Fuel filter for Boiler

Theo

Featured Posts

I need to fit a filter in line.  The pipe OD measures 5.30mm with my vernier gauge.  Will 1/4" compression fittings work?  If not what will?

TIA

Nick

5 hours ago, Theo said:

I need to fit a filter in line.  The pipe OD measures 5.30mm with my vernier gauge.  Will 1/4" compression fittings work?  If not what will?

TIA

Nick

Hi Nick,

I suspect your pipe is either 5mm, 6mm or 1/4."

In any case, you must use the correct size compression fitting.

Even if the pipe turns out to be 6mm, you shouldn't try to use a 1/4" fitting even though they appear close in size.

Re-measure your pipe in several places and I reckon you might find it is 5mm OD.

Andy.

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks for all that.  Sorry that I haven't been back before this.  Life got very busy!

I am installling a replacement for my old Mikuni MX40.  Space is tight and for that reason I have decided on the new MX50.  Years and years ago (in 2006) I sent the old MX40 down to Eastliegh, where Mikuni live in the UK, and they returned it with a little disposable paper filter in a plastic housing with rubber tube connections and little jubilee clips.  Will that sort of arrangement still be OK?  Will it pass the BSS?

I have the new boiler at home with me.  IN the image of the inlet pipe you can see that the tube has been shaped to take an olive which, I suppose will fit over the widest bit and then compress down to mae the seal.  It seems odd that it should have been shaped like this.  Having measured it really carefully I find that the greatest diameter is 6.00mm but the OD of the rest of the tube is 5.10mm.

At the moment I can tell you the exact diameter of the pipe from the tank.

Thanks in advance.

Nick

Mikuni fuel inlet.jpg

That filter is designed to be fitted into hose and then clipped on the outside. I think you are going to have to buy some BSS compliant hose, keeping the documents that show it is BSS complaint for future BSS inspectors. Otherwise buy another filter.

55 minutes ago, Theo said:

and they returned it with a little disposable paper filter in a plastic housing with rubber tube connections and little jubilee clips.  Will that sort of arrangement still be OK?  Will it pass the BSS?

Fuel filters must be fire resistant, so unless your plastic housing is marked as fire resistant to an appropriate standard it will not comply with BSS requirements.

57 minutes ago, Theo said:

I have the new boiler at home with me.  IN the image of the inlet pipe you can see that the tube has been shaped to take an olive which, I suppose will fit over the widest bit and then compress down to mae the seal.  It seems odd that it should have been shaped like this. 

Mikuni fuel inlet.jpg

That is not designed to take an olive; it is a hose connection. Acceptable as long as the hose has the appropriate standard markings and is properly clamped onto the fitting.

On 08/03/2022 at 09:50, Tony Brooks said:

That filter is designed to be fitted into hose and then clipped on the outside. I think you are going to have to buy some BSS compliant hose, keeping the documents that show it is BSS complaint for future BSS inspectors. Otherwise buy another filter.

Thanks, Tony.  And thanks for all the help that you have given me over the past fifteen years!

They didn't supply a filter this time.  The pic that I sent is the inlet to the Mikun's fuel pump.  The filter was supplied with the old Mikuni when it was returned in 2006 so now I need to get a new one.  I will have a Google about and see what there is on the market.  I'll be back with a possible or two for opinions from helpful CWF people.

Thanks to  David Mack too.  It seems to me that the easiest way will be to get two short lengths of suitable hose to couple to each side of the filter.  I don't know how old the original copper pipe is and if has been bent back and forth a few times.  I am wanting to avoid any further work hardening so flexible tubing could well be the answer.

Next question:  I am left with a plaind pipe end on the original copper.  What's the best way to couple the rubber hose to it?  Will a tight jubilee clip do the job?

N

Edited by Theo

1 minute ago, Theo said:

Thanks, Tony.  And thanks for all the help that you have given me over the past fifteen years!

They didn't supply a filter this time.  The filter was supplied with the old Mikuni when it was returned in 2006 so now I need to get a new one.  I will have a Google about and see what there is on the market.  I'll be back with a possible or two for opinions from helpful CWF people.

Thanks to  David Mack too.  It seems to me that the easiest way will be to get two shot lengths of suitable hose to couple to each side of the filter.  I don't know how old the original copper pipe is and if has been bent back and forth a few times.  I am wanting to avoid any further work hardening so flexible tubing could well be the answer.

Next question:  I am left with a plaind pipe end on the original copper.  What's the best way to couple the rubber hose to it?  Will a tight jubilee clip do the job?

N

Either convert the end of the copper pipe with a hose tail on a compression fitting or crimp an olive on the end with a compression fitting and then either cut the nut off or just ignore it. Flexible pipe straight onto a plain copper pipe with just a hose clip is a really bad idea without something to retain the flexible.

2 minutes ago, Tracy D'arth said:

Either convert the end of the copper pipe with a hose tail on a compression fitting or crimp an olive on the end with a compression fitting and then either cut the nut off or just ignore it. Flexible pipe straight onto a plain copper pipe with just a hose clip is a really bad idea without something to retain the flexible.

Got that.  Thanks.

N

If you can get the copper pipe off you could heat it to red hot, let it cool and that will soften it again.

If the pipe is 6mm I woud do as  Tracy suggested and use a compression fitting to crimp an olive on and leave the nut in place. However I might well fit a filter like this. I uses a replaceable element.

Fuel Filter - Sheridan Marine

4 hours ago, Tracy D'arth said:

I used a car brake pipe flaring kit to flare the copper pipe.

On 09/03/2022 at 15:26, Tony Brooks said:

If you can get the copper pipe off you could heat it to red hot, let it cool and that will soften it again.

If the pipe is 6mm I woud do as  Tracy suggested and use a compression fitting to crimp an olive on and leave the nut in place. However I might well fit a filter like this. I uses a replaceable element.

That looks very suitable, Tony.  Do you have a brand name or a link for something like that?  I imagine that I can get the correct unions for that.  It will mean that I can avoid the compromise with flexible hoses and fit it into the copper pipe.

I had a message from Inline Filters who, after my enquiry said that a suitable one would be £141!!  Not that one.  I thought.

Nick

I think they are standard for oil fed central heating boilers so I would try local plumbers merchants because they will probably stock the adapters you will need. Also used on air cooled Listers but looking for that would probably involve a marine mark up. Sheridan Marine list them as do Plumbase (but theirs are green) and Heating & Plumbing World.

Google "small central heating boiler fuel filter". I would not be surprised if Online Filters did not stock them

44 minutes ago, Theo said:

That looks very suitable, Tony.  Do you have a brand name or a link for something like that?  I imagine that I can get the correct unions for that.  It will mean that I can avoid the compromise with flexible hoses and fit it into the copper pipe.

I had a message from Inline Filters who, after my enquiry said that a suitable one would be £141!!  Not that one.  I thought.

Nick

Google " ACD 60 filter housing" or "60mm fuel filter housing"

LS Engineers want about £20 for one.  Available with a 1/4 or  3/8 BSP female thread.  You should be able to get a suitable pipe union for that.

N

On 09/03/2022 at 16:26, Tony Brooks said:

I used something like that for my Webasto, only mine Is a CAV/Delphi water separator/sediment trap unit. 

• 1 month later...
On 09/03/2022 at 15:26, Tony Brooks said:

I got that filter or one that looks very like it.  There are no arrows on it.  Does it matter which side I use for inlet?

TIA

N

You need to look inside, at the underside of the top to see where the two ports . Convention has the dirty fuel going into the bowel and then passing through the filter and out up the center so whichever port  that is connected to the center is the outlet.

• Greenie 1

24 minutes ago, Tony Brooks said:

You need to look inside, at the underside of the top to see where the two ports . Convention has the dirty fuel going into the bowel and then passing through the filter and out up the center so whichever port  that is connected to the center is the outlet.

Agreed, you want the muck on the outside of the filter.

• 2 weeks later...