Recommendations for BSC on river Wey

Mike Adams

Featured Posts

2 hours ago, gbclive said:

I used Roger Downer back in March 2017. Duke is a 1997 trad with a Kelvin.

He was very practical and helpful and I’d have used him again if we were still at Pyford.

He did mine last time but I don't think he is still working.

Ben Greene has done my last two inspections. Vre professional and helpful.

Although a  distance away (pay travel costs) Mark Paris was highly recommended to me  when I was going to move my mooring back to the canals- and I had a good conversation with him. He 'knows his stuff'.....

Edited by OldGoat

19 hours ago, OldGoat said:

Ben Greene has done my last two inspections. Vre professional and helpful.

Although a  distance away (pay travel costs) Mark Paris was highly recommended to me  when I was going to move my mooring back to the canals- and I had a good conversation with him. He 'knows his stuff'.....

Mark is indeed a good, no nonsense bloke. Ive known him years. He did my last MOT a couple of years ago.

Thanks

I have found a local one but I did note that the costs are going up on the last one! When I was on the BSS website I see that they were inviting applications to become BSS examiners but it seems the requirements for the course have gone up as well as the costs. Given the entry requirements, course fees etc maybe there is going to be a shortage of examiners.

46 minutes ago, Mike Adams said:

Thanks

I have found a local one but I did note that the costs are going up on the last one! When I was on the BSS website I see that they were inviting applications to become BSS examiners but it seems the requirements for the course have gone up as well as the costs. Given the entry requirements, course fees etc maybe there is going to be a shortage of examiners.

Thats good news - maybe they are going to teach the eaxminers to read and apply the actual rules, rather than just implementing what they think they should say.

57 minutes ago, Alan de Enfield said:

Thats good news - maybe they are going to teach the eaxminers to read and apply the actual rules, rather than just implementing what they think they should say.

Is this because they are going to have to be gas safe so as they can do the manometer test

1 minute ago, Tonka said:

Is this because they are going to have to be gas safe so as they can do the manometer test

No, not specifically - more a case of apply the rules as written : Do not fail a boat because the ventilation is not to the suggested volume.

No, not specifically - more a case of apply the rules as written : Do not fail a boat becasue it doesn't have an RCD fitted.

No, not specifically - more a case of apply the rules as written : Do not pass a boat where it actually fails one or more of the 'required' items.

Do not interpret the rules - apply the actual rules AS WRITTEN

• Greenie 1

4 minutes ago, Alan de Enfield said:

No, not specifically - more a case of apply the rules as written : Do not fail a boat because the ventilation is not to the suggested volume.

No, not specifically - more a case of apply the rules as written : Do not fail a boat becasue it doesn't have an RCD fitted.

No, not specifically - more a case of apply the rules as written : Do not pass a boat where it actually fails one or more of the 'required' items.

Do not interpret the rules - apply the actual rules AS WRITTEN

I hope you are joking. I do not have a rcd but have rcbo's

10 minutes ago, Tonka said:

I hope you are joking. I do not have a rcd but have rcbo's

No, my boat 'failed' because it didn't have a Residual Current Device. The RCD in the BSS regs is an 'advisory' not a 'required' item, but that irrelevant when the examiner says "I don't care what you say, you paid in advance, so unless you fit an RCD you get a fail".

I fitted an RCD the same day (a 'fiver' from toolstation) sent him a picture and he issued the BSSC the next day.

Reported it to the BSS who just said "we will check to see if he needs more training" and nothing more was heard.

16 minutes ago, Alan de Enfield said:

I fitted an RCD the same day (a 'fiver' from toolstation) sent him a picture and he issued the BSSC the next day.

Presumably you then removed the RCD and took it back to toolstation for a refund. Like the saying goes 'there is more than one way to skin a cat'

It will be interesting to see how it goes this time. I have never had a boat fail before and have found examiners comments extremely variable. I think the latest version of the regulations comes into force on the 1st April - perhaps they will lead to a more consistent approach. I shall need to read through them again carefully as there are some changes.

On 06/02/2022 at 13:02, Mike Adams said:

Both the previous BSC examiners I have used over the past few years seem to have packed it in. Any suggestions?

I have used Mike Chambers (Conway Marine Surveys) twice ... or is Mike one who has stopped? There is an examiner based on a boat just above Walsham Gates, but I don't have any contact details. There is a sign hammered into the bank ... last boat on the right heading upstream. 

Conway Marine Surveys

17 Downsview Avenue Woking GU22 9BT
michael.chambers263@ntlworld.com
01483 729846

4 hours ago, mrsmelly said:

Mark is indeed a good, no nonsense bloke. Ive known him years. He did my last MOT a couple of years ago.

I butt in here as we both have crossed paths in the distant parts (most harmouniously as it happened) - and it reminds me of the days when everybody knew everyone else. A smallish group with a common interest.

Now - methinks- thanks or not to the interweb, the bonds / contacts have become so wide  that it's difficult to remember who is who - which is a shame. It's more a matter of "who the ... is that, I know him from somewhere" and that's sad.

Does anyone else feel that way - or is it me, 80+ miles south and east of a proper waterway??

Apologies, Fred Drift 

16 minutes ago, OldGoat said:

I butt in here as we both have crossed paths in the distant parts (most harmouniously as it happened) - and it reminds me of the days when everybody knew everyone else. A smallish group with a common interest.

Now - methinks- thanks or not to the interweb, the bonds / contacts have become so wide  that it's difficult to remember who is who - which is a shame. It's more a matter of "who the ... is that, I know him from somewhere" and that's sad.

Does anyone else feel that way - or is it me, 80+ miles south and east of a proper waterway??

Apologies, Fred Drift 

You are quite correct old bean. Most of the people I know who live aboard, have done it for many years, most and I mean the vast majority are not on line, let alone this forum. Ive not boated long, we only lived aboard from 89 till last year, but when we moved onboard, there were very very few liveaboards. Between Bath and BOA when we moored there were about 30 boats in total, now its about a billion. We all knew each other in the main. I have now downgraded to a house, a move we never, ever hoped to have to make. However, things have changed massively ont system, and mainly not for the best. I am still in touch with friends with 50 years live aboard under their belts, we used to barby canal side many times during past summers. I think we probably met Lower Heyford or Thrupp when I had businesses there?

13 hours ago, mrsmelly said:

You are quite correct old bean. Most of the people I know who live aboard, have done it for many years, most and I mean the vast majority are not on line, let alone this forum. Ive not boated long, we only lived aboard from 89 till last year, but when we moved onboard, there were very very few liveaboards. Between Bath and BOA when we moored there were about 30 boats in total, now its about a billion. We all knew each other in the main. I have now downgraded to a house, a move we never, ever hoped to have to make. However, things have changed massively ont system, and mainly not for the best. I am still in touch with friends with 50 years live aboard under their belts, we used to barby canal side many times during past summers. I think we probably met Lower Heyford or Thrupp when I had businesses there?

Got it in one - and I'm expanding on it a bit to show others that the canals are still a community - not only for boaters but the landed folks who live and work by the canals.

We first met you when we stopped at LH to talk to the American lady who lived nearby and we had popped into the cafe for a snack. Some years later we stopped at the Pig Place for provisions and there you were again!

Now we're retiring from boating after some 50 years (aarrgghh) I look back with fondness and hope others following get the same enjoyment that we had.

13 hours ago, mrsmelly said:

Yes - got it on one! 

• Greenie 1