Would you go boating in this storm?

TheBiscuits

Featured Posts

22 minutes ago, LadyG said:

I think they warned me about Eunice but not this one, I suppose us Northerners are expected to grin and bear it. 🙃

You need personalised Met Office storm warnings to make you prepare for storms? Why don't you just check the weather forecast? It's online and completely free.

Edited by blackrose

44 minutes ago, LadyG said:

I think I should be getting a discount this year as they are getting all this water free of charge 😁

I think they warned me about Eunice but not this one, I suppose us Northerners are expected to grin and bear it. 🙃

As a lumpy water boater I'm surprised you don't have several weather apps to check.

We had several to check and always picked the most optimistic to go by.

10 hours ago, Puffling said:

The two who have passed me today on the GU have powered past without reducing their throttle. Excusable since at tickover, steerage is less, and the 'washing machine' waves at present toss the boat about anyway. 

At Easter some 40 years ago my wife and myself spent a week doing the 4 Counties Ring (clockwise).  On the long straight stretch of the Shroppie that runs North-South, partly on top of a largely treeless  embankment, the strong wind blowing from the Welsh Marches meant that we had to run the engine at full throttle with the tiller held over to proceed in a straight line with the boat at an angle to the direction of travel, the bows and stern each being a foot or so from the opposite banks. We had to quickly straighten up the tiller whenever we passed the occasional clump of trees that briefly provided shelter, to avoid running into the bank.  I don't recall passing any moored boats.  Mooring up at locks was not a problem as the tow path was on the down-wind side, but casting off again was an interesting experience.

Edited by Ronaldo47
typos

9 minutes ago, Bristolfashion said:

It's an interrobang! On my phone, press and hold the ? button and you get an option of ¿ (the Spanish question mark at the start of a question) and ‽.

How weird, I've never heard of them before. Same technique in a Macbook gives me accented vowels etc (e.g. é) but doesn't work with the question mark!

4 hours ago, MtB said:

How weird, I've never heard of them before. Same technique in a Macbook gives me accented vowels etc (e.g. é) but doesn't work with the question mark!

The excellent radio program "The curious cases of Rutherford & Fry" is a bit obsessed with 'em. My system's android, but I'm sure Google will tell you where they are in Apple.