Upper manifold assembly for Kelvin J2

DanGoodman

Featured Posts

Hi all,

I am restoring a J2 that was dismantled and then passed between a number of people before it reached me. Somewhere along the way the upper manifold assembly (the two pipes that take water to and from the heads) has been lost. As such I am trying to source a replacement, if anyone has one they would be willing to part with I would love to hear from you. As these parts are modular, the manifold off any J series would work.

All the best

Daniel

Are you looking for the front part (No 1 cylinder) or the rear one (No2 cylinder) or both ?  ( there is also  a third sort which fits no 2 and no 3 cylinders on a J3 or J4). I dont think I have either of the J2 ones, but they would not be impossible to fabricate, in extremis. You would need to remember the little "scoop" on the inside face of the upper pipe which directs the water flow round the cylinder head then out into  the bottom pipe.

Shout if you would like photos- as it happens mine are off the engine at present.

Would be worth asking Dick Goble, Phil Trotter at RW Davis, or Seaward Engineering on Pollokshaws Road in Glasgae.  Unfortunately spare brass (OK its Bronze or gunmetal) and copper items are hard to come by- they were too easy to weigh in.

N

Edited by BEngo

17 minutes ago, David Mack said:

A couple of years ago Reverie Canal Trading fabricated a manifold for a K2.

Thanks Dave,

Just to clarify, I have the exhaust manifold, it is the pipe work on the other side taking water to the heads that I am missing. I don't expect that the pipes would be hard to make up, but the cast mountings that also take the water into and out of the head would be a different story.

Thanks again

Daniel

A couple of simple patterns in polystyrene foam or similar  off a 3D printer would give you the basic shape.

The machining is then not too difficult.  Depends how much you are prepared to accept 'functional' over 'original appearance'.

N