Induction hobs

Featured Posts

EH? - They're fairly hungry beasties.

My domestic one is in the loft as The Management won't use it (she thinks is a VooDoo art), but IIRC they consume about a Kw.

Their principal advantage is that the don't get hot but you're food molecules do).

Happy to be corrected.

19 minutes ago, NB Alnwick said:

Has anyone tried one on a boat?

will they run on 24vdc?

I know of a few boaters that have them but they all run on 240v AC via either the landline or decent full sine wave inverter & suitable battery bank...I think induction hobs by their very nature need AC but I might be wrong about that. 

They are popular with those that have the heritage/aga cookers as an alternative in the summer. 

• Greenie 1

2 minutes ago, OldGoat said:

EH? - They're fairly hungry beasties.

My domestic one is in the loft as The Management won't use it (she thinks is a VooDoo art), but IIRC they consume about a Kw.

Their principal advantage is that the don't get hot but you're food molecules do).

Happy to be corrected.

She is not far wrong in one respect.

The electromagnetic field they create can be dangerous to users of pacemakers.

I have a couple of 500watt hobs brought from Maplins when they were going bust. I use them when hooked up to the shore supply, if the range is not lit.

They do the job, only limit is the size of pans that can be used 18cm base. If using cast iron pans there is a risk with some high power hobs of cracking the iron due to the speed the pan heats up.

induction hob.jpg

Edited by nbfiresprite
  • Greenie 1

We looked at a boat recently that had one - the current (no pun intended!) owners said that the landline (16a) tripped out every time they tried to use the electric oven and / or the induction hob. Only way to cook was to fire up the humongous generator in the engine room (11kW cocooned Beta). The landline ran everything else, just not the oven or induction hob.

Rented a holiday cottage two weeks ago that had one fitted. Bloody rubbish, right load of nonsense. Unless the pan is dead pan ( love it ) flat they dont work. You cant regulate them as well as standard leccy ovens ( gas even better ) a ridiculous idea. I spose they were to catch out peeps that think anything new is better, they are definately not!!

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, Mike Tee said:

We looked at a boat recently that had one - the current (no pun intended!) owners said that the landline (16a) tripped out every time they tried to use the electric oven and / or the induction hob. Only way to cook was to fire up the humongous generator in the engine room (11kW cocooned Beta). The landline ran everything else, just not the oven or induction hob.

We have 3kw oven and 2.4kw induction hob. Use gennie when cruising and shoreline when not. Not tripped it yet but then we don't use both at the same time. However, if we did then power assist on the Multiplus would kick in.

Edited by pearley
  • Greenie 1

1 hour ago, robtheplod said:

We have these at home and work great, but not sure I'd want one on the boat... takes an awful lot of leccy....

If you've already got a super-heavy-duty onboard electrical system to run 230Vac appliances -- and here "big" means multi-kilowatt inverter/charger, probably a generator, lots of solar, massive battery bank (a 16A shoreline isn't enough) -- then electric cooking is fine.

But very few boats -- probably only electric/hybrid boats and a very few diesels -- have the power to cope with this. If you have to upgrade the electrics to support electric cooking the cost will be many thousands of pounds, far more than the cost of the hob and oven.

2 minutes ago, jonesthenuke said:

We have a small single ring induction heater and it works fine on a 2kW inverter.

A small counter-top one is fine (if inverter and batteries can cope), but presumably you also have a gas hob and oven as well?

Most people who ask about induction hobs want to replace a gas hob, and usually also an electric oven, in other words a "gas-free" boat. This is where it all gets horribly expensive... 😞

• 2 weeks later...