and greater effect on rivers and if it is going to continue it does bring into question how sensible it is to be a CMer (liveaboard) on a River.

Rochdale canal in Manchester is CRT and wide beam

There are wide beam narrow boats on the Exeter canal, which can take small ships, but I've no idea what the arrangement is, the canal belongs to Exeter City Council and you'd need a crane and a truck (or an interesting sea voyage!) to get there. 

2 hours ago, Alan de Enfield said:

All rivers are not the easiest to moor on, and if you look at yesterdays news headlines the Mersey (which runs thru Manchester suburbs on its way to Liverpool)  has broken its banks and 4000 houses have had to be evacuated.

The climate and weather changes are having a greater and greater effect on rivers and if it is going to continue it does bring into question how sensible it is to be a CMer (liveaboard) on a River.

We live on a river now but yes I do recognise it is tricky and I get the feeling it's worse up north. We spent 3 months last week wading a mile knee deep with the kids on our back to get them to school!

2 hours ago, magpie patrick said:

Rochdale canal in Manchester is CRT and wide beam

There are wide beam narrow boats on the Exeter canal, which can take small ships, but I've no idea what the arrangement is, the canal belongs to Exeter City Council and you'd need a crane and a truck (or an interesting sea voyage!) to get there. 

Also the Bridgewater Canal.Several marinas there,although it is not CRT but Peel Holdings.

Depends how close to Manchester you want to be. New Islington Marina is close to the city centre, and off the CRT owned Rochdale Canal. On the Bridgewater I think Stretford Marina is the nearest to the city centre, unless you could get one of the moorings at Castlefield. Cruising club moorings on the Bridgewater are non residential I believe. Not much else I think until you get some way further out. For Bridgewater moorings see 

http://www.bridgewatercanal.co.uk/boating/mooring. Beyond Leigh you are back on CRT waters. 

You could also consider Baltimore Marina at Todmorden or some of the online moorings down to Hebden Bridge and beyond. Over the top of the Pennines from Manchester, but good train service in.

Edited by David Mack

• 7 months later...
On 22/02/2022 at 16:44, David Mack said:

Todmorden or some of the online moorings down to Hebden Bridge and beyond. Over the top of the Pennines from Manchester, but good train service in.

Probably irrelevant to OP by now:

For some values of "good".

Usually about 1 per hour in each direction.