Airbnb Insurance for boats

David2911

Featured Posts

21 minutes ago, Alan de Enfield said:

I can assure you that renting out a caravan is not necessarily straightforward, and certainly not cheap to do.

We have just had one of ours reassessed for it safety certficate and it cost over £500, and, they keep introducing new rules - do rental boats need to have the overpressure vented gas regulators ? Caravans do.

Just now, Paul C said:

So your assertion that you can "lose the gas" is somewhat theoretical.

If the boat is static moored electric heating and water ..

23 minutes ago, Alan de Enfield said:

I can assure you that renting out a caravan is not necessarily straightforward, and certainly not cheap to do.

We have just had one of ours reassessed for it safety certficate and it cost over £500, and, they keep introducing new rules - do rental boats need to have the overpressure vented gas regulators ? Caravans do.

I would assume so ..

9 minutes ago, Paul C said:

I said domestic cooker, not induction hob. I'd not bother renting a place with just an induction hob.

Yes but that is just you. I like induction hobs..

I don't think we know the level of luxury being advertised and the prices. 

Some people might quite enjoy a short stay "slumming" on a boat if it was cheap enough. You might not want to live with an induction hob but a few days would probably be fine for most people .

This is a short let rental setup we are talking about not residential.

27 minutes ago, Alan de Enfield said:

I’d have thought that a venting gas regulator was the last thing needed on a boat!
In extremis, the over pressure device on the cylinder would do the job, but is only likely to activate in a fire or if some idiot has overfilled the cylinder.

9 minutes ago, magnetman said:

Yes but that is just you. I like induction hobs..

I don't think we know the level of luxury being advertised and the prices. 

Some people might quite enjoy a short stay "slumming" on a boat if it was cheap enough. You might not want to live with an induction hob but a few days would probably be fine for most people .

This is a short let rental setup we are talking about not residential.

I agree most people who stay in places like this understand it’s sort off “of grid experience “

• Haha 1

Also there is nothing wrong with induction hobs. They are actually incredibly clever devices. Easy to keep clean and they work by magic. You just place a metal pot or pan on a glass top and something happens to make it hot. no flame or heating element. Temperature is controlled by a touch panel so there are no knobs to clean. 

I reckon a dual induction hob and a microwave and perhaps an "air fryer" would be fine for the galley on a boat with mains electric connected. 

I use a single induction hob from about this time of year onwards on the country estate boat which has no connected services but big solar panels and good batteries. It is a really good way of cooking and not particularly greedy on power. 

Full size gas cooker also installed and of course one can cook on the fire in winter which is useful. 

1 minute ago, magnetman said:

Also there is nothing wrong with induction hobs. They are actually incredibly clever devices. Easy to keep clean and they work by magic. You just place a metal pot or pan on a glass top and something happens to make it hot. no flame or heating element. Temperature is controlled by a touch panel so there are no knobs to clean. 

I reckon a dual induction hob and a microwave and perhaps an "air fryer" would be fine for the galley on a boat with mains electric connected. 

Its still a bit theoretical, that a boatlord would rip out all the gas stuff and put in a dual induction hob, just so they can simplify their BSS and rent out a boat on a mooring for AirBnB. Sure, it could happen, but...........

• Greenie 1

1 minute ago, Paul C said:

Its still a bit theoretical, that a boatlord would rip out all the gas stuff and put in a dual induction hob, just so they can simplify their BSS and rent out a boat on a mooring for AirBnB. Sure, it could happen, but...........

We agree on this. Assuming the boat already has a sound gas installation which will pass whatever a rental setup needs that would be silly. 

There was some suggestion that getting the gas system authorised may be awkward. 

23 minutes ago, magnetman said:

Life without toast would be slumming it indeed. And a step too far for me!! 

Just now, TheBiscuits said:

Why do you think you can't make toast on an induction hob?

I reckon it would just dry out the bread.

Do you know otherwise then?! 

I suppose you could get an electric toaster and stand it on the induction hob.....

So the renter is going to come to the boat.....and get a handover on all the "quirks" of how things are done on a boat instead of a house? Then they're going to whack on the heating, boil a kettle while cooking dinner, then want a really long, hot shower. They might slum it and not have wifi, and/or telly. Or are your Airbnb residents not cooking on the boat, instead getting Uber Eats delivered to it? All for how much per night? Its worth considering; and probably worth talking to other airbnb hosts and/or renters.

If you can make it as normal as possible to a normal* house, you can charge the going rate. Any quirks, lowers the appeal and the price. There's some expensive Airbnbs out there which never get let out; and some cheap ones which do. Which do you want to be?

Edited by Paul C
  • Greenie 1

Cast iron skillet, works a treat.

Obviously you're toasting upside down so open cheese toasties require more care ...

Dammit I was saving cheese on toast for later in the debate!! 

1 minute ago, MtB said:

Dammit I was saving cheese on toast for later in the debate!! 

It's probably my most frequently cooked toast, either as a two-slice toastie for simplicity or with another pan inverted over it to melt the cheese.  You don't get the brown/black bubbly bits though unless you use a blowlamp...

It's probably my most frequently cooked toast, either as a two-slice toastie for simplicity or with another pan inverted over it to melt the cheese.  You don't get the brown/black bubbly bits though unless you use a blowlamp...

I most certainly do under my gas grill.

Get it bubbling furiously and going brown/black then lay slices of fresh cold tomato in the bubbling cheese. Then lashings of salt and pepper, YERM!!!!

those little 9L toasting ovens can do that and they are only about 650 watts at 230v. Very compact. 

Mine has an element above and below the grill. 

I keep it beside the Calor 700 boat cooker but do prefer the gas to be fair. 

Cantering off at a tangent, I've been looking for ages for a tabletop bread oven. One big enough to cook a loaf of bread but in particular, going up in temperature to 260C (or higher). Normal domestic ovens are always limited to 220C or 230C.

Which just isn't always quite hot enough.

25 minutes ago, magnetman said:

We agree on this. Assuming the boat already has a sound gas installation which will pass whatever a rental setup needs that would be silly. 

There was some suggestion that getting the gas system authorised may be awkward. 

Hire boat dont have a problem getting gas certifed

17 minutes ago, Paul C said:

So the renter is going to come to the boat.....and get a handover on all the "quirks" of how things are done on a boat instead of a house? Then they're going to whack on the heating, boil a kettle while cooking dinner, then want a really long, hot shower. They might slum it and not have wifi, and/or telly. Or are your Airbnb residents not cooking on the boat, instead getting Uber Eats delivered to it? All for how much per night? Its worth considering; and probably worth talking to other airbnb hosts and/or renters.

If you can make it as normal as possible to a normal* house, you can charge the going rate. Any quirks, lowers the appeal and the price. There's some expensive Airbnbs out there which never get let out; and some cheap ones which do. Which do you want to be?

I’ve been on at least 8 air BnB breaks this last 12 months and not cooked once 

48 minutes ago, Iain_S said:

I’d have thought that a venting gas regulator was the last thing needed on a boat!
In extremis, the over pressure device on the cylinder would do the job, but is only likely to activate in a fire or if some idiot has overfilled the cylinder.

When told it had failed the gas  safety test I asked why - apparently one of the main reasons for a cylinder leak / explosion / over pressure value operating is due to the Sun heating the cylinders