Need recommendations - May trip (near London)

StevieD63

Featured Posts

If the OP wishes to avoid locks all together (not sure I would as that is much of the fun) then a short break on an Ashby Boat would fit the bill.

Again some nice boats to be had and a good company to hire from (we have twice)

https://ashbyboats.com/

Haven't checked out getting to Stoke Golding from London via public transport though but I reckon that would be Euston to Nuneaton (just over an hour) and then a 15 min taxi ride to Stoke Golding.

• 1 month later...
4 minutes ago, Adelante 1 said:

Hello, If you have not already something booked you could try www.riverholidays.co.uk A boat on the Thames which is (in my opinion) a little prettier than the Canals, not far from London 45 minutes train to Didcot 

Point of order, Didcot is not on the Thames and not really near it. Best find out where riverholidays base their boats. It could be miles form a railway station.

Edited by Tony Brooks

20 minutes ago, Tony Brooks said:

Point of order, Didcot is not on the Thames and not really near it. Best find out where riverholidays base their boats. It could be miles form a railway station.

Apologies if iI wasn't clear, Didcot is the nearest train station direct from London to the boat base.  it would be no more than a 15 minute taxi ride to their base, or perhaps contact the owner and see if they could do a collection from the train. 

• 1 month later...

Not sure if you managed to find something suitable already, but we are a fairly new hire company based on the south Grand Union. Choice of boats available and located in the beautiful Chilterns countryside. we are less than an hour from London by train: www.chilterncanalboatholidays.com

I personally haven't been to the UK, but have heard about the Grand Union Canal in Birmingham. The fact nobody mentioned it, I am curious to know if it can be covered off from London. Does this canal trip not match the thread starter's parameters?

26 minutes ago, Cyryl said:

I personally haven't been to the UK, but have heard about the Grand Union Canal in Birmingham. The fact nobody mentioned it, I am curious to know if it can be covered off from London. Does this canal trip not match the thread starter's parameters?

The Grand Union Canal Company was formed by the merger of several independent smaller companies, and its total route mileage, including the various arms and branches, is nearly 300 miles. The name Grand Union Canal is now more usually applied only to the main line between London (Paddington Basin) and Birmingham, some 137 miles. But in Birmingham the GU doesn't get into the city centre, (whereas the Birmingham Canal Navigations and Worcester and Birmingham Canal do), so it isn't particularly thought of as a Birmingham Canal.

I wouldn't pay too much attention to most TV channels or youtube blogs, to be  honest.

Just to second the votes for Heyford, and for Bridge boats in Ely (a very good train service from London, and a well kept fleet).  The Fens are very isolated & quiet, and lots of wildlife, and some pubs if you plan ahead.  If you go there you can moor in one of the oldest nature reserves in England (Wicken Fen).  (You can just see my boat in this early morning photo from January).

dsc_5765.jpg?w=1024

On 04/05/2022 at 15:52, David Mack said:

The Grand Union Canal Company was formed by the merger of several independent smaller companies, and its total route mileage, including the various arms and branches, is nearly 300 miles. The name Grand Union Canal is now more usually applied only to the main line between London (Paddington Basin) and Birmingham, some 137 miles. But in Birmingham the GU doesn't get into the city centre, (whereas the Birmingham Canal Navigations and Worcester and Birmingham Canal do), so it isn't particularly thought of as a Birmingham Canal.

I got it now. Thanks for clearing my queries. 👍