Friday Wind Warning- Storm Eunice

matty40s

Featured Posts

6 minutes ago, Tim Lewis said:

I was supposed to be boating passt there tomorrow on a friends narrowboat, we've put it for a while for some reason!

As a large bit of the tent blew into the thames it’s not the sort of thing you’d want round your prop on the tideway! 

15 minutes ago, mrsmelly said:

Still no mobile fone or tv out here, in darkest Wales lol. Had no lectric for an hour this morning either 🤣

If you had a properly set up solar system you wouldn't have noticed the power cut 🤭

• Haha 1

7 minutes ago, Tonka said:

But your not in darkest Wales

It was with the leccy off this morning ;)

Just now, Loddon said:

If you had a properly set up solar system you wouldn't have noticed the power cut 🤭

Id also be thousands of pounds missing from my beer account that I would probably never get a return on ;)

4 minutes ago, frangar said:

What you need is a boat…..

Aint that the truth...................I couldnt hobby boat though, so it had to go :(

• Haha 1

Just before dusk yesterday, as the wind began to slacken, I went for a walk round the estate and found not significant damage. When I got back indoors a power r cut had occurred. It went on for four hours. Still, cold supper by candlelight with the stove burning cheerily and Radio 4  on was not unpleasant.

Then this morning Mrs. Athy asked me "Have you seen our fallen tree?" Well I have now, , it's about a 20-footer, fortunately it fell across our garden and did no damage to the neighbours' property. Time for a phone call to Mr. Jobie the tree surgeon on Monday, I think.

Well, I think that was definitely more than a bit breezy over here on the River Stort/top of the Lea - plenty of trees have come down along the towpath. I was working from home yesterday and it felt pretty hairy when the gusts turned and hit us side-on! Happily our spring lines fore and aft did a great job we remained secure throughout.

I did retreat to the pub we're moored next to in the evening when things had calmed down a bit. After wobbling around all day it was nice to have unmoving ground under the feet for once! The rum helped too.

Edited by Ewan123
  • Greenie 1

19 minutes ago, Athy said:

Then this morning Mrs. Athy asked me "Have you seen our fallen tree?" Well I have now, , it's about a 20-footer, fortunately it fell across our garden and did no damage to the neighbours' property. Time for a phone call to Mr. Jobie the tree surgeon on Monday, I think.

I'm sure he will be sitting by his phone with nothing else to do, awaiting your call...

:giggles:

• Greenie 2
  • Haha 1

3 minutes ago, MtB said:

I'm sure he will be sitting by his phone with nothing else to do, awaiting your call...

That was my thought too. A fallen tree in a garden, not fallen on a building or a vehicle and not blocking any access is not going to be a high priority.

That said, there's a chap popped up on Facebook locally offering to cut up anyone's fallen tree, and he doesn't even want to take away the timber for firewood.

1 hour ago, MtB said:

This had of course occurred to me. But he did a fairly big job for us last year, trimming down a row of leylandiae, and he's a friend of the butcher next door, so it's not as if we're approaching him as strangers.

1 hour ago, David Mack said:

That said, there's a chap popped up on Facebook locally offering to cut up anyone's fallen tree, and he doesn't even want to take away the timber for firewood.

Uninsured almost certainly, an idiot possibly, but definitely the sort of peep who plays merry hell with my industry 

Actually misread that, I thought he was offering to do it further firewood, possibly not an idiot then

Edited by tree monkey

41 minutes ago, tree monkey said:

Uninsured almost certainly, an idiot possibly, but definitely the sort of peep who plays merry hell with my industry 

Actually misread that, I thought he was offering to do it further firewood, possibly not an idiot then

There is another chap round here who cuts down trees for the firewood. I think you may be right about a lack of insurance.

There are numerous off-road tracks round here providing access to remote properties, and it is notable that whenever a tree comes down across a track, the residents cut enough of the tree away to allow vehicles through, and the rest of the fallen timber slowly disappears over the following weeks!

4 minutes ago, David Mack said:

There is another chap round here who cuts down trees for the firewood. I think you may be right about a lack of insurance.

There are numerous off-road tracks round here providing access to remote properties, and it is notable that whenever a tree comes down across a track, the residents cut enough of the tree away to allow vehicles through, and the rest of the fallen timber slowly disappears over the following weeks!

My slightly grumpy initial response was due to a proliferation of " cut your tree for firewood " type adverts that have created an unfortunate expectation that the wood has a real value and we don't want paying in actual money.

I can actually see how someone who heats their place from timber could give up a day to processes some timber and see it as worthwhile but it has had an effect on how people view what we do.

On a professional scale the waste wood has very little real value, simply the costs of processing, storing, drying, and delivering hardly covers the costs involved, unless you have serious volumes, there can be niche value to processe into planks and beams but the market is small and again costs are high

• Greenie 1

2 hours ago, tree monkey said:

My slightly grumpy initial response was due to a proliferation of " cut your tree for firewood " type adverts that have created an unfortunate expectation that the wood has a real value and we don't want paying in actual money.

I can actually see how someone who heats their place from timber could give up a day to processes some timber and see it as worthwhile but it has had an effect on how people view what we do.

On a professional scale the waste wood has very little real value, simply the costs of processing, storing, drying, and delivering hardly covers the costs involved, unless you have serious volumes, there can be niche value to processe into planks and beams but the market is small and again costs are high

On my Facebook feed I've seen two different adverts from the same company. One telling us that any trees in our gardens are worth money, the other advert looking for arborists and people with sawmills. Guess what, they seem to have a lot of people thinking oversized Leylandii will make them a fortune and nobody who wants to take on the felling job.

• Greenie 1

Never mind them trees. The power went orf in my hovel yesterday at the first sign of a breath of wind and still hasn't come back on. 

Should I write a letter? I mean, like, I lives in the posh side of the village, south of the canal. What are the electric companies thinking of?! 

What a good thing I has a bote to live on instead. AND Life is GOOD..... 

• Greenie 1

8 minutes ago, Rob-M said:

We have to head home tomorrow as apparently a couple of ridge tiles came off and bounced off the conservatory glass roof.

Had a phone call to say that some flashing had come loose on the cottage in devon. Not sure where as the main structure is thatched. My two nephews are going down to have a look and get it sorted (I hope). Since they inherit they can worry about it.     

17 hours ago, Loddon said:

Above his pay grade. Mine too. Maybe he could get a pv system installed. </pedant>

4 hours ago, Tim Lewis said:

Spent the day with WRG clearing trees from the towpath on the Chelmer & Blackwater 🙂

sart.jpg

Did you have to chuck them in the water? I'm quite sure towpath users will be grateful but you could be setting a precedent.

• Greenie 1

18 hours ago, Athy said:

A bit late for a tree surgeon. Sounds like you need to call a tree undertaker.

• Haha 2

4 hours ago, George and Dragon said:

Above his pay grade. Mine too. Maybe he could get a pv system installed. </pedant>

Did you have to chuck them in the water? I'm quite sure towpath users will be grateful but you could be setting a precedent.

???