Would you go boating in this storm?

TheBiscuits

Featured Posts

7 hours ago, frangar said:

No different....advice not to navigate due to high water come through as a stoppage notice....thought someone with all your years of experience would know things like that.....but I guess you were just a fair weather boater in the summer......

I do have to differ with the CRT handling of river flooding. They are next to useless if it is a weekend or holiday period.

Moored above Sileby Lock for Christmas a few years ago, the Monkey Island tug moored in front of us most days as they went to and fro from their island. On the 27th the Soar went into serious flood...I was out at 3am loosening the ropes of the tug as it was at a seriously dangerous angle. The river went as high as it does for a few days. On Jan 3rd with the river still topping the banks and us climbing down to the towpath rather than climbing up, CRT sent an overstay email to the owners of the tug telling them to move on. Similar to the Liverpool ferry, they were in the same place most days, which CRT didnt like...even though it was back on its mooring every evening when the CRT checkers couldnt spot it as they dont work out of hours.

On Jan 3rd I received an email telling me the Soar was in flood and not to navigate.

• Greenie 1

16 hours ago, TheBiscuits said:

I've had an email from Damien suggesting I don't move the boat unless I'm in immediate danger.

Anyone else?  I'm wondering if it's been sent to all boaters or just CCers.

I got it too. Even though we sold the boat,  and surrendered our canal and river gold licence late 2017,  and have not been back to Europe since. 

I have just called CRT as the levels where I am have dropped 18” overnight. Sat on the bottom at an angle.

Anyway, as it’s weekend, I gather you are put through to an operative working from home. Message taken etc.

However, before being put through you are told the office is closed and reopens Monday. Unless it’s an emergency and a danger to life or environmental please call back. I had a decision to make. My life is not in danger nor is it an environmental issue. I called anyway. What would others have done? 

2 minutes ago, Nightwatch said:

I have just called CRT as the levels where I am have dropped 18” overnight. Sat on the bottom at an angle.

Anyway, as it’s weekend, I gather you are put through to an operative working from home. Message taken etc.

However, before being put through you are told the office is closed and reopens Monday. Unless it’s an emergency and a danger to life or environmental please call back. I had a decision to make. My life is not in danger nor is it an environmental issue. I called anyway. What would others have done? 

Hold on to speak to someone. You don’t know what’s causing it and it could be a breach etc. I’ve tried explaining to crt that the canal isn’t closed at weekends or evenings…..

2 minutes ago, frangar said:

Hold on to speak to someone. You don’t know what’s causing it and it could be a breach etc. I’ve tried explaining to crt that the canal isn’t closed at weekends or evenings…..

I did speak to someone and all reported but duty supervisor unavailable. Might well be a busy chappie considering the past couple of days. Messages left.

5 minutes ago, Nightwatch said:

I did speak to someone and all reported but duty supervisor unavailable. Might well be a busy chappie considering the past couple of days. Messages left.

I’ve been in the same position with a possible breach due to rather a lot of water in the wrong place and I did get a call back from the duty chap a while later.

I have to say I’ve mentioned to CRT many times that the out of hours system needs improvement in comms. Even if that’s just a call or text to say we know about the issue and thanks for letting us know….big incidents usually start with something small as a firefighter friend once said to me! 

4 minutes ago, matty40s said:

Possibly he was Canadian

https://www.rtbf.be/article/tempete-eunice-une-personne-decedee-a-ypres-10938422

Google translated:

A man died in Ypres on Friday after falling in a marina. The 79-year-old Englishman fell in the water because of the storm. He was resuscitated, but later died in hospital. This is confirmed by the police area of Arro Ieper.

The 79-year-old Englishman accidentally fell into the water from his barge in the marina of Ypres, due to the strong wind. Bystanders were able to pull the man out of the water fairly quickly, after which he was revived on the spot. Police said the Englishman was taken to hospital in critical condition. He died there later.

10 hours ago, DandV said:

I got it too. Even though we sold the boat,  and surrendered our canal and river gold licence late 2017,  and have not been back to Europe since. 

The email is from a mailing list that you have signed up to.  It has nothing to do with boat licences.  You can unsubscribe from the mailing list with the link at the bottom of the email.

18 minutes ago, Bristolfashion said:

Snuck down from Hawkesbury Junction to Coventry between storms. Now tied up tight. What will the afternoon & morning bring?

Yesterday from Sutton Wharf to Hawkesbury was HORRIBLE, but not dangerous or difficult.

The two who have passed me today on the GU have powered past without reducing their throttle. Excusable since at tickover, steerage is less, and the 'washing machine' waves at present toss the boat about anyway. 

3 minutes ago, Puffling said:

The two who have passed me today on the GU have powered past without reducing their throttle. Excusable since at tickover, steerage is less, and the 'washing machine' waves at present toss the boat about anyway. 

I do understand that when conditions require - but we snuck around avoiding the worst of the wind and thus were able to tick over past all the moored boats. One does wonder why boats are moving at the very height of the weather.

Indeed, the inevitable plastic bag on the prop ensured one section of extremely slow passing of moored boats!

The bunch that passed late last evening at "warp speed" when the weather was flat calm certainly seemed to be enjoying themselves!

However, as a yachtie for 6 months of the year, the worst that the canal has to offer feels flat calm to me!

When is this weather going to end, so much water, above, below and alongside, plus wind, I put on extra ropes a few days ago, not even been out to check them. I suppose it's not raining in London any more, so the met office have given up issuing warnings. 

Update, I see there is another thread with video, shows the effects of recent rainfall, and another new storm name. 

Edited by LadyG

5 hours ago, Bristolfashion said:

However, as a yachtie for 6 months of the year, the worst that the canal has to offer feels flat calm to me!

When I came onto the canals after a life on the Thames, I was rather taken aback at the prissiness of canal boaters whining at me to 'slow down' when I thought I was already going as slow as possible. They should try mooring on the Thames and having those 40ft gin palaces hacking past with their 18" wash, never mind proper waves in the sea! 

1 hour ago, LadyG said:

When is this weather going to end, so much water, above, below and alongside, plus wind, I put on extra ropes a few days ago, not even been out to check them. I suppose it's not raining in London any more, so the met office have given up issuing warnings. 

Update, I see there is another thread with video, shows the effects of recent rainfall, and another new storm name. 

Suprised that you have not complained to Canal & River Trust about it

• Haha 2
  • Unimpressed 1

5 minutes ago, Tonka said:

Suprised that you have not complained to Canal & River Trust about it

I think I should be getting a discount this year as they are getting all this water free of charge 😁

I think they warned me about Eunice but not this one, I suppose us Northerners are expected to grin and bear it. 🙃

Edited by LadyG