regular prescribed medicine

joe c

Featured Posts

Just now, Alan de Enfield said:

D                H               L

Thats not helping.

Can we for once just help a new member?

With their very first post.

DHL are a courier company who will deliver stuff pretty well anywhere.  My late brother-in-law had been resident in France for many decades. When he died intestate, and we had to get some urgent French legal documents to one of his heirs who was working in a remote place in the  Australian outback for signature and return, DHL did it in under a week.

28 minutes ago, Mike Hurley said:

DHL

What an unhelpful reply ! To get  prescribed medicine requires a prescription from a doctor being dispensed at a phsrmacy and while I have no experience of  this while boating I gather that it is possible to have the doc email the prescription  to a pharmacy where you can pick up the medicine. . While DMR do deliveries I don't think they have a part to play in obtaining regular medicine

• Greenie 3

When your doctor provides a prescription you can select the pharmacy you wish it to be dispensed at. 

My doctors surgery does things using an app now and it is all electronic so, when I know I am going to need a prescription I plan to be somewhere with a handy pharmacy and select that one. 

There have been occasional hiccups but if you end up in the wrong place you can call the original pharmacy and ask they to put it back on " the spine" - you get a number where the next pharmacy can take it off the spine to dispense it. 

The one thing you are likely to need is your NHS number so make a note of it from an old prescription 

Also beware of larger towns where they may have more than one branch of a pharmacy. I have ended up walking further than planned before now!

• Greenie 2

8 minutes ago, haggis said:

What an unhelpful reply ! To get  prescribed medicine requires a prescription from a doctor being dispensed at a phsrmacy 

Yes it does so you would think speaking to your doctor might just be a good idea?

• Unimpressed 1

Just now, cheshire~rose said:

Why increase the load for our overworked health professionals if you can get a reliable answer from someone who already knows how it works? 

Because someone who knows how it works is not the person signing the prescription, doctor has to do that so thats why i suggested that is where you start. Seems obvious to me.

• Unimpressed 1

5 minutes ago, Mike Hurley said:

Because someone who knows how it works is not the person signing the prescription, doctor has to do that so thats why i suggested that is where you start. Seems obvious to me.

You first suggested DHL.

You did not initially suggest contacting the GP.

Your replies frankly were completely useless.

19 minutes ago, cheshire~rose said:

When your doctor provides a prescription you can select the pharmacy you wish it to be dispensed at. 

My doctors surgery does things using an app now and it is all electronic so, when I know I am going to need a prescription I plan to be somewhere with a handy pharmacy and select that one. 

There have been occasional hiccups but if you end up in the wrong place you can call the original pharmacy and ask they to put it back on " the spine" - you get a number where the next pharmacy can take it off the spine to dispense it. 

The one thing you are likely to need is your NHS number so make a note of it from an old prescription 

Also beware of larger towns where they may have more than one branch of a pharmacy. I have ended up walking further than planned before now!

This is now how I request my meds as does Mrs HN. We do it through the NHS app. 

Edited by The Happy Nomad

4 minutes ago, Mike Hurley said:

The question was how does one receive regular prescribed medicine, if it has already been prescribed you do not need to speak to a doctor to get a prescription.

Kindly stop trolling 

• Greenie 2

2 minutes ago, cheshire~rose said:

The question was how does one receive regular prescribed medicine, if it has already been prescribed you do not need to speak to a doctor to get a prescription.

Indeed you dont 

I have five meds on my repeat list not all of which I need every month.

I log in either via the NHS app or my local surgery app choose the meds need for the next month select the Pharmacy where I want to collect them and two working days later they are there for me to collect.

It is so easy, almost to easy.

13 minutes ago, The Happy Nomad said:

You first suggested DHL.

You did not initially suggest contacting the GP.

Your replies frankly were completely useless.

As you are not the OP i would not worry about it.

• Unimpressed 1

12 minutes ago, Mike Hurley said:

As you are not the OP i would not worry about it.

What exactly is your problem?

Your post was spectacularly unhelpful to someone making their very first post on the forum.

If you cant say anything actually helpful then perhaps you would have been better keeping your thoughts to yourself.

Edited by The Happy Nomad

12 minutes ago, The Happy Nomad said:

What exactly is your problem?

Your post was spectacularly unhelpful to someone making their very first post on the forum.

If you cant say anything actually helpful then perhaps you would have been better keeping your thoughts to yourself.

Maybe i should have been more specific, DHL is Direct Healthcare LTD, they operate http://www.chemistdirect.co.uk which is an online pharmacy but having looked closer it is only over the counter stuff so no use to the OP. 

38 minutes ago, Mike Hurley said:

Maybe i should have been more specific, DHL is Direct Healthcare LTD, they operate http://www.chemistdirect.co.uk which is an online pharmacy but having looked closer it is only over the counter stuff so no use to the OP. 

On the other hand, bear in mind The Happy Nomad's usual reason for posting on here is to stir up conflict, which he enjoys immensely. 

• Greenie 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Mike Hurley said:

I tried putting the pharmacy address in the comments box, it worked first time, but then I moved, and they sent it to first pharmacy. Also be aware that in you need the full address, and even the NHS pharmacy  code to make sure it goes to the right place. If things can go wrong, they will go wrong. 

Thank you all for your positive comments. We are seriously considering buying a boat to retire to but obviously health is a priority. We already do online requests so nominating a local chemist would be the best option. Many thanks all. 

9 minutes ago, MtB said:

On the other hand, bear in mind The Happy Nomad's usual reason for posting on here is to stir up conflict, which he enjoys immensely. 

Not at all Mr Boiler.

But as you have mentioned conflict, the same could be said of much of what you post. Including the above.

You are just another forum hypocrite and another who cannot see it.

If you think giving half baked unhelpful answers to brand new posters is the way to go, it says much about you, but nothing most of us don't already know.

53 minutes ago, Mike Hurley said:

Well if you meant chemistdirect it would have been a damn sight more helpful to have said so at the start, rather than referring to the general courier company DHL.

• Greenie 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, joe c said:

Thank you all for your positive comments. We are seriously considering buying a boat to retire to but obviously health is a priority. We already do online requests so nominating a local chemist would be the best option. Many thanks all. 

The system works really well. We had to use it while we were out cruising a couple of years ago when OH became suddenly unwell and needed antibiotics which our doctor was happy to prescribe over the phone. It took a couple of phone calls to the surgery and the (very helpful) chemist in Great Haywood to get our heads around the system but over the course of the next few weeks we had prescriptions sent to more than one chemist on our travels.