TV / (radio) / entertainment...

OldGoat

Featured Posts

Looking at boats  and 'what do you do of an evening'  -

Does anyone record any programmes and (possibly) watch them later?? As a secondary question do you use freeview or freesat or mebe both??

When I built my boat I equupped it with both media types becaause if one didn't work there was a chance the other might or did....

Having moored up and The Management (and to a lesser extent myself)  found that there were programme time clashes - which we could resolve by recording the "less important" broadcast.

Does everyone do the same - or not??

I suspect that some may not be aware of what's available - or mebe never thought?

(No act to grind, but curious)

Thanks,

O.G. 

Many people will have differing opinions here depending on what they are used to.

I only have Internet access, so 3g/4g etc. This allows me to watch catchup TV services, so no, never need to record anything as thats not how catchup works. This is easier than having to setup TV aerials and align etc. As an aside and separate to this if you watch catchup services only (as you would?) and don't use iplayer then you can save having a TV licence as well. 

I have a Panasonic PVR connected to a Freeview aerial. I record anything that I expect to want to watch and watch the programme when I want. An advantage of this over streaming from the internet is that I can wizz through adverts. ITV hub / All 4 etc all force you to watch adverrts.

• Happy 1

I have a Raspbery Pi running Kodi connected to either Freeview or Freesat receivers as needed.  Kodi runs a PVR for recording on-air programmes as needed.  It can also do an iplayer/sounds interface through the wifi although not itv/4/5.  There's also a torrenting module and soundcloud for music. It also indexes/classifies/plays locally stored files.  For emergency watching of 'Dancing on Ice' there's a Roku Express to stream 3/4/5 from the internet.

• Greenie 1
  • Horror 1

16 minutes ago, DaveP said:

I have a Raspbery Pi running Kodi connected to either Freeview or Freesat receivers as needed.  Kodi runs a PVR for recording on-air programmes as needed.  It can also do an iplayer/sounds interface through the wifi although not itv/4/5.  There's also a torrenting module and soundcloud for music. It also indexes/classifies/plays locally stored files.  For emergency watching of 'Dancing on Ice' there's a Roku Express to stream 3/4/5 from the internet.

Any chance of this being translated into English 😀

• Greenie 2
  • Haha 1

4K Firestick running all the usual YouTube/iPlayer/C4 etc. apps, also with sideloaded Kodi to access a 4TB NAS with our backed-up film library. Although i'm toying with the idea of using Plex instead of Kodi, but as i've been using it since it's XBMC days it's a wrench to shift over.

Living aboard we do watch some telly, unlike when we were leisure boaters when it was nice to get away from it. We have a Freeview TV connected to a Humax PVR recorder. We rarely watch anything live meaning we never have to tolerate the dreadful adverts, and always have something pre-recorded to watch if we want to on the very rare occasions we cannot get a TV signal.  

There's not a lot on TV that interests us but Murphy's Law means the few we want to watch sometimes clash, but the Humax enables us to watch/record up to 5 programmes at a time. We can also watch 'catch up TV' on the internet on the laptop which can also be routed to the TV via a USB cable if we want.

2 hours ago, Tim Lewis said:

Any chance of this being translated into English 😀

Seems not.

I've never encountered an emergency which required me to watch 'dancing on ice'. Perhaps my life has been too sheltered.

Kodi is an application that provides a media center, it used to be XBMC which was the XBox Media Centre that you could install on a hacked XBox.  There are lots of plugins for Kodi that enable connecting to various streaming services, some of these are serving illegal\pirated material so you have to consider which you use.