CaRT o' Cr*p: BREACH GDPR RULES??:oP

one of the hidden

Featured Posts

...it appears, from recent communications, I've had from "CaRT o' Cr*p" Regional Management, that they still have my personal details including my mobile phone number & email🤔

Are they allowed to do this??🤔🤔

I would have thought, they should have deleted my personal details, on closing my account with them, after I sold my narrowboat 5 years ago, and claimed the remainder of my licence back, which I might add, they held back £30, in admin fees😱

Or in other words, when the Civil Law Contract: Me+Them+Licence Fee as Consideration, came to an end then, they no longer had a justifyable need to require my personal deatails ie. billing address.

The Information Commissionsers Office Website states the following:

• You must not keep personal data for longer than you need it.
  • You need to think about – and be able to justify – how long you keep personal data. This will depend on your purposes for holding the data.
  • You need a policy setting standard retention periods wherever possible, to comply with documentation requirements.
  • You should also periodically review the data you hold, and erase or anonymise it when you no longer need it.
  • You must carefully consider any challenges to your retention of data. Individuals have a right to erasure if you no longer need the data.
  • You can keep personal data for longer if you are only keeping it for public interest archiving, scientific or historical research, or statistical purposes.

https://ico.org.uk/for-organisations/guide-to-data-protection/guide-to-the-general-data-protection-regulation-gdpr/principles/storage-limitation/

It appears to me, that "CaRT o' Cr*p" have breached all of these points and that "MY PERSONAL DATA" has been mis-used and not for the first time!!😱

• Unimpressed 2

2 minutes ago, one of the hidden said:

...it appears, from recent communications, I've had from "CaRT o' Cr*p" Regional Management, that they still have my personal details including my mobile phone number & email🤔

I would have thought, they should have deleted my personal details, on closing my account with them, after I sold my narrowboat 5 years ago, and claimed the remainder of my licence back, which I might add, they held back £30, in admin fees😱

Or in other words, when the Civil Law Contract: Me+Them+Licence Fee as Consideration, came to an end then, they no longer had a justifyable need to require my personal deatails ie. billing address.

• You need to think about – and be able to justify – how long you keep personal data. This will depend on your purposes for holding the data.
  • You need a policy setting standard retention periods wherever possible, to comply with documentation requirements.
  • You should also periodically review the data you hold, and erase or anonymise it when you no longer need it.
  • You must carefully consider any challenges to your retention of data. Individuals have a right to erasure if you no longer need the data.
  • You can keep personal data for longer if you are only keeping it for public interest archiving, scientific or historical research, or statistical purposes.

https://ico.org.uk/for-organisations/guide-to-data-protection/guide-to-the-general-data-protection-regulation-gdpr/principles/storage-limitation/

It appears to me, that "CaRT o' Cr*p" have breached all of these points and that "MY PERSONAL DATA" has been mis-used and not for the first time!!😱

Have you unsubscribed from their emails?

Other wise this is just another rant that appear to typify your recent posts on here.

Just ask them, their data controller, to remove your details.  People sell boats and later buy another and need a licence.  As they have had a relationship with you, they can reasonably keep your contact details for a while after you redeemed your old licence, unless you ask for them to be removed.

• Greenie 1

We have not been told the nature of these "recent communications". Was there something offensive or intrusive about them? Many firms contact former customers from time to time, for example with information about new products which may be of interest.

Have you not found something else to rave about in 5 years?

Does it make any difference to your life that C&RT still know your details?

Do you rant about Google, Apple, HMRC, NHS DVLC etc. knowing you?

Are you on Facebook etc?

Suck it up, the world goes on.

Edited by Tracy D'arth
  • Greenie 2
  • Haha 1

The OP is a real life illustration of the "Pareto principle", where 80% of the consequences come from 20% of the causes.

In the case of CRT it often strikes me that 80% of the admin work they do is created by 20% of the customers (boaters). Most boaters (the 80%) quietly renew their licenses on-line and never find the need to call or contact CRT for years on end. Other boaters are constantly emailing or calling CRT with long strings of (often trivial or made up) grievances, these being the 20%.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pareto_principle

• Greenie 4

It's laid out in their GDPR policy schedule - "Unless otherwise specified below, we delete this personal information 7 years after the end of 
the relevant boat license, business boating agreement, mooring permit or other agreement." If you don't think this period is properly reasonable under the Regulations then complain to the ICO - don't come whinging here until you've made up a substantive complaint to them and are prepared to share it so we can contribute to ensuring it's properly grounded.  If you believe that CRT aren't following their own policy, then institute a complaint to CRT - but do share it here so we can comment once again on your reasonableness and restraint.

• Greenie 1
  • Haha 1

11 hours ago, one of the hidden said:

When GDPR came in everyone was hot on it, now seems it's an afterthought with many companies. Email them and ask them to remove your details, simple!

1 hour ago, enigmatic said:

I've never heard so many forum members unite in support of CRT before.

That's because I predict 80% of forum members think CRT broadly do a good job. Its a ultra-vocal 20% who think otherwise and do all the shouting.

• Greenie 1

37 minutes ago, MtB said:

That's because I predict 80% of forum members think CRT broadly do a good job. Its a ultra-vocal 20% who think otherwise and do all the shouting.

I think some of the respondents would be a little more quick to criticise CRT's use of their very limited resources if there was a real issue being highlighted and not somebody wasting their own time finding reasons to be angry about getting an email!

• Greenie 1