Hurricane Diesel Hot Water Central Heating System

ChinnC100

Featured Posts

Hello! 

We are looking at purchasing our second Narrowboat, one vessel that we have viewed has Hurricane Diesel Hot Water Central Heating System. 

When tested it was quite noisy, does anyone have experience with this type of system?

26 minutes ago, ChinnC100 said:

Hello! 

We are looking at purchasing our second Narrowboat, one vessel that we have viewed has Hurricane Diesel Hot Water Central Heating System. 

When tested it was quite noisy, does anyone have experience with this type of system?

Yes.I had one on one of my boats. They are theee best of the systems available, do a great job. HOWEVER, they are bloody noisy.

5 minutes ago, mrsmelly said:

Yes.I had one on one of my boats. They are theee best of the systems available, do a great job. HOWEVER, they are bloody noisy.

Thanks for your swift reply... did you do anything to counter this noise?

For example, soundproofing?

Cheers!! :)  

Just now, ChinnC100 said:

Thanks for your swift reply... did you do anything to counter this noise?

For example, soundproofing?

Cheers!! :)  

No I didnt. When I bought the boat it was the only form of heating. I put a solid fuel stove in. That meant the hurricane was secondary use. The Hurricane packed in, it had done many thousands of hours. It was uneconomical to repair so I fitted a webasto in its place. I would have a Hurricane again, no problem. Yes more noise than others but a proper bit of kit.

Just now, PaulD said:

Mine is in the engine compartment on a semi trad. The engine compartment has sound insulation so not much noise in the boat.

8.5 kW and warms the boat up very quickly. 

Brilliant... We looked at a 62" Trad, Boatmans Cabin with the Machy equipment is next to bedroom, however it is divided by a Bulkhead and Door, so potentially can be cancelled out. 

Thank you! 

1 minute ago, mrsmelly said:

No I didnt. When I bought the boat it was the only form of heating. I put a solid fuel stove in. That meant the hurricane was secondary use. The Hurricane packed in, it had done many thousands of hours. It was uneconomical to repair so I fitted a webasto in its place. I would have a Hurricane again, no problem. Yes more noise than others but a proper bit of kit.

Thank you very much for your reply :) 

Just now, mrsmelly said:

For your information. Calcutt boats are first class with Hurricane heaters. Very knowledgable and do a good job servicing. They know all there is to know about the system and carry spares.

Yes, they are very reputable... 👍