a short 40ft 'ish historic wanted

Movin' on

Featured Posts

Hi,

Very keen to find a short historic (or dare I say we would consider a replica).

Just to get all the controversial stuff out of the way a shortened boat would also be OK! 

This is just for hobby use - bells and whistles not needed 

What we really want is a "vessel" with an interesting engine with lots of brass and a BMC (that's Boatman's Cabin before someone cracks that a BMC isn't an interesting engine!)

We don't want a "project" as we want to be boating this year but "TLC that doesn't need a boatyard" is OK.

Funds available for the right boat which would have to be surveyed - please PM me if you have or know of anything....................

I haven't posted this in "wanted" as we only want something unusual/historic

CV - we used to own 1/2 of Marcellus, and tugs Persia and Zulu

Cheers

J

Edited by Movin' on

11 minutes ago, David Mack said:

Change of heart?

Well spotted - no not really - we are now solely Rivers Severn and Avon focussed as sadly health issues have more recently "kicked in" meaning canals are physically too much for us but a recent foray into "plastic" river/offshore boats has been a disaster hence "interesting" steel wanted as we do want/need to keep afloat!

J

• Greenie 1

34 minutes ago, Movin' on said:

meaning canals are physically too much for us but a recent foray into "plastic" river/offshore boats has been a disaster hence "interesting" steel wanted as we do want/need to keep afloat!

J

There are some nice canals in Northern France and Belgium where the locks are electric

• Haha 1

39 minutes ago, stagedamager said:

Although not strictly historic, and slightly longer, Harrier  currently on brokerage at ABNB is a nice tug style with a Kelvin J2 at a fair price.

Much too big for our mooring on the R Severn we really want 35-40 feet max - Beeston/Sudbury/Tycho/Batavia...................

Edited by Movin' on

Pelican might still be for sale .....this was the ad i found in an old HNBC newsletter from the end of last year

Ive sent you the contact details via PM rather than post someones phone number on the forum!

PELICAN

Pelican is an icebreaker, 43ft, built in 1911 for Coventry Canal. Hull extensively restored over the last 18 years, powered by a rare single cylinder 11 hp Bolinder LDW with electric start. Three berth, Epping range, Vanessa cooker. A real piece of canal history. £26,000 

Edited by frangar

14 minutes ago, frangar said:

Pelican might still be for sale .....this was the ad i found in an old HNBC newsletter from the end of last year

Ive sent you the contact details via PM rather than post someones phone number on the forum!

PELICAN

Pelican is an icebreaker, 43ft, built in 1911 for Coventry Canal. Hull extensively restored over the last 18 years, powered by a rare single cylinder 11 hp Bolinder LDW with electric start. Three berth, Epping range, Vanessa cooker. A real piece of canal history. £26,000 

VERY close but wooden and "tender" - tender boats won't do for us on the Severn.

Good thought though!

3 minutes ago, Movin' on said:

Erebus no - seen it - way too top heavy and 50' is too big - where is Ebenezer on sale

cheers

J

I've just seen Ebenezer on the duck - we can't accommodate 50ft but my theory on length is also that if it cant be easily lived on there won't be a premium on the price as that's what everyone seems to be buying at the moment.

Whatever we find will only do occasional overnights.

J

• 3 weeks later...
3 hours ago, Lewys said:

Governor may soon be up for sale, i can send you photos if you would be interested she is 45ft

I wanted to buy Governor in about 1980/81 when she was an empty shell on the bank at Coseley. But Matty's weren't selling anything off then.☹️

Edited by David Mack

On 11/03/2022 at 00:18, David Mack said:

I wanted to buy Governor in about 1980/81 when she was an empty shell on the bank at Coseley. But Matty's weren't selling anything off then.☹️

I think she was one of the last to sell in around 1985/86?

34 minutes ago, Movin' on said:

I am reminded that "Grinstead" a CTS replica of a 60's BW wkg boat might also fit the bill - does anyone know where she is and whether she might be "available"?

Grinstead is a copy of the BCNS workboat PHOENIX which I thought is a relatively modern workboat. Grinstead was sold by the original owners two or three years ago. It isn't really much more than a day boat.

6 hours ago, Captain Pegg said:

Grinstead is a copy of the BCNS workboat PHOENIX which I thought is a relatively modern workboat. Grinstead was sold by the original owners two or three years ago. It isn't really much more than a day boat.

Hi,

Agreed but we are refining our wish list and a weekender with open picnic space would be OK.

Just finding anything short and interesting (like yours) is a challenge

J

19 minutes ago, roland elsdon said:

Grinstead is on ashby last seen at stoke golding in that layby by the bridge.

last owner lived on her on cov and oxford for the common 18 months.

he seemed keen.

Perhaps someone might know the owner or be cruising past?

3 hours ago, Movin' on said:

Hi,

Agreed but we are refining our wish list and a weekender with open picnic space would be OK.

Just finding anything short and interesting (like yours) is a challenge

J

Mine can be found quite easily, but alas it's not for sale. Anyway it's just old, rather than historic.

• Haha 1