On alternator failure.

Featured Posts

1 hour ago, IanD said:

Taking lower-voltage (12V or 24V) taps off the battery bank raises the problem of imbalance between cells, not good especially for bigger batteries... 😞

I was meaning / thinking of 12v devices with low power draw such as car radios (OK not ones that have a ghetto blaster built in)

18 minutes ago, OldGoat said:

I was meaning / thinking of 12v devices with low power draw such as car radios (OK not ones that have a ghetto blaster built in)

You're still probably going to need some precautions to keep them in balance, even a small draw adds up in Ah over a long time with nothing to put it back.

And low-power (up to 20A) 24V-12V DC-DC converters are pretty cheap, even if you pay Victron prices... 😉

orion.png

Edited by IanD

5 hours ago, OldGoat said:

I originally did that, just a car radio used every morning and think it shortened overall life, can't prove it. Now we tend not to use the radio so much but it is now connected to the starter battery as it would be on a car.