Leak in water pipe?

XLD

Featured Posts

Well if you have a leak, water will be coming out somewhere - e.g. dripping tap, weeping joint, pressure relief valve on calorifier dribbling. 

If there are no such leaks then the problem may be some debris in the non return valves in the pump allowing water to leak back from the pressurised pipework towards the water tank.

Does your calorifier have a PRV (it should).? This may be leaking.  Try twiddling the knob on the PRV.

Look at the outlet from the PRV to see if it is weeping.

Or could be pump valves as David above says.

May or may not apply to you but a leaky valve on a loo is a good hidden way of losing water- especially if its a dump through where the bowl seal isnt brilliant.

I can get at least half a kettle full before my pump kicks in- Ive seen other boats where three drips from the tap seems to do it - so would be much easier on my own boat to find that leak!

59 minutes ago, PaulJ said:

can get at least half a kettle full before my pump kicks in- Ive seen other boats where three drips from the tap seems to do it - so would be much easier on my own boat to find that leak!

Temporarily depressurising any accumulator in the cold water side could decrease the pump cycling time and increase the drip rate, making any leak easier to find.

20 hours ago, BEngo said:

Does your calorifier have a PRV (it should).? This may be leaking.  Try twiddling the knob on the PRV.

Look at the outlet from the PRV to see if it is weeping.

Or could be pump valves as David above says.

No drips from the PRV would indicate a problem with the pump if no leaks are apparent.

Edited by swift1894

1 minute ago, MtB said:

Water passing back up the pipe through the pump and back into the water tank will produce pump cycling like this too, without water escaping ANYWHERE!

What type and model of Whale pump is it?

Simply turn off the valve from the water tank and see what happens.

• Greenie 1

To expand on what @Slim said. Does your water tank have a stop valve on the pipe to the pump? Most do. Is the water pump relatively close to the water tank? Immediately after the pump has run to pressurise the system, turn the tank stop valve off. See if the pump tries cycling again. This will tell if the pump is leaking backwards, or not. Obviously, don't open any taps while you are doing this test.

• 1 month later...
On 20/02/2022 at 23:39, XLD said:

Thanks everyone for your help. I’m going to change the pump and see what happens. It will be in a few weeks but I’ll let you know the outcome👍

Renewed pump, end of problem.

On 15/02/2022 at 14:04, Jen-in-Wellies said:

Temporarily depressurising any accumulator in the cold water side could decrease the pump cycling time and increase the drip rate, making any leak easier to find.

Which is why I installed my accumulator with an isolator valve.

14 minutes ago, blackrose said:

I'd keep the old pump as a spare and see if you can replace the NRV.

I think there is no actual non-return valve, just a inlet and delivery valve per pumping chamber of which there may be three.

The valves are made from a plastic film so if the OP can get the pump apart he may find he can clean the valve seat. There are overhaul kits for some pumps but for the priced and effort myself and others have concluded it is best all round just to fit a new pump.