TV aerial

Maudesmaster

Featured Posts

21 minutes ago, IanD said:

and needs a reliable internet provider, and a big data allowance, and a good cellular modem and aerial for when cellular reception is poor, and a streaming stick, and...)

All of which I have 😉

Makes life easy.

I will admit it's been a bit flakey the last couple of days but they are working on my local mast (there is scaffolding up around it) and I can't move the house to a better location 🤭

Thank you all for your input

My daughter came to visit and showed her tick poppa how to use I phone hotspot for Netflix etc We have a Vodaphone mobile WiFi but quite expensive and often runs out of data usually at the good bit of a film 

I have decided to go for a ballade as it suits my lifestyle (bone idle) and will look nice on the roof 

once again thank you everyone 

• 5 months later...

99.9% of conversations about TV reception revolve around terrestrial transmitters.

However all of the land based broadcasts are also on satellite (go on - show me which ones aren't...).

It's not too difficult to find  a mooring with a clear view of the satellites cluster; use your phone as a compass, and plan your mooring as you cruise along.

Seemples.

2 hours ago, OldGoat said:

99.9% of conversations about TV reception revolve around terrestrial transmitters.

However all of the land based broadcasts are also on satellite (go on - show me which ones aren't...).

It's not too difficult to find  a mooring with a clear view of the satellites cluster; use your phone as a compass, and plan your mooring as you cruise along.

Seemples.

We cruise from one side of the country to the other and we always get good TV from either a cheap aerial on a pole or over the internet by using the 'hotspot' facility on our phone to our smart TV. 

Satellite is so expensive and we have found it to be unnecessary. 

2 hours ago, OldGoat said:

Seemples.

And they are mostly available online live and catch up which is why we gave up on aerials and satellites and now just stream off the internet.

48 minutes ago, Bargebuilder said:

We cruise from one side of the country to the other and we always get good TV from either a cheap aerial on a pole or over the internet by using the 'hotspot' facility on our phone to our smart TV. 

Satellite is so expensive and we have found it to be unnecessary

The 'basic' BBC and ITV type channels are all free on satellite 

Since our main terrestrial transmitter mast was upgraded a few tears ago we've not needed the dish so I can't give you a list.

here you go:-

https://www.freesat.co.uk/channels

Edited by OldGoat

13 hours ago, OldGoat said:

Since our main terrestrial transmitter mast was upgraded a few tears ago we've not needed the dish so I can't give you a list.

Indeed, and freesat is the same price as freeview…..ie free. You do get quite a few more channels on freesat, and a lot more High Definition channels. However the extra channels are mostly rubbish and the extra HD channels are nice but not necessary on my boat as we have a 24 inch tv, so you don’t really see much difference. Also it is a bit of a faff setting up the dish on the boat, so we don’t bother with it anymore.    

44 minutes ago, booke23 said:

Indeed, and freesat is the same price as freeview…..ie free. You do get quite a few more channels on freesat, and a lot more High Definition channels. However the extra channels are mostly rubbish and the extra HD channels are nice but not necessary on my boat as we have a 24 inch tv, so you don’t really see much difference. Also it is a bit of a faff setting up the dish on the boat, so we don’t bother with it anymore.    

both are £159 a year.... :)

14 hours ago, OldGoat said:

Yes the channels are free, we have Freesat at home, my reference was to the price of the equipment to pick up the signal, specifically the slightly more tasteful dome type and the satellite box to go with it; isn't that expensive?

• Greenie 1

1 hour ago, Bargebuilder said:

Yes the channels are free, we have Freesat at home, my reference was to the price of the equipment to pick up the signal, specifically the slightly more tasteful dome type and the satellite box to go with it; isn't that expensive?

Short answer - yes they are more expensive than "a dish on a pole" . 

Apart from the convenience of the device locating the signal, the downside is thatbeing at roof level the dish may not pick up a signal at all or not as strong as a dish on a pole.

• 1 month later...

Thank you all for input 

we went for the ballade on a telescopic pole Vary rarely use the pole totally up seldom half up 

only been a few places where we don’t get any telly and a few places where reception has been poor so far very pleased 

• Greenie 1