I'm new to boating.. Where is the best to start my journey from?

Biafreespirit

Featured Posts

I'm buying a Narrowboat to live on the canal for the first time as a continuous cruiser. I'm so excited!😊 I heard that there is a very good community . I'm a bit worried regarding the security... How often people break in? What are the best alternatives to avoid that?The boat is now in Hayfield marina and I want to move it somewhere near Ealing ... But I don't know exactly where. Can someone please recommend me as I don't know where I can find space as well. 

Thank you in advance lovely people. 😊

3 minutes ago, Biafreespirit said:

I'm buying a Narrowboat to live on the canal for the first time as a continuous cruiser. I'm so excited!😊 I heard that there is a very good community . I'm a bit worried regarding the security..I would suggest you joint the London Boaters Facebook page. How often people break in? What are the best alternatives to avoid that?The boat is now in Hayfield marina and I want to move it somewhere near Ealing ... But I don't know exactly where. Can someone please recommend me as I don't know where I can find space as well. 

I would suggest you go on Facebook and join the London Boaters group. The are on the spot so as to say.

• Greenie 1

4 minutes ago, mrsmelly said:

Popcorn anyone?

2 minutes ago, ditchcrawler said:

I would suggest you go on Facebook and join the London Boaters group. The are on the spot so as to say.

Don't be mean Mrsmelly!

We don't want to scare new boaters off.

To the OP, break ins and vandalism are fairly rare,and can happen anywhere.

Be careful where you moor and avoid stopping in known scrote areas.You will get to know where these are.

You say you want to continuously cruise,so I assume you don't have to be around London,(unless you work there)

The Northern canals are much quieter and I think nicer scenery wise.The beer is also cheaper!

• Greenie 1

33 minutes ago, Biafreespirit said:

I'm buying a Narrowboat to live on the canal for the first time as a continuous cruiser.

I want to move it somewhere near Ealing.

If you are going to be continuous cruising, then you won't be somewhere near Ealing for very long. I suggest you read CRT's Guidance for boaters without a home mooring.

• Greenie 1

35 minutes ago, Biafreespirit said:

I'm buying a Narrowboat to live on the canal for the first time as a continuous cruiser. I'm so excited!😊 I heard that there is a very good community . I'm a bit worried regarding the security... How often people break in? What are the best alternatives to avoid that?The boat is now in Hayfield marina and I want to move it somewhere near Ealing ... But I don't know exactly where. Can someone please recommend me as I don't know where I can find space as well. 

If I were you I'd keep it in the marina until you're clear on what you're proposing to do.

If you're continuously cruising that means you keep moving (as the name suggests), so why you're asking for recommendations on locations near Ealing to move it to I don't quite understand? Do you?

The London facebook groups should give you a steer on where the worst crime areas are, as well as practical tips and advice on finding mooring spots, security issues, how to comply with the CRT continuous cruising rules on boat movement, etc. 

If I was taking my boat into London I'd fit a cheap wireless alarm system, with door contacts and a PIR sensor for the lounge and kitchen. At least that way you get woken up if someone's trying to break in, and nearby boaters will be alerted by the alarm, and by you shouting. 

Thousands of people live, work and continuously cruise in London, so it can be done, although there are some less pleasant aspects, e.g. queues for the water points, having to double-moor most of the time, etc.  

I've no idea what the community there is like, but I would imagine they'll be quite a bohemian and interesting bunch. Good luck! 

Edited by Tony1
  • Greenie 2
  • Love 1

1 hour ago, David Mack said:

If you are going to be continuous cruising, then you won't be somewhere near Ealing for very long. I suggest you read CRT's Guidance for boaters without a home mooring.

CRT are not in any way connected to this lake, long enough for at least 2 boats to moor unmolested in Ealing....😏

Screenshot_20220207-222922_Maps.jpg

• Haha 3

Thank you everyone! What I meant was the continuous cruising licence, because I need to move every 2 weeks... Its doesn't say anywhere exactly how many miles... I would like to know approximately....  I'm working in London Holborn... I just need to familiarise myself  with the canal map. Should I buy the golden licence? If the survey is going well tomorrow I'm having the boat and I'm a bit scarred...😔 Sorry for the stupid questions guys... I appreciate all the answers anyways.cheers! 

The licence fee is the same, just that continuous cruising means no base or mooring fees. However this is liable to be policed by the canal and river trust especially in London. 

https://canalrivertrust.org.uk/enjoy-the-waterways/boating/buy-your-boat-licence/continuous-cruising/continuous-cruising-your-questions-answered

The above may help you. 

You wont need a gold licence unless you are aiming to be on the Thames for some time or other EA rivers. 

I hope you've looked into this carefully! 

Edited by Stroudwater1
  • Greenie 1

Everythings a money pit now......entirely possible if I bought an actual money pit ,it would turn into a money pit.........on the same telly programs as moving from a 1000 quid a week flat into a narrowboat.....,are......... moving from 1000 quid a week flat into a Victorian  terrace that needs a million quid spent on the creek that flows directly underneath......before spending another million on the roof framing.........and the neighbours all are retired QCs lodging ten planning objections a week,as well as miscellaneous lawsuits over stuff like the amount of lichen on replacement rooftiles. !

Edited by john.k
  • Haha 1

9 hours ago, Stroudwater1 said:

You wont need a gold licence unless you are aiming to be on the Thames for some time or other EA rivers. 

Especially as the Thames from Teddington downstream needs no license (apart from possibly a VHF marine radio one) and no moorings suitable for the OP's use except in a "marina", and boy, won't those be expensive. The tideway is no place for the OP judging by the questions.

12 hours ago, blackrose said:

I think the OP said the boat was at Hayfield marina, wherever that is...

Probably Heyfield Marina, near Bugbrooke, Northampton, so the OP has quite a trip down first. But I'm afraid her naivety is really worrying. I can only imagine  she is talking of the Borough of Ealing, as there is no canal particularly near the town of Ealing. On the other hand the Borough takes in pretty much the GU main line from Brentford to Bulls Bridge and then the Paddington Arm  through Southall, Greenford, Perivale and Alperton.

I don't know if the OP based her thoughts on the fact that the Central Line of the Underground goes direct Ealing Broadway to Holborn, and the Piccadilly Line direct from S. Ealing, but it's a long trek to either of those stations and going to be a hell of a commute once she takes into account moving every two weeks, plus the difficulties of getting water, emptying loos, keeping clean and tidy enough. The OP does not say what previous boating experience she has, but it's pretty much a baptism by fire.

Tam

Edited by Tam & Di

I must admit, this is a worrying phrase: "and I want to move it somewhere near Ealing".

It reads as if she wants to park it somewhere near Ealing and expects to be able to stay thereabouts.  Sorry Bia, it doesn't work like that at all.  You need to be cruising across a much bigger range than that.

The nearest canal to Ealing is the Grand Union between Hanwell and Brentford.  There are a few mooring paces around there so you would be able to hang around that area for a few weeks, but if you are starting from Harefield Marina, I'd strongly urge you to slowly head north and take a few months to get used to your boat and cruising before heading into London.  You'll see a much nicer side of boating.  Rickmansworth is nice, and Cassiobury Park is lovely.  Keep heading north and you'll find some great places.  if you need to get into London regularly, you'll find that there are rail stations all along the canal route:  Croxley and Watford tube stations, then Kings Langley, Apsley, Hemel Hempsted, Berkhamsted, Tring overground stations.  By the time you get to Tring you'll be up in the Chilterns watching Red Kites glide over your boat. 

Alternatively you could be moored up next to a council estate in Hanwell, dodging dog shit on the towpath and pulling all kinds of crap off your prop...

• Happy 1

11 minutes ago, doratheexplorer said:

Keep heading north and you'll find some great places.  if you need to get into London regularly, you'll find that there are rail stations all along the canal route:  Croxley and Watford tube stations, then Kings Langley, Apsley, Hemel Hempsted, Berkhamsted, Tring overground stations.  By the time you get to Tring you'll be up in the Chilterns watching Red Kites glide over your boat. 

Or across the other side of London there are stations close to the rivers Lee and Stort all the way up to Hertford and Bishops Stortford.

12 hours ago, Biafreespirit said:

Thank you everyone! What I meant was the continuous cruising licence, because I need to move every 2 weeks... Its doesn't say anywhere exactly how many miles... I would like to know approximately....  I'm working in London Holborn... I just need to familiarise myself  with the canal map. Should I buy the golden licence? If the survey is going well tomorrow I'm having the boat and I'm a bit scarred...😔 Sorry for the stupid questions guys... I appreciate all the answers anyways.cheers! 

If you're working in Holborn and want to commute in there are several places on the canal with moorings near Tube stations -- the problem is that continuous cruising isn't going to work for you because you not only have to move every 2 weeks but over a significant range during the year, which is not exactly defined but is something like 20 miles.

If you want to stay in one place for commuting then you'll need to find a permanent mooring, these typically cost around £200 per month -- always assuming you can find one, because they're in short supply...

1 minute ago, IanD said:

If you're working in Holborn and want to commute in there are several places on the canal with moorings near Tube stations -- the problem is that continuous cruising isn't going to work for you because you not only have to move every 2 weeks but over a significant range during the year, which is not exactly defined but is something like 20 miles.

If you want to stay in one place for commuting then you'll need to find a permanent mooring, these typically cost around £200 per month -- always assuming you can find one, because they're in short supply...

Continuous crusing can absolutely work for someone working in Holborn, as long as you're prepared to commute by train.  This is eminently doable on the GU between Brentford and Milton Keynes. 

Also, £200 a month is a cheap leisure mooring in the midlands.  It's completely out of the question in London unless your boat is less than 20' long or you're prepared to wait for 20 years for a mooring at Kingsland Basin or similar.  More typically you'll be looking at £600+ per month, and that's likely to be a leisure mooring with no residential permission.

8 minutes ago, doratheexplorer said:

Continuous crusing can absolutely work for someone working in Holborn, as long as you're prepared to commute by train.  This is eminently doable on the GU between Brentford and Milton Keynes. 

Also, £200 a month is a cheap leisure mooring in the midlands.  It's completely out of the question in London unless your boat is less than 20' long or you're prepared to wait for 20 years for a mooring at Kingsland Basin or similar.  More typically you'll be looking at £600+ per month, and that's likely to be a leisure mooring with no residential permission.

I meant CCing over a short range and commuting in by Tube (what the OP seemed to be hoping to do) wasn't going to work, meaning this would have to be done outside the Ealing/GU area -- as you say, this is possible so long as you go outside London and commute in a lot further by rail.

You're right about pricing, IIRC residential moorings in West London (e.g. Engineer's Wharf) are about £500/month.

Edited by IanD