I have an idea, but it might be crazy?

Featured Posts

Hi All

My weed hatch is quite rusty and I'd like to give it a spruce up. In doing this I'd need to take it out, dry it etc and a thought occurred to me!  As I don't live on the boat and its stationery in a marina presently, how about taking it home and sorting.....  this probably has disaster written all over it, but as the water level comes half way up the tube (about 4"/5" below entering the boat)  I'm mulling it not changing and the engine certainly wont ever be run.... is it a risk too far??  not sure my insurance would be too pleased?

Is this one of those jobs where i really need to be there for the duration?!!

Anyone else done this?  

This is the hatch, although taken a while ago - its much worse now.... it does have the flange people describe below...

20190803_110819.jpg

Edited by robtheplod

I would cut a piece of 3/4 ply to size and then assuming your weed hatch has a flange around it I would get a selection of G clamps and clamp the thing on tight, a bit of silicon would help too. If its windy you just might get a bit of choppy water slopping about. Apart frtm that you won't be able to sleep so get it covered.

• Greenie 3

You should not leave the weed hatch open.  But.

You do not need the complicated bits of a weed hatch, only a plate over the top of the hole and something to stop it moving. 

So cut a bit of 18mm ply big enough to cover the hole and find a rubber doormat or similar to be the seal.  Put doormat over hole, put ply on top. Pile a couple of 56lb weights or a load of bricks on top to stop it moving. 

Job done.

Depending on your weed hatch design you may be able to clamp the temporary lid on with G clamps.

If really paranoid you could seal the ply to the hatch with silicone or marine flex.

N

• Greenie 1

1 minute ago, Bee said:

I would cut a piece of 3/4 ply to size and then assuming your weed hatch has a flange around it I would get a selection of G clamps and clamp the thing on tight, a bit of silicon would help too. If its windy you just might get a bit of choppy water slopping about. Apart frtm that you won't be able to sleep so get it covered.

good point... the not sleeping bit and sloppy water..... thinking this is too risky.....

You’ll only worry about it if you do.

I’d take something else home to work on.

And leave the weed hatch to a nice sunny day when you can get out somewhere countrified and then potter about with it.

However, I did once take mine home but left a wooden replacement with a seal. Worked ok.

• Greenie 1

I'm so sorry everyone for wasting your time here.... just remembered she's in for blacking in June so that would mean a worry free week if i take it then whilst she's not even in the water... ideal.... plus i could scrounge some blacking as well to sort the lower bits!   sorry!!!!

• Greenie 2

8 hours ago, robtheplod said:

I'm so sorry everyone for wasting your time here.... just remembered she's in for blacking in June so that would mean a worry free week if i take it then whilst she's not even in the water... ideal.... plus i could scrounge some blacking as well to sort the lower bits!   sorry!!!!

Sileby Mill black the weed hatch and put on new seals when they black boats. You could do the top at the boat yard and if the flange is a bit rusty wire brush and paint  prior to fitting new seals