Is This The Worst Example Of Canal Art?

Tim Lewis

Featured Posts

3 hours ago, Captain Pegg said:

There is a fundamental error in the decoration (overlooking that it's applied to a horse).

Is it that there’s not enough white emulsion on it like London boat interiors and needs a pile of boat rubbish and compost toilet waste left just next to it, to be real London Canal art.

Edited by PD1964
  • Greenie 1
  • Horror 1

I rather like the Camden, painted horse, a lot better than the graffiti on the bridge which has despoiled the brickwork and is done by some mindless git. 

This is fun art, not dumming down, and cost a lot less than the horses' heads at the Falkirk wheel. 

Also its portable so you might see it next at another canalside venue. 

Edited by LadyG
  • Greenie 2

8 hours ago, matty40s said:

Far more appealing on the Rochdale....

Dt50tfpWkAA8oG_.jpeg

As a horse afficionada, that thing has a deformed hind leg, the front ones are also pretty bad shape, and the feathering on a Clydesdale or any shire horse start below the knee. Besides as far as I am aware the horse used would more likely be of the cobby, large common pony type, the mane is ridicous, giving it a neck of about twice reality.

I suppose if designed by a primary school child it could be awarded B minus, but artistic it is not. 

Edited by LadyG

Just now, LadyG said:

As a horse afficionada, that thing has a deformed hind leg, the front ones are also pretty bad shape, and the feathering on a Clydesdale or any shire horse start below the knee. Besides as far as I am aware the horse used would more likely be of the cobby, large common pony type, the mane is ridicous, giving it a ne k of about twice reality. I suppose if designed by a primary school child it could be awarded B minus, but artistic it is not. 

You do know its not meant to be an exact representation but rather an artistic interpretation? 

2 hours ago, LadyG said:

As a horse afficionada, that thing has a deformed hind leg, the front ones are also pretty bad shape, and the feathering on a Clydesdale or any shire horse start below the knee. Besides as far as I am aware the horse used would more likely be of the cobby, large common pony type, the mane is ridicous, giving it a neck of about twice reality.

I suppose if designed by a primary school child it could be awarded B minus, but artistic it is not. 

Being such a horse afficionado, maybe you could get a Shire to pull your boat.

That way you might travel more of the Canal network then you have in the last 3 years using your engine horsepower🐴

Edited by PD1964

As a cow afficionado, I'm very concerned about the lack of a fourth teat . . .

Seriously, the pedantic need to try and weave and sculpt using willow to emulate any kind of creature before criticising. It's art of a kind and not so easily accomplished than clicking a shutter. I think the Rochdale horse is great, so are the gorillas. (Love the Elvis one).

Woodland creatures near Sandridge, C.2000.

The dog just cocked his leg on one. It didn't seem to mind.

PICT0002 (Medium).JPG

PICT0004 (Medium).JPG

PICT0009 (Medium).JPG

Edited by Derek R.

4 minutes ago, koukouvagia said:

As an art installation it does exactly what good art should do: provoke, challenge and amuse.  It certainly doesn't have to be a literal or accurate representation of a horse.  I rather like it.

Same here 🙂

In 1987 12 flat steel silhouettes of horses by sculptor Kevin Atherton were erected along the railway between Birmingham and Wolverhampton. Several are visible from the New Main Line. And some were brought to site by boat since there was no road access available. This is the one at Albion Junction.

800px-Iron_Horse_sculpture_at_Albion_Jun

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/av/uk-england-birmingham-29109004

Edited by David Mack