Alternator/battery/other shenanigans... any ideas please? 

Ewan123

Featured Posts

1st brush pic. They look like almost new brushes to me and they will be wobbly until they are pushed back into the holder. All look normal.

2nd bush pic. Part worn but still look serviceable length wise. They will be wobbly until pushed back into the holder BUT one brush is worn to show a badly grooved slip ring.

Slip ring pic. The back slip ring looks badly grooved to me. Many are not that thick so eventually wear right through the copper/brass ring.

As most brushes nowadays come as part of a brush holder assembly or as part of the regulator so yes, if you can get the holder or regulator out anyone who can twiddle the spanner should be able to fit a new assembly. However the A127 regulator and some Bosch alternators need a knack to lift the regulator and brushes out without snapping a brush and too any people just stick new brushes in without even thinking about checking the slip rings.

No reason not to use jump leads t charge the other start battery but  would want to ensure whichever bank you are chargng from is very well charged first.

Edited by Tony Brooks

1 hour ago, Tony Brooks said:

1st brush pic. They look like almost new brushes to me and they will be wobbly until they are pushed back into the holder. All look normal.

2nd bush pic. Part worn but still look serviceable length wise. They will be wobbly until pushed back into the holder BUT one brush is worn to show a badly grooved slip ring.

Slip ring pic. The back slip ring looks badly grooved to me. Many are not that thick so eventually wear right through the copper/brass ring.

As most brushes nowadays come as part of a brush holder assembly or as part of the regulator so yes, if you can get the holder or regulator out anyone who can twiddle the spanner should be able to fit a new assembly. However the A127 regulator and some Bosch alternators need a knack to lift the regulator and brushes out without snapping a brush and too any people just stick new brushes in without even thinking about checking the slip rings.

No reason not to use jump leads t charge the other start battery but  would want to ensure whichever bank you are chargng from is very well charged first.

I take it I probably need to get the alternator to someone that can properly rebuild it then for a long term solution (as far as can be judged from my pics)?

Ok, will have a go a charging the other once the connected one is definitely charged.