Smokeless Rubbish?

Tracy D'arth

Featured Posts

Is it me or are the current smokeless fuels rubbish?

I have tried the popular ones and they all seem to have gone off, producing loads of sand and cement as ash and less heat than they used to. Its more like burning Thermalite blocks.

I have tried anthracite, produces very little ash and lots of heat, but its not so easy to obtain at present and the last lot I had was mostly welsh slate.

Edited by Tracy D'arth
  • Greenie 2

I would agree, just gone through a bag of supertherm and I've been emptying the ash tray three times a day where as I used to empty it maybe once a day at most.  Even with the vent fully open  everything seems to get coated in a layer of ash and fire cools down.

Ive wondered on this. I only use Excel and have noticed more ash when using it on my own stove this year.

Yet when Ive took a couple of sacks with me (so same batch as I bought 40 sacks) and used it on other stoves, which are smaller so working harder or more modern and efficient -the ash produced has been a normal amount.

So Im wondering if the increase in ash is because my own stove has spent most of winter on tickover and so burning ineffiently.

1 minute ago, PaulJ said:

Ive wondered on this. I only use Excel and have noticed more ash when using it on my own stove this year.

Yet when Ive took a couple of sacks with me (so same batch as I bought 40 sacks) and used it on other stoves, which are smaller so working harder or more modern and efficient -the ash produced has been a normal amount.

So Im wondering if the increase in ash is because my own stove has spent most of winter on tickover and so burning ineffiently.

Old boat had a Boatman stove so fairly small. New boat has Hardy Solution 5 which is about 25% bigger. Strangely we don't appear to be burning any more fuel and ash much the same

40 minutes ago, Loddon said:

Have you tried Ecoal

Works well for us

https://www.homefire.co.uk/ecoal50.html

Have tried it. Burns OK for us but more expensive than Excel.

56 minutes ago, Loddon said:

Have you tried Ecoal

Works well for us

Its the best coal we have had for a long time.

Wickes will deliver free if you get the quantity right (18 or 21 bags), we managed to get a delivery directly to the boat. Special offer if you buy in multiples of three, and an extra 10% if you can get a trade discount. Works out the same or cheaper than most coal merchants.10kg bags are much easier to lift onto the roof.

• Greenie 1

55 minutes ago, PaulJ said:

I think it's difficult to be sure but I do notice a reduction in ash when the fire is drawing well, the recent slightly blowy weather for example.

Anecdotally I do think there is a variation in batches but it's difficult to be sure and if there is I've never really noticed a big issue with heat output, so in my experience the possible slight variations haven't caused  any issues

1 hour ago, PaulJ said:

See my link,

Lots have noticed the change and the explanation is contained within that.

Our supplier confirmed the changes and what the results are ie more ash.

https://www.canalworld.net/forums/index.php?/topic/113706-changes-in-smokeless-fuel-composition/#comment-2736755

1 hour ago, Loddon said:

Have you tried Ecoal

Works well for us

I might give a couple of bags of this a try. It works out quite a bit more expensive than what we currently get (loose from a merchant) but it looks as if it has the potential for us to use less.

1 hour ago, Loddon said:

Have you tried Ecoal

Works well for us

I bought 3 bags from Wickes to try on the stove at home. Found it very hard to light compared with other smokeless fuels or the housecoal from my local coal merchant. Ash was about the same as other smokeless fuels.

1 hour ago, David Mack said:

I bought 3 bags from Wickes to try on the stove at home. Found it very hard to light compared with other smokeless fuels or the housecoal from my local coal merchant. Ash was about the same as other smokeless fuels.

Ah.

Think I'll pass then.

29 minutes ago, The Happy Nomad said:

Ah.

Think I'll pass then.

It's not hard to light at all, firelighter bit of kindling and away you go, the same as any other smokeless fuel. Unless of course it is wet.................

• Greenie 1

3 hours ago, Loddon said:

Possibly but it produces 40% less net CO2 and is cheaper than Phurnacite 😉

40% less CO2 than house coal, doesn't say how different to smokeless.

Tried Phurnacite once on the Boatman and not impressed.

1 hour ago, Loddon said:

It's not hard to light at all, firelighter bit of kindling and away you go, the same as any other smokeless fuel. Unless of course it is wet.................

I had a couple of failed attempts when I first used it, and ended up using twice as much kindling as normal to get it to burn.

3 hours ago, Loddon said:

OK I'll get a bag and try it and see how I get on.

Noticed in B&M today they have 'EcoBurn' packaged in a very similar way with same claims on the packaging and made from the same stuff.

From CPL

Edit - just cross checked and the CPL product is not a like for like product.

Further edit - it seems CPL actualy make both products!

Edited by The Happy Nomad

3 hours ago, robtheplod said:

I use this which is pretty good...

Homefire Ovals Smokeless Coal (coals2u.co.uk)

Blimey!! At that price per tonne I hope a little man puts it on the fire and empties the ash pan for me!!!...I might put up with the ash and pay about £200 less a tonne!....Homefire was good when I used it when it was a good deal from Wickes many years ago but its not that much better!!

I used to burn Oxbow red. Now smokeless and not as good. Now found a supplier of Smokeless ovoids for £9 a 20kg from Facebook. No idea on make/brand as white hessian plastic bag.

Homefire is ok, but expensive. Got some off Facebook for £15 for 5x 10kg bags as getting rid of stove in recently purchased home. I do like the 10kg bags for easy lifting.

Wildfire used to be a favourite of mine too for a few years, then manufacturers played around with formulation and not as good.

James.