Name that lock

sueanddaren

Featured Posts

4 minutes ago, matty40s said:

Someones garden?

I think there is a photo of such a thing in the long running photo thread.

It is a genuine lock but has ended up in a garden.

Or I could be talking boll9cks.

BW  & CaRT have doe such things at Chelsea and garden festivals but which one that is I do not know. There seems to be  what looks like a river the other side of the hedge but no signs of the main road so I think that rules out Chelsea. I definitely think north of Watford Gap

12 hours ago, sueanddaren said:

close.... It's in a public place, you pay entry to get in. They've even made the top gates leak for authenticity.

Quite. Its obviously not a real lock as the water level beyond the far gates is higher than one side of the lock which can never happen. Further, there are no hinge posts on the gates so they are not designed to open, and the paddle gear is hard up against the sides of the lock so no paddles below, and the chamber looks too short for a boat too. 

So its an approximate mock-up of a lock by someone who does not understand canals.

But where, I've no idea. Is there a clue in the photo?!

1 hour ago, MtB said:

But where, I've no idea. Is there a clue in the photo?!

I would suggest yes. The what looks like a river with the building with the distinctive roof in the far distance and the fact the area looks rather unkempt so it was probably part of an event held some years ago. Local knowledge required, I think.

Edited by Tony Brooks