Lithium hybrid set up help required

luggsy

Featured Posts

17 hours ago, Alan de Enfield said:

The BSS justification (after a consultation period) was that when CO is produced on the boat, it can drift out of the window and get 'sucked into' a boat moored in front / behind thus affecting the 3rd party on the 'second' boat.

This is their reasoning as they cannot implement safety measures for the owner of the boat - only things that stop an adjacent boat, passersby ,or C&RT workers from Fire, Smoke, Gas or explosion.

Edit to add :

I jest not - this explanation can be found on the BSS website.

Can anyone explain to me why a smoke alarm doesn't meet these criteria too?

1 minute ago, Up-Side-Down said:

Can anyone explain to me why a smoke alarm doesn't meet these criteria too?

I doubt it - but, you can smell / taste smoke you cannot with CO, Smoke tends to rise and escape in the 'outside air' - CO is virtually the same weight as 'air' and just 'floats about'

That is why you have smoke alarms on the ceiling and CO alarms at the side of the bed at 'pillow height'.

22 hours ago, PD1964 said:

Surly when filling up, the Cill would be at the bow and not the helm, I keep it in tick over sometimes mainly on narrow locks.

Quite often in narrow locks the pattern is to push the boat backwards for a shortish distance before the forward pull catches again and rams the boat into the sill. The flows of water within a filling lock are quite complex and not easily seen.

9 minutes ago, Mike Todd said:

Quite often in narrow locks the pattern is to push the boat backwards for a shortish distance before the forward pull catches again and rams the boat into the sill. The flows of water within a filling lock are quite complex and not easily seen.

You can see that if you watch the level of the boat compared to the lock wall; first the bows rise a couple of inches and the boat moves backwards as the water starts to come in, which is when newbies put forward throttle on. Then as the water flows under the boat and bounces off the bottom gates the stern lifts a couple of inches and the boat starts to surge forwards pushed by the engine, as which point they either don't react in time and it rams the cill quite hard, or they throw the engine hard astern (smoke, cough cough...).

Often if you don't panic and do absolutely nothing the boat will first move back, then stop, then move forwards, then stop, and hit nothing at all... 😉

Edited by IanD
  • Greenie 1

1 hour ago, IanD said:

You can see that if you watch the level of the boat compared to the lock wall; first the bows rise a couple of inches and the boat moves backwards as the water starts to come in, which is when newbies put forward throttle on. Then as the water flows under the boat and bounces off the bottom gates the stern lifts a couple of inches and the boat starts to surge forwards pushed by the engine, as which point they either don't react in time and it rams the cill quite hard, or they throw the engine hard astern (smoke, cough cough...).

Often if you don't panic and do absolutely nothing the boat will first move back, then stop, then move forwards, then stop, and hit nothing at all... 😉

If you open the paddle one click count to 10 and open another click, repeating until the lock makes level its no problem at all. Some people even do it that way going down as well.

3 hours ago, IanD said:

It depends a lot on the length of the boat. When I had three, each would behave differently in the same lock.

Well let’s be quite clear, boats move forward going up in locks due to Bernoulli’s effect. Which states that the pressure in a fluid decreases when its velocity increases. Water flowing fast into front of lock = pressure reduction = lowering of water level at front of lock = slope created = boat slides down slope.

Edited by nicknorman
  • Greenie 1

19 hours ago, IanD said:

It does depend on boat length as well - this can affect, depending on  where the boat is positioned, whether the boat receives a full tow forward. The pattern does vary quite a  bit from one canal/lock design to another, mainly I suspect on the style and positioning of top paddles and inlets.

17 hours ago, ditchcrawler said:

If you open the paddle one click count to 10 and open another click, repeating until the lock makes level its no problem at all. Some people even do it that way going down as well.

And in some cases it matters not whether you go slowly or whack it up in one go - in other  cases it can be a disaster! The difficulty is knowing which is which!

15 hours ago, nicknorman said:

Well let’s be quite clear, boats move forward going up in locks due to Bernoulli’s effect. Which states that the pressure in a fluid decreases when its velocity increases. Water flowing fast into front of lock = pressure reduction = lowering of water level at front of lock = slope created = boat slides down slope.

But this only dominates at first when there is little room under the boat for water to flow (hence has to make it around the sides) but changes as the boat rises (along with the speed of the water into the lock)

21 hours ago, MtB said:

It depends a lot on the length of the boat. When I had three, each would behave differently in the same lock.

Also a small difference in length can significantly affect lock behaviour.

Both of my shareboats were 58 footers and didn't move about much in most narrow locks when going up.

My current boat is a 60 footer and gets sucked forward much more strongly despite only being a couple of feet longer.