Would you go boating in this storm?

TheBiscuits

Featured Posts

I hate hate hate boating in strong winds.

Rain no problem.

Hot sun no problem.

High winds no chance, tie up kettle on or if the sun is over the yard arm wine/beer open and feet up.

3 hours ago, Loddon said:

The EA called me yesterday and said that I shouldn't go boating as the river is up and it's dangerous. Such a difference of attitude between EA and cart 🤭

But C&RT do say (I take it to mean all conditions not just flood & strong stream)

"2. You are responsible for assessing whether it is safe to use the Waterway in flood or strong stream conditions. Our Waterway offices may be able to assist. The most recent flood warnings can be obtained from the Environment Agency, either on the internet at http://www.environmentagency.gov.uk/ or by telephone on 0845 988 1188 (minicom 0845 602 6340).

Going to be an interesting morning down here, 12.8metre tide forecast and we are in the red zone as far as the met office is concerned, luckily we are about 100ft above MHWL so safe from tides but not winds.

Boat is 250 miles away hopefully it will be fine.

Edited by Loddon

21 hours ago, Loddon said:

The EA called me yesterday and said that I shouldn't go boating as the river is up and it's dangerous. Such a difference of attitude between EA and cart 🤭

I've had an email from Damien suggesting I don't move the boat unless I'm in immediate danger.

Anyone else?  I'm wondering if it's been sent to all boaters or just CCers.

• Greenie 1

Storm Eunice

Hi [TheBiscuits]

As you'll know, red weather warnings are in effect with high winds now forecast across much of the network today, please take care and don’t take unnecessary risks. 

Only move your boat if you are in immediate danger in your current location. If you’re planning an amazing towpath walk, we’d love to see you tomorrow. For today, enjoy our ‘canals at home’ content. There are regular weather updates via the Met Office and Environment Agency.

Stay safe, 

Damian

25 minutes ago, TheBiscuits said:

I've had an email from Damien suggesting I don't move the boat unless I'm in immediate danger.

Anyone else?  I'm wondering if it's been sent to all boaters or just CCers.

I've got it, and I have not been on C&RT waters (or had a C&RT licence) for about 2 years.

I don't think that they keep their mailing lists up to date (as required by law)

3 minutes ago, Alan de Enfield said:

I've got it, and I have not been on C&RT waters (or had a C&RT licence) for about 2 years.

I don't think that they keep their mailing lists up to date (as required by law)

Do you still get the Boaters Update emails?

They might have sent it to that list rather than the customer list.

5 minutes ago, Alan de Enfield said:

They will catch up. I'm now 6 years and counting and don't get anything from them any longer. Can't recall precisely when they stopped though.

1 minute ago, Bristolfashion said:

Eek, a narrow boat has just gone past on the Ashby - looked like a hire boat so it was either the super experienced & competent staff or a clueless hirer. What looked suspiciously like a beer in the hand of the steerer suggests ........!

Don't you have to bring your own booze to all work meetings these days?  I'm sure I heard that somewhere recently ... :cheers:

• Haha 3

1 hour ago, Bristolfashion said:

Eek, a narrow boat has just gone past on the Ashby - looked like a hire boat so it was either the super experienced & competent staff or a clueless hirer. What looked suspiciously like a beer in the hand of the steerer suggests ........!

I think the problem is hire boaters are tempted out in bad weather because they have paid a lot of money for just a few days boating and don't  want to spend the holiday moored up, especially if they have just booked a short break and only have the boat for 3-4 days.

(PS - it also might actually have been a super experienced & competent hire boater.)

Edited by The Happy Nomad

15 minutes ago, frangar said:

Well what do you expect with a comment like you made?? Perhaps EA boaters have less common sense…..

What you don't realise is that it's an automated warning when the river goes on to SSA. Only a fool would go out on the Nene when a SSA is in force. 

But then a big brave chap like you might think it's manly to be out when the river is in flood.

Just now, Loddon said:

What you don't realise is that it's an automated warning when the river goes on to SSA. Only a fool would go out on the Nene when a SSA is in force. 

But then a big brave chap like you might think it's manly to be out when the river is in flood.

So just the same as if you registered for the CRT stoppages then when they show a Strong Stream.......so what was your point exactly?

2 minutes ago, frangar said:

So just the same as if you registered for the CRT stoppages then when they show a Strong Stream.......so what was your point exactly?

Slight difference between stoppages and floods😉

There is a stoppage at the next lock downstream so even if I was a big butch man like you I couldn't go boating 🤭

5 minutes ago, Loddon said:

Slight difference between stoppages and floods😉

There is a stoppage at the next lock downstream so even if I was a big butch man like you I couldn't go boating 🤭

No different....advice not to navigate due to high water come through as a stoppage notice....thought someone with all your years of experience would know things like that.....but I guess you were just a fair weather boater in the summer......

4 minutes ago, frangar said:

No different....advice not to navigate due to high water come through as a stoppage notice....thought someone with all your years of experience would know things like that.....but I guess you were just a fair weather boater in the summer......

The notices were still sent out on paper when I stopped cruising on the ditches.🤣