Friday Wind Warning- Storm Eunice

matty40s

Featured Posts

3 minutes ago, gatekrash said:

Down in "sunny" Devon we (HM Coastguard) have got a briefing tomorrow morning to cover off what safety patrols we need to put out. Last time we had a really bad one back in 2014 when the railway at Dawlish washed away I can remember being stood in the street at Plymouth Hoe keeping the public away from wave watching, with the storm surge pushing the sea about knee deep up the road, and we were about 20 feet above the normal high water level. The waves were knocking massive limestone wall coping stones away and pushing them along like little pebbles.

However we're driving up to the boat on Friday morning as a stopover on the way to a friend's wedding on Saturday at Northampton, so hopefully we'll be being blown in the right direction.

I owned a house in the harbour in Looe a few years ago. One morning, I went to my front door to go out to the shop and the sea was lapping at my doorstep. A combination of wind and high tide had raised the level above normal. I sold that house and bought one in West Looe at the top of the hill.

Just had the local wevver girl on telly now here, expecting 100 mph gusts here on friday, again I am well up the hill away from the river here.

3 hours ago, Athy said:

There blooming well was! We were 13 days without mains electricity.

That was the second hurricane I'd experienced, the first being in Sheffield when I was a boy. On that occasion I remember catching the 'bus to go to school and, as we went down Arbourthorne Hill, the whole estate of prefabs looked like piles of playing cards - not packs of cards, they weren't as neat as that.

BBC Yorkshire weather reported on that last night - apparently 60 years ago today. 4 dead, thousands homeless, 100,000 homes damaged.

Richard Dimbleby reported from the city the following day.

• Greenie 1

Just done Leamington to Napton in the 'raging' not so strong winds with no problem at all.

We did stop at 3 pm just as it became a bit blustery and I was fed up with doing locks.

If I had believed the media hype I might have been scared to death or gone to the pub instead.

40mph winds in East Northants now. That's windy enough for me. I'm not looking forward to Friday when it's supposed to be 70mph here.

22 minutes ago, MarkH2159 said:

If I had believed the media hype I might have been scared to death or gone to the pub instead.

You think the Met Office weather forecast is media hype? Ok if you want to prove something to us then take your boat out on Friday! 🤣

Edited by blackrose

3 hours ago, mrsmelly said:

That was when seven Oaks,became Two oaks iirc. 

I slept through the storm. Next morning the power was off, and as my mains powered transistor radio wasn't working I didn't hear the morning news. Walked to work as normal, noticing quite a lot of twigs and branches on the streets and one or two garden fence panels down. Got to the office to find almost nobody there as most of my colleagues were unable to drive in due to fallen trees across the roads!

6 minutes ago, David Mack said:

I slept through the storm. Next morning the power was off, and as my mains powered transistor radio wasn't working I didn't hear the morning news. Walked to work as normal, noticing quite a lot of twigs and branches on the streets and one or two garden fence panels down. Got to the office to find almost nobody there as most of my colleagues were unable to drive in due to fallen trees across the roads!

I was working in a private estate down south for the second one, I remember being outside the main building and seeing tiles blowing off the roof and the a branch of a redwood snap off and basically fly away, never did find the branch and it was a BIG branch.

At that point I went inside and stayed inside

6 hours ago, mrsmelly said:

Going to the Cliff Hotel in five minutes time for a late light lunch. Its situated cliff top on Cardigan bay. Ill ,let you know if there is any wind coming from the west. At present its flat calm, hoping it stays that way.

Gwbert

4 hours ago, Athy said:

There blooming well was! We were 13 days without mains electricity.

That was the second hurricane I'd experienced, the first being in Sheffield when I was a boy. On that occasion I remember catching the 'bus to go to school and, as we went down Arbourthorne Hill, the whole estate of prefabs looked like piles of playing cards - not packs of cards, they weren't as neat as that.

I think that's you at 0.32 seconds in ....

20220216_203136.jpg

20220216_203149.jpg

20220216_203210.jpg

One serious reminder to all that leave stoves on 24/7 whilst you go to work.

The wind is picking up early, and then will go to severe gale force very quickly.

This will make any stoves with vents open more than a minimal amount run away with itself and potentially burn the boat out.

If in doubt, let it go out.

32 minutes ago, Dyertribe said:

Gwbert

Absolooootely. One of my fave places anywhere. One of the reasons I bought this house, in this area. A fabulous location. Stopped in the Hotel a few times, its modern but not orrible, with views to die for, as I am sure you will know!! Fantastic christmas day dinner :D

1 minute ago, mrsmelly said:

Absolooootely. One of my fave places anywhere. One of the reasons I bought this house, in this area. A fabulous location. Stopped in the Hotel a few times, its modern but not orrible, with views to die for, as I am sure you will know!! Fantastic christmas day dinner :D

I’ve always loved Gwbert and Mwnt, epitome of wild Wales 

• Happy 1

This is going to be our baptism in the new pad halfway up a hill in County Wicklow. Current predictions are 100kmh gusts. I guess we'll see if the roof stays on and the power stays on. If the power goes off we do have a load of logs stacked up outside to keep warm. They're being kept dry by a tarp though, so may end up soaked if that sets off down the field. No power means no water (well) and no cooking, as we don't have the backup camping stove yet. At least the previous snow warning is looking less likely, though we may still be kept here by fallen trees until the farmers get around to clearing them. The wind turbines on the hill above us were shut down during the worst gusts today. I imagine that will happen again for Eunice.

MP.

7 hours ago, matty40s said:

....and there wasnt.

However, there was a rapidly deepening Low pressure with explosive cyclogenesis and a track similar to what is coming Friday.

Similar track..????

35 years ago the depression tracked down the North Sea moving in a south westerly direction.

I think you will find that the predicted track of Fridays depression is exactly the opposite.

2 hours ago, blackrose said:

40mph winds in East Northants now. That's windy enough for me. I'm not looking forward to Friday when it's supposed to be 70mph here.

You think the Met Office weather forecast is media hype? Ok if you want to prove something to us then take your boat out on Friday! 🤣

I refer to the 'media hype' of today along with of course all previous recent weather hype such as 'snow bomb to blanket the whole of the country' etc etc.

It is quite obvious that the media are now exaggerating all weather related phenomena, possibly under instruction from those in control who want us all to stay home.

16 minutes ago, MarkH2159 said:

Similar track..????

35 years ago the depression tracked down the North Sea moving in a south westerly direction.

I think you will find that the predicted track of Fridays depression is exactly the opposite.

You obviously have no idea of weather history...or the wrong storm, the 1987 non hurricane was an extra tropical Bay of Biscay storm that tracked NE.

You might be referring to the 1953 storm that flooded the east coast and Canvey??

15 minutes ago, MarkH2159 said:

I refer to the 'media hype' of today along with of course all previous recent weather hype such as 'snow bomb to blanket the whole of the country' etc etc.

It is quite obvious that the media are now exaggerating all weather related phenomena, possibly under instruction from those in control who want us all to stay home.

Now you are being silly, the media has been pretty quiet until lunchtime today, the met has warned this from Monday.

The 1987 storm hit when most people were in bed, and still managed to kill 22 over UK and Northern France.

This storm is in daytime when people think that nipping out for an hour to stand on a promenade and livestream some waves for their 15k followers is a good idea.

• Greenie 1

1 minute ago, matty40s said:

The 1987 storm hit when most people were in bed, and still managed to kill 22 over UK and Northern France.

This storm is in daytime when people think that nipping out for an hour to stand on a promenade and livestream some waves for their 15k followers is a good idea.

Why do these brain dead morons do it, time after time :banghead:

27 minutes ago, MarkH2159 said:

Your 5g chip is clearly fully functioning.

24 minutes ago, matty40s said:

You obviously have no idea of weather history...or the wrong storm, the 1987 non hurricane was an extra tropical Bay of Biscay storm that tracked NE.

You might be referring to the 1953 storm that flooded the east coast and Canvey??

Now you are being silly, the media has been pretty quiet until lunchtime today, the met has warned this from Monday.

ah yes, apologies, my bad, I spent a lot of time in the southern hemisphere where things do happen the other way round.

26 minutes ago, matty40s said:

I cant speak for the media down your way but up here the local media have been on both storms since Sunday.

18 minutes ago, MtB said:

Driving home from bell ringing tonight I saw a wheely bin on it's side. 

No word of a lie. This looks SERIOUS.

You may well mock MTB but my daughter who is 23 (today) and therefore invulnerable is dithering between driving from Coventry to Swansea either tomorrow or Friday. I think (?) I might have persuaded her to come tomorrow as she may be invulnerable but her little Fiat 500 and high sided vehicles may not be so lucky u

Edited by Dyertribe

Think I've sorted a fairly secure mooring ready for the storm, armco, a decent hedge and hill to the windward side so not too exposed, but no trees. Wondering what wind speed will shatter standard narrowboat single glazing?😅🤦‍♂️