Friday Wind Warning- Storm Eunice

matty40s

Featured Posts

4 minutes ago, Dyertribe said:

You may well mock MTB but my daughter who is 23 (today) and therefore invulnerable is dithering between driving from Coventry to Swansea either tomorrow or Friday. I think (?) I might have persuaded her to come tomorrow as sh my be invulnerable but her little Fiat 500 and high sided vehicles may not be so lucky 

An old mate of mine who used to be a neighbour of Frank Williams when he lived in Maidenhead, used to tell a tale of how Ayrton Senna was one of his drivers and used to drive around Maidenhead in a Fiat 500 (old type!) back in the 70s/80s. Anyway Ayrton used to visit Frank sometimes by tearing up the cul-de-sac, yanking the wheel to the side and rolling the Fiat multiple times to a stop on frank's front lawn just before hitting the house with perfect judgement, much to the consternation of all the neighbours. Then the two of them would roll the car back onto its wheels (if necessary) for further use. 

I dunno how true this was but it makes a great tale! 

• Greenie 1

1 minute ago, MtB said:

An old mate of mine who used to be a neighbour of Frank Williams when he lived in Maidenhead, used to tell a tale of how Ayrton Senna was one of his drivers and used to drive around Maidenhead in a Fiat 500 (old type!) back in the 70s/80s. Anyway Ayrton used to visit Frank sometimes by tearing up the cul-de-sac, yanking the wheel to the side and rolling the Fiat multiple times to a stop on frank's front lawn just before hitting the house with perfect judgement, much to the consternation of all the neighbours. Then the two of them would roll the car back onto its wheels (if necessary) for further use. 

I dunno how true this was but it makes a great tale! 

It is an excellent tale and a feat I would pay money to see. If number 1 daughter attempts similar she will be dead meat. 

Just sayin…….

3 minutes ago, Dyertribe said:

It is an excellent tale and a feat I would pay money to see. If number 1 daughter attempts similar she will be dead meat. 

Just sayin…….

So sadly there is no chance of that, as Ayrton died in a race in the 90s.

5 minutes ago, MtB said:

😢

6 minutes ago, MtB said:

If, as a dad of a few kids, you have any suggestions on how to handle this issue I am open to ideas. 

5 minutes ago, Dyertribe said:

😢

If, as a dad of a few kids, you have any suggestions on how to handle this issue I am open to ideas. 

Get her to email Frank, he is a nice bloke who will be delighted to help her learn how to roll her Fiat on lawns in front gardens.

Hope that helps.

• Greenie 1

7 minutes ago, MtB said:

Get her to email Frank, he is a nice bloke who will be delighted to help her learn how to roll her Fiat on lawns in front gardens.

Hope that helps.

I remember a time when you were absent from the forum, by choice.

Then you came back saying something along the lines of 

'Ive found a way of enjoying participating in the forum again'.

I took that to mean you now block people who called out your rather snide and sarcastic comments. 

Perhaps best to just not make such comments in the first place?

10 minutes ago, Dyertribe said:

Gee, thanks, I’ll sleep tonight.

You're welcome. Glad to have bin able to help....

But more seriously, I think you worry too much. Let her make her mistakes. A new version Fiat 500 is prolly fine in cross winds if perhaps a bit scary. 

Easy for me to say as not my daughter, but if it was I'd still let her find out the hard way. Human beans have a way of getting out of tight spots their parents think are terminal....

E.g. my younger daughter is getting married next weekend..... 🙀

22 minutes ago, MtB said:

You're welcome. Glad to have bin able to help....

But more seriously, I think you worry too much. Let her make her mistakes. A new version Fiat 500 is prolly fine in cross winds if perhaps a bit scary. 

Easy for me to say as not my daughter, but if it was I'd still let her find out the hard way. Human beans have a way of getting out of tight spots their parents think are terminal....

E.g. my younger daughter is getting married next weekend..... 🙀

This is a 2009 Fiat 500 though well maintained at ‘rents expense (still a student).

You’re  right, I almost got married at 21, that would have involved years of heartache for all involved.

Your daughter has my best wishes for a long and happy marriage and also my advice to tolerate no bullshit whatsoever.

It’s worked for me (28 years married and counting).

• Greenie 1

1 hour ago, MtB said:

Hope that helps.

Might take a while to answer, Sir Frank died last November, same day as my daughters birthday :( 

12 minutes ago, Hudds Lad said:

Might take a while to answer, Sir Frank died last November, same day as my daughters birthday :( 

OMG you're right I'd forgotten! 

Not that i knew about your daughter's birthday though, obv.... 

This is quite upsetting.... 

18 hours ago, Rob-M said:

It's very windy already in Great Haywood.

We reached Great Haywood yesterday lunch time and managed to find a sheltered spot just above the lock. We will move on today then find somewhere sheltered in time for tomorrow's storm. 

9 hours ago, The Happy Nomad said:

I remember a time when you were absent from the forum, by choice.

Then you came back saying something along the lines of 

'Ive found a way of enjoying participating in the forum again'.

I took that to mean you now block people who called out your rather snide and sarcastic comments. 

Perhaps best to just not make such comments in the first place?

Oh another member wants to wear the forum police uniform!! What size do you take? 

3 minutes ago, frangar said:

Oh another member wants to wear the forum police uniform!! What size do you take? 

Just stating a fact.

I take it youve got bored arguing with Ian on the politics threads so you thought you'd try and start one on here. Well not with me you won't.

Edited by The Happy Nomad

We appear to be in a calm between two storms here in TS12.

A bit windy but beautiful bright blue skies, no rain this morning.

Set to change to high winds with potential for snow tomorrow.

26 minutes ago, The Happy Nomad said:

We appear to be in a calm between two storms here in TS12.

A bit windy but beautiful bright blue skies, no rain this morning.

Set to change to high winds with potential for snow tomorrow.

Tis the same here this morning. Lovely blue skies and calm. Pleased realy as our newly formed ish breakfast club is going out at ten for a big breakfast. Its a terrible chore, we go out a couple of times a week to various places to try out the breakfast offerings :D Its a hard bloomin life innitt.

• Greenie 1

Large area has been pasted with RED warning area. I suspect more areas will become RED as the day goes on and detail becomes clearer.20220217_112009.jpg.286225b87e657b5b81b64ee8e13581a0.jpg

There is also a nasty little feature on some of the models that isnt going away across the Midlands to the East. Something called a Sting Jet which will be devastating if it happens.

20220217_100155.jpg

Screenshot_20220217-095707_Chrome.jpg

I presume that "amber wind" refers to over-enthusiastic flatulence, and "red wind" describes some of the posts in our Political section.

But seriously....I have to travel to King's Lynn daily for a fortnight. These means catching two 'buses each way, one of which is a double-decker. I am pleased that my trips don't start until next Monday. Our local forecast for tomorrow has been downgraded from a bracing 80 m.p.h. wind to a gentler 60-odd m.p.h., but I still wouldn't fancy travelling in a high-sided vehicle tomorrow.

20 minutes ago, Rickent said:

If that sting jet materialises then the damage will be massive, let's not forget, this is all going to be happening during the working day, very scary indeed.

Though we are not in the target area for that the winds here are set to peak exactly at school closing time which could cause some issues.

Schools here break up for half term tomorrow I suspect some may close early both here and other parts of the UK.

3 minutes ago, The Happy Nomad said:

Though we are not in the target area for that the winds here are set to peak exactly at school closing time which could cause some issues.

Schools here break up for half term tomorrow I suspect some may close early both here and other parts of the UK.

Again fortuitously, schools in this area are on half-term this week.

1 hour ago, Athy said:

I presume that "amber wind" refers to over-enthusiastic flatulence, and "red wind" describes some of the posts in our Political section.

But seriously....I have to travel to King's Lynn daily for a fortnight. These means catching two 'buses each way, one of which is a double-decker. I am pleased that my trips don't start until next Monday. Our local forecast for tomorrow has been downgraded from a bracing 80 m.p.h. wind to a gentler 60-odd m.p.h., but I still wouldn't fancy travelling in a high-sided vehicle tomorrow.

The double deckers will not be running tommorow if the transport manager has any sense.

Flooding - "Arrival of #StormEunice overnight on Thurs has potential to cause severe flooding with overtopping of defences, very strong winds & high waves. There is potential for record water levels along the Severn & Wye estuary." @EnvAgencySW 

Flood warnings and alerts out now."Storm Eunice is expected to bring severe gale force winds across the Bristol Channel early on Friday, coinciding with low spring tides. We are expecting this to cause very large and powerful waves along the coast."

5 minutes ago, matty40s said:

The double deckers will not be running tommorow if the transport manager has any sense.

Flooding - "Arrival of #StormEunice overnight on Thurs has potential to cause severe flooding with overtopping of defences, very strong winds & high waves. There is potential for record water levels along the Severn & Wye estuary." @EnvAgencySW 

Flood warnings and alerts out now."Storm Eunice is expected to bring severe gale force winds across the Bristol Channel early on Friday, coinciding with low spring tides. We are expecting this to cause very large and powerful waves along the coast."

I believe ours will run unless a red warning is issued.