Anyone heard of Rothercraft boat builders?

Sphinx123

Featured Posts

Personally, I can't see anything that would instantly put me off. At that price bracket I would expect to have a lot of work to do. Try finding a boat for under £30k that doesn't.

Some work is within the ability of the purchaser, some isn't. If you can weld, a hull may be within your capabilities to repair. If you can't weld, or at least not that much, then something with a good hull but some work needed on the engine and fit-out may be more your thing.

A purchase of a boat that isn't selling quickly (and many are) will probably involve several visits. The cost of some mats to mop out the oil and then pumping the water out as @David Mack suggests is negligible. I would be inclined to do that asap, then see what happens between then and the survey. It will give an indication as to how bad things are. Also, check for drips from the stern tube and if there is some grease left, wind it in to stop the drips. Get the engine running for a bit (once it's dry) and see whether that results in oil or water coming out somewhere. This will tell you a lot about the engine and the source of water for little time and money.

My first guess would be that a boat owned for a long time by someone of advancing years may well end up like that as they become less physically able to get into the bilges and sort it out. I wouldn't see it as a problem if one quick clean up sorts it out.

The big one is going to be the condition of the hull, but you will need a survey for that.

Alec

3 minutes ago, agg221 said:

Personally, I can't see anything that would instantly put me off. At that price bracket I would expect to have a lot of work to do. Try finding a boat for under £30k that doesn't.

Some work is within the ability of the purchaser, some isn't. If you can weld, a hull may be within your capabilities to repair. If you can't weld, or at least not that much, then something with a good hull but some work needed on the engine and fit-out may be more your thing.

A purchase of a boat that isn't selling quickly (and many are) will probably involve several visits. The cost of some mats to mop out the oil and then pumping the water out as @David Mack suggests is negligible. I would be inclined to do that asap, then see what happens between then and the survey. It will give an indication as to how bad things are. Also, check for drips from the stern tube and if there is some grease left, wind it in to stop the drips. Get the engine running for a bit (once it's dry) and see whether that results in oil or water coming out somewhere. This will tell you a lot about the engine and the source of water for little time and money.

My first guess would be that a boat owned for a long time by someone of advancing years may well end up like that as they become less physically able to get into the bilges and sort it out. I wouldn't see it as a problem if one quick clean up sorts it out.

The big one is going to be the condition of the hull, but you will need a survey for that.

Alec

True. Thanks for your suggestions about what to do with the water/oil situation. You're right, buying some mats and clearing that up asap would probably be very worth doing before the survey.

Me and my partner are happy to take on a project so long as the hull is sound, since we are handy with carpentry and mechanics but neither of us know how to weld. But as you said, I'd need a survey to see the condition of the hull

14 minutes ago, ditchcrawler said:

If you are going to do a total refit you would probably be around the same budget for a new shell at £28K

I'm thinking of going in at a lower offer than £28k though to be honest, since it's a project and the owner told me he's keen to sell it now and isn't sentimental about it because he has the memories.

I have looked into shells but not a whole lot. Maybe I should do some more research on that. I think though, if I recall correctly, a 45ft may be more than £28k

2 minutes ago, David Mack said:

Lymm Marina's cheapest 45ft sailaway is £39k.

Precisely.

I think as a general point that some people are not aware of just how much demand for boats and rises in steel prices have driven up both prices and lead-times. I would expect to be able to reduce that £28,000 by negotiation, and if there are issues which become apparent during the survey that will reduce the figure still further.

To the OP, as an aside, have you run across Danni & Joe's narrowboat rebuild series on Youtube? https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLlmgZH37X2WnAv-aWijhYAfmzZm6QIWgI It is a fairly honest diary of what it takes to start from stripped back hull to a useable boat. It is not rose-tinted!

Alec

2 minutes ago, agg221 said:

I think as a general point that some people are not aware of just how much demand for boats and rises in steel prices have driven up both prices and lead-times. I would expect to be able to reduce that £28,000 by negotiation, and if there are issues which become apparent during the survey that will reduce the figure still further.

Agreed, and at this end of the market the contents of the boat are significant too.  Water pumps, stove, cooker, fridge, cables, loo, plumbing, flooring, panelling, windows etc. soon add up to many thousands of pounds.  Reuse of these as and where appropriate makes a lot of difference to budget on a renovation.

You won't get much on that list in a bare sailaway.

6 minutes ago, agg221 said:

Precisely.

To the OP, as an aside, have you run across Danni & Joe's narrowboat rebuild series on Youtube? https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLlmgZH37X2WnAv-aWijhYAfmzZm6QIWgI It is a fairly honest diary of what it takes to start from stripped back hull to a useable boat. It is not rose-tinted!

Alec

Funnily enough I was watching one of their videos last night!

I'm aware that it would be a big project. I've gone through a whole range of emotions over the last 9 months while thinking about whether to do this to be honest haha - terrified, unsure, excited, determined, back to terrified... but now I'm more confident about it. I want a project to work on, and my partner wants a project to work on. To us, it does seem hard and stressful. But it also seems fun. And if worse came to worse, I can sell whatever boat I purchase. I know there's a chance we may not break even if I sell, but my partner reminded me today that it's more about the experience and the boating life than it is about breaking even (although, if did sell, that would be great!)

32 minutes ago, n3sh14 said:

I'm aware that it would be a big project. I've gone through a whole range of emotions over the last 9 months while thinking about whether to do this to be honest haha - terrified, unsure, excited, determined, back to terrified... but now I'm more confident about it. I want a project to work on, and my partner wants a project to work on. To us, it does seem hard and stressful. But it also seems fun. And if worse came to worse, I can sell whatever boat I purchase. I know there's a chance we may not break even if I sell, but my partner reminded me today that it's more about the experience and the boating life than it is about breaking even (although, if did sell, that would be great!)

Some people take on bigger projects.