Leaking Water Pump

JRT

Featured Posts

Ok, so I was crawling into the space under the bed on my narrowboat to retrieve something when I noticed it was damp in there! (I wasn't a few weeks back) Further investigation revealed that the water pump had developed a leak. (see pics). I can't exactly see where this is coming from but I thought it a bit odd that the back wall was damp as well as underneath. It's not a massive leak but has caused quite a bit of dampness. As a temporary measure I've just put a bowl under it to catch the drips and I intend to dry out the area with a fan heater when I'm back on the boat next week. (The water is now turned of off btw)

Clearly I need to either replace the pump or service it with a 'service kit' if they are available. Any advice about this would be gratefully received. What are your thoughts about the cause and remedy?

Thanks

Pump wide view 2.jpg

Pump close up 2.jpg

Service kits are available. Years ago we used to repair them. Dont waste your time. Over recent years the quality has worsened, just buy a new one, they cost about the same now as thirty years ago so are naff. Easy job, just bin and replace.

I would concur with smelly, even though he has no boat. They are repairable, but rarely last long before leaking again in my experience.

Before writing it off completely though, I would get under there with some kitchen towel and a torch, dry it all off, and look closely to make sure its not leaking at a loose joint or pipe,strainer etc.

Difficult to tell from the pic, but ideally it should be orientated so the pump head is at the bottom.

4 minutes ago, rusty69 said:

I would concur with smelly, even though he has no boat. They are repairable, but rarely last long before leaking again in my experience.

Before writing it off completely though, I would get under there with some kitchen towel and a torch, dry it all off, and look closely to make sure its not leaking at a loose joint or pipe,strainer etc.

Difficult to tell from the pic, but ideally it should be orientated so the pump head is at the bottom.

Wher ya bin young Rusty? :cheers:

There is a horizontal line of damp along the far wall in the top photo. What is that? It doesn't look to be caused by a leaking pump.

Before condemning your existing pump I would turn the water off and run a tap to lose any water pressure. Then thoroughly dry the whole of the pump and surrounding pipework with toilet paper. Turn on the water, go around the pump and pipework with a fresh piece of dry toilet paper and see where the water is leaking out from. That will help determine what you need to do about it.

First thing to do is beat ten bells out of the eeejut, who fitted it there. Secondly, either replace it some where sensible, or cut out a nice big square over it for easy access.

It also wants flexible pipe to the inlet and outlet. Did a muppet do the fit out?

• Greenie 1

2 hours ago, David Mack said:

There is a horizontal line of damp along the far wall in the top photo. What is that? It doesn't look to be caused by a leaking pump.

I thought that too. 

I reckon that is nothing to do with the water pump. My money is on there being a leaking porthole in line with and above that peak in the damp line.

I've got my water pump installed in a rectangular washing up bowl with a 9v battery operated water level alarm sensor inside the bowl. Admittedly it was a Sureflow pump that leaked (twice) which prompted me to use the washing up bowl and I've since upgraded to Jabsco, but I don't trust any of them not to leak eventually.

1 hour ago, Alan de Enfield said:

Do you think that the quality of the fitouts / installations could be why they are defuct ?

I don't think so. Well, at least my boat seems to have a good quality fitout. It's 20 years old but is still in very good condition and everything is working well. (Apart from the leaking pump obviously!)

2 minutes ago, JRT said:

I don't think so. Well, at least my boat seems to have a good quality fitout. It's 20 years old but is still in very good condition and everything is working well. (Apart from the leaking pump obviously!)

Apart from the pump being installed incorrectly (for 2 reasons)

If they cannot install a pump correctly it just makes you wonder what else was done by the 'boy helping out on his Saturday job'.

• Greenie 1

I just thought I should give everyone who was kind enough to offer their advice an update.

I replaced the pump today with a Jabsco model of similar output etc. but half the price of a replacement Flojet. (The guy at Midland Chandlers in Braunston who sold it to me couldn't have been more helpful!). It went in quite easily especially as I discovered that with the removal of a few screws from the bed base I could gain access from above. I've triple checked and all seems fine - the water is flowing and no leaks! It did take me several days with a fan heater to dry out the area but I've learned my lesson and will check out the pumps etc. more frequently in future.

Cheers everyone

• Greenie 3

On 20/02/2022 at 23:01, blackrose said:

I've got my water pump installed in a rectangular washing up bowl with a 9v battery operated water level alarm sensor inside the bowl. Admittedly it was a Sureflow pump that leaked (twice) which prompted me to use the washing up bowl and I've since upgraded to Jabsco, but I don't trust any of them not to leak eventually.

I use a plastic meat tray also with the water alarm