Lpg engineer

Featured Posts

13 minutes ago, Scooter36 said:

Hi, does anyone know of a lpg gas engineer, in watford, hertfordshire area.

I need a cooker and hob connecting, and boiler disconnected and capped, on my narrowboat?

Thanks

Alex

I'm sure you know this, but it is not an 'LPG gas engineer' you need.

It is a "Boat certified LPG engineer" (they have to pass different training courses for such as LPg in a house, LPG in a caravan. LPG in a boat etc etc).

The engineer will have a small card (like a driving licence) that will show each category of gas installation he is allowed to work on.

24 minutes ago, Alan de Enfield said:

I'm sure you know this, but it is not an 'LPG gas engineer' you need.

It is a "Boat certified LPG engineer"

Getting picky, not necessarily. If the OP is a liveaboard the "Boat certified LPG engineer" also needs to be Gas Safe Registered (assuming the OP expects to pay them). There are plenty of people about with the right training and tickets who are not Gas Safe Registered. Most of them are employees of companies and work under the Gas Safe Registration of their employer.

And if the OP is a leisure boater, any ol' Tom, Dick, or Harry can do it. Even you or me. 

P&S Marine at Bridgwater basin?

Uxbridge Boat Centre?

/pedant

And what you want is not any sort of Engineer.  You want a suitably qualified gas fitter, or maybe a technician.

/pedant

N

2 minutes ago, MtB said:

And if the OP is a leisure boater, any ol' Tom, Dick, or Harry can do it. Even you or me. 

I thought legally it had be any 'competent' ol' Tom, Dick or Harry.

N

4 minutes ago, BEngo said:

I thought legally it had be any 'competent' ol' Tom, Dick or Harry.

N

Nope. If a leisure boat, even people as incompetent as Alan or me can do it. Only liveaboard boats (and probably commercial vessels) fall under the scope of the GSUIR.

I expect you are thinking of the 'payment' issue. To get paid to do it on a liveaboard, membership of the body administering the register (GSR these days, but this can change) is mandatory. To do it free of charge on a liveaboard, competence alone is sufficient.

2 hours ago, Rebotco said:

If you search the Gas Safe site HERE you can find qualified engineers by location and the categories they are authorised to deal with.

And then make sure you don't use any of them unless someone you know and trust  can vouch for them... 

Being qualified is not the same as being able to do the job....

8 minutes ago, jonathanA said:

And then make sure you don't use any of them unless someone you know and trust  can vouch for them... 

Being qualified is not the same as being able to do the job....

The difference between qualified and competent 

15 hours ago, ditchcrawler said:

The difference between qualified and competent 

Quiet. Neighbor rents her house and the agent sent sent a Gassafe engineer round to do the annual safety inspection.  He refused point blank to believe the central heating boiler was behind the gas fire in the lounge, insisting it must be somewhere else.  He looked about 25 years old but he should have known that at one time such boilers were very common.