Spot the difference

Davids

Featured Posts

The first photo was taken 5 minutes after the boat moored, the second a few hours later.

Is this the way things are done now? Boat pulls up to the bank, steerer jumps off and before even tying up walks over to the No Mooring sign to see how it's connected to the fence. Satisfied with what he sees he knocks his pins in, ties up and disappears inside. A few hours later, as dark falls, he re-emerges and removes the sign. (All witnessed by people in the houses opposite).

Same thing happened, (different boat), the week before at the other end of the No Mooring zone.

20220206_125053.jpg

20220207_101443.jpg

• Haha 1

33 minutes ago, Davids said:

The first photo was taken 5 minutes after the boat moored, the second a few hours later.

Is this the way things are done now? Boat pulls up to the bank, steerer jumps off and before even tying up walks over to the No Mooring sign to see how it's connected to the fence. Satisfied with what he sees he knocks his pins in, ties up and disappears inside. A few hours later, as dark falls, he re-emerges and removes the sign. (All witnessed by people in the houses opposite).

Same thing happened, (different boat), the week before at the other end of the No Mooring zone.

20220206_125053.jpg

20220207_101443.jpg

I presume you have sent the details to CRT.

1 hour ago, Davids said:

20220206_125053.jpg

20220207_101443.jpg

So if the sign was removed after dark the second photo was taken at some point the next day? I can certainly see that they're different photos even without looking at the disappeared sign, it just seems odd how similar they look. They must have been taken at the same sort of time of day and the lighting conditions hadn't changed much. The second one is marginally brighter.

Edited by blackrose
  • Greenie 1

8 minutes ago, blackrose said:

So if the sign was removed after dark the second photo was taken at some point the next day? I can certainly see that they're different photos even without looking at the disappeared sign, it just seems odd how similar they look. They must have been taken at the same sort of time of day and the lighting conditions hadn't changed much. The second one is marginally brighter.

They don't look that similar and the lighting is quite different.  Look at the front fender on the boat next door, or the rope running to the tender.

Edited by doratheexplorer

8 minutes ago, blackrose said:

Well spotted. If the photographer took two shots they didn't move the camera or tripod. 

Looking at the patch of grass beyond the boats, I'd say the top photo has been Photoshopped.

1 hour ago, Davids said:

20220206_125053.jpg

20220207_101443.jpg

Out of interest, why is the no mooring sign there?

• Greenie 1

6 minutes ago, doratheexplorer said:

They don't look that similar and the lighting is quite different.  Look at the front fender on the boat next door, or the rope running to the tender.

Yes, I did say that they are different shots the lighting was different, but as Matchpoint says, the camera hasn't been moved in the second photo, so all I'm saying is it's possible that the second photo wasn't taken the next day.

1 hour ago, Davids said:

A few hours later, as dark falls, he re-emerges and removes the sign. (All witnessed by people in the houses opposite).

Just saying, something doesn't add up... The second photo cannot have been taken a few hour later as it would have been dark. And how was it witnessed by people on opposite side of the canal if it was dark outside?

Peter Falk, Columbo actor, dies aged 83 | Television & radio | The Guardian

Edited by blackrose

Easy enough to take a photo from the same spot/height/angle without even having to think about it: simply pop head out and rest elbows on the cabin top and duck back in, and repeat.

And naturally a curtain twitcher will be glued to the same spot waiting to pounce 

This has to be the most time wasting thread 

arrgh!,

can’t believe I keep comparing the two photos! 
🙄

• Greenie 1

First photo taken at around 16.30, not long after he arrived. I took it because I saw him eyeing out the No Mooring sign.

Second photo taken at around 08.30 the following day.

No photoshop involved, I cropped the pictures to remove the grey boat and pedestrians. The patch of grass may look strange to you but that is due to his exhaust smoke. His engine is running.

Since this is in London, there are lights everywhere and it never gets too dark to see what is happening 50 feet away.

The sign is there because this is opposite moorings, when boats are moored here it is not possible for the boats on the mooring to get in or out.

• Greenie 1

1 minute ago, Alan de Enfield said:

What sign ?

This one:

1861522005_Screenshot2022-02-09at12_38_05.png.fc0a5715b25fc0b48555c91ddc8eb2a0.png

Having snipped it out into a separate image, the perspective looks wrong to me. 

I agree with the others who suggested it was photoshopped in, to falsely create the impression it was removed by the boaters later. 

Can confirm not Photoshopped. Cropping is different, and when scaled to the same size they are different angles with subtle changes to various elements (ropes, reflections, shadows, bike handlebars, exhaust smoke etc).

Nice to see someone still using a Kodak Digital Potato to take snaps though :D 

Edited by Hudds Lad
add punctuation to make more sense

I wonder how much money CRT spend each year on replacing blue signs that have gone missing? And I wonder if they have a policy of not replacing them once they have gone missing a certain number of times.

Round these parts CRT  are removing some of their own new blue signs and replacing them with black ones.

2 hours ago, Davids said:

No Mooring zone.

20220206_125053.jpg

20220207_101443.jpg

Maybe the boat owner wanted the sign as a guide for the colour paint to buy while he did an overnight repaint on his craft. 

3 minutes ago, dmr said:

I wonder how much money CRT spend each year on replacing blue signs that have gone missing? And I wonder if they have a policy of not replacing them once they have gone missing a certain number of times.

Round these parts CRT  are removing some of their own new blue signs and replacing them with black ones.

Maybe CRT need to be more clear about what materials are used. Dibond I guess is best but needs a sticker on the back. 

20190226_110127.jpg

Edited by magnetman

In 20 years time when all the signs are sensibly black again I bet there will be quite a market for the old blue signs on eBay. Boaters will have parties to celebrate the anniversary of the end of the Blue Sign Pandemic and a blue sign will be a part of the ceremony.  😀

22 minutes ago, Davids said:

Wow, so now I'm a curtain twitcher, care to explain how you reached this conclusion?

For what it's worth the photos were taken from my deck, I probably spend more time there than sitting inside.

Amazingly I'm not surprised that rather than address the issue, IE: the safety issue caused, interfering with navigation and someone taking it upon themselves to illegally remove signs, I am being ridiculed for reporting it. 

Didn’t you think to shout over “ahoy! What do think you’re doing? If you moor there we can’t get our boats out!”

Edited by Goliath