Getting to know your boat training?

Mgt

Featured Posts

On 16/02/2022 at 18:12, Mgt said:

Hello!

I'm nearly on the brink, ... plan on a helmsman training in due course.  However what I'm far more concerned about and wondered if anyone here knows whether it's possible to hire someone to come on the boat and show one how it works.  ...

Hi M. Welcome to the brink. You will love it.

We did a Helmsman training course on our first outing after buying our boat (in Braunston). It was great, and gave us early confidence in cruising and manoeuvring. Two of the many things our trainer taught us, useful almost every day since, were: how to tie a boatman's knot ('This will never come undone until you undo it.'); and how to smoothly wind in a winding hole. I often see long term boaters who clearly haven't learned  these basic and valuable lessons that make boating a lot easier.

I would also strongly recommend you spend a full day with the previous owner -- whether you buy through a broker or privately. Offer to buy them dinner afterwards. Offer to pay their travel fare or petrol to visit you. Every boat is different, with a particular (and often peculiar) set of systems -- electrics, engine, water, heating, paint routine -- and handling characteristics. And you will probably never find someone who knows them as well or as intimately as the previous owner. (I think most of these people would be chuffed to pass on their knowledge ... and know their former pride and joy will be well looked after.)

For a variety of reasons (some tragic) we never met the person who commissioned and owned the second-hand boat we made home some 13 years ago. And it has taken me years to work out how some of our systems operate. I still have no idea exactly where certain water pipe and wiring runs pass through the the boat (which would be jolly useful when things go wrong) ... and there is one switch on the wall that I've never been able to work out ...

If the opportunity to meet is there, you could save yourself some real grief and worry over the years ahead!

On the other hand I bought my first boat from a couple that had lived on it, on the cut, for 18 years, always paid others to maintain it and install anything new (it had a mastervolt diesel genny and big MV gel batteries etc) and consequently they didn't really have a clue about any of it, it just worked and when it didn't they paid a man to fix it.

Edited by Slow and Steady

2 minutes ago, Slow and Steady said:

On the other hand I bought my first boat from a couple that had lived on it, on the cut, for 18 years, always paid others to maintain it and install anything new (it had a mastervolt diesel genny and big MV gel batteries etc) and consequently they didn't really have a clue about any of it, it just worked and when it didn't they paid a man to fix it.

Wish I could afford that brilliant peace of mind!

1 hour ago, Jim Batty said:

Hi M. Welcome to the brink. You will love it.

We did a Helmsman training course on our first outing after buying our boat (in Braunston). It was great, and gave us early confidence in cruising and manoeuvring. Two of the many things our trainer taught us, useful almost every day since, were: how to tie a boatman's knot ('This will never come undone until you undo it.'); and how to smoothly wind in a winding hole. I often see long term boaters who clearly haven't learned  these basic and valuable lessons that make boating a lot easier.

I would also strongly recommend you spend a full day with the previous owner -- whether you buy through a broker or privately. Offer to buy them dinner afterwards. Offer to pay their travel fare or petrol to visit you. Every boat is different, with a particular (and often peculiar) set of systems -- electrics, engine, water, heating, paint routine -- and handling characteristics. And you will probably never find someone who knows them as well or as intimately as the previous owner. (I think most of these people would be chuffed to pass on their knowledge ... and know their former pride and joy will be well looked after.)

For a variety of reasons (some tragic) we never met the person who commissioned and owned the second-hand boat we made home some 13 years ago. And it has taken me years to work out how some of our systems operate. I still have no idea exactly where certain water pipe and wiring runs pass through the the boat (which would be jolly useful when things go wrong) ... and there is one switch on the wall that I've never been able to work out ...

If the opportunity to meet is there, you could save yourself some real grief and worry over the years ahead!

I am in exactly the same position, there is a switch (one of two ganged together) which does not appear to do anything. 

There is 12 volts at the input (and the output when the switch is closed) but nothing happens. I bought the boat through a broker and the previous owners (who sold in a somewhat embarrassing situation) would not speak to me.

Thanks, I will endeavour to get as much information and instruction as possible. It will be great altogether if the owner is available and willing to show me the ropes. In the meantime I'm using the forum posts to learn as much as possible - even if it's only getting accustomed to the terminology- all very useful!