oil amount in 1500 bmc

Jordon

Featured Posts

2 hours ago, Jordon said:

Does any one know how much oil is needed in a 1500 bmc thorneycroft and has any one got any pictures of a dipstick for that as well or knows where to buy one from Please. 

I would talk to Calcutt Boats but they may well ask you about the shape of the sump  because the marine version tended to hold more oil than the automotive one. The automotive ones often had only half its length the full depth.

The book says 8 1/4 pints, 4.68 litres including the filter. But this figure has changed over the years and as Tony says if it has a full length marine sump it will take more.

Have you lost your dipstick? If I can find one I will measure the distance from the sump bottom to the marks for you.

Odd thing with the 1.5D is that  the dipstick often touches the bottom of the sump. I have thought that this would eventually wear a hole but it seems not to be the case.

7 minutes ago, Tracy D'arth said:

The book says 8 1/4 pints, 4.68 litres including the filter. But this figure has changed over the years and as Tony says if it has a full length marine sump it will take more.

Have you lost your dipstick? If I can find one I will measure the distance from the sump bottom to the marks for you.

Odd thing with the 1.5D is that  the dipstick often touches the bottom of the sump. I have thought that this would eventually wear a hole but it seems not to be the case.

I don't know about the Thorneycroft version but the Newage/Tempest version the marine sump as cast iron so wearing a hole would be difficult. I have a feeling the JGM version was cast aluminum.